Tuts 4 You

C++ question

GIV

Hi all.

I have bougth recently a C++ book where i have a CD with Turbo C++ Lite (the book is written by Dr. Kris Jamsa & Lars Klander).

I don't want to use this compiler on CD.

I want to use a new interface for coding (the one on CD is MS-DOS fashion).

What do you recommend me?

Example code:

#include <studio.h>
void main(void)
{
printf ("All about C/C++");
}

Edited by GIV

CodeLite:

http://codelite.org/

If it's the book "Totul despre C si C++ - Manualul fundamental de programare in C si C++" by Dr. Kris Jamsa, Lars Klander, then it's a pretty old book, good nonetheless.

A tip for you: in the book, the c++ chapters have code(cpp files) which use header includes like this: "#include <iostream.h>". This ofcourse doesn't work in modern compilers. So you will have to write:

#include <iostream> 
using namespace std;

And it's "stdio.h" not studio.h

• Like 1

There are various compilers and IDEs, a nice one seems to be CLion (very new). For small projects I always use CodeBlocks, VisualStudio is too bloated in my opinion.

• Like 1

CodeLite:

http://codelite.org/

If it's the book "Totul despre C si C++ - Manualul fundamental de programare in C si C++" by Dr. Kris Jamsa, Lars Klander, then it's a pretty old book, good nonetheless.

A tip for you: in the book, the c++ chapters have code(cpp files) which use header includes like this: "#include <iostream.h>". This ofcourse doesn't work in modern compilers. So you will have to write:

#include <iostream> using namespace std;
And it's "stdio.h" not studio.h

Thank you for your tips. I'm eager to try. And yes is that book with the exact description in my native language. I thougth is comprehensive. That was the reason of purchase. Do you recommend me a newer and better one?

For C++  "The C++ Programming Language 4th Edition" By Bjarne Stroustrup, or for C "The C Programming Language" Ritchie & Kernighan. (this one is old, but good) 

These can be found in electronic format, the second one you'll find it in Romanian & printed form too.

If you have never programmed before, choose "Programming -- Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup:

http://www.stroustrup.com/programming.html

Edited by GaBoR
  • Like 2

If you are developing specifically for Windows, I would stick with Visual Studio. 

If you are looking for cross-platform support, I would use gcc for compiling.

• Like 2

I tried codeblocks, vs2008, vs2010, vs2012 and vs2013.... vs2010 is the best IDE.

VS2012/VS2013 -> very slow and buggy

Can't say I agree with that, I use VS2013 daily for work and have 0 issues with it. There are a few small syntax bugs with C/C++ but nothing that breaks the ability to code or anything in that matter.

• Like 1

Usually i dont recommend QT over native c++ compilers/IDE but since the coming age seems to be more about xplatform implementations you can give a head start from qt itself as it supports not only c++ itself but a nice GUI toolkit (considering your this question) . For list of books i dont recommend "the C++ Programming Language" by stroustrup . its more like a reference to seasoned c++ coders and not for beginners . If you have prior knowledge in computers(which you have) i will recommend either accelerated c++ by Koenig ,Moo or C++ primer by Lippman ,Moo . 
here is a nice link from stackoverflowon the matter of choice of compilers , it really depends on your field of your work , on windows its best recommended to work with visual studio (free version or paid one) but if you are more into academic level study, GCC is best recommended . A thing to note : most of the things like codelite,codeblocks etc are basically IDE with mingw/cygwin or other c++ compiler in the backend . same with visual studio where the language support is installed as "language service".
A well managed emacs/Vim with good plugins setup is enough to write industry standard codes . but all these will just make you more confused . If i were you(since i have seen your interest in windows app reversing and i am assuming you will stick to windows mostly), i would use visual studio . its best suited for your job (though being bloated) .

• Like 2

Is possible to use CodeBlocks in design mode for a let's say a simple frame to do some calculus from a number of textboxes?

How?

You can use a third party resource editor like Resedit for Win32 GUI projects, this comes handy with Visual C++ Express too, because it doesn't have a resource editor :

http://www.resedit.net/

• Like 1

If you need VS2010 ultimate, just go for the trial and use google to find a medicine: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/4/7/24733615-AA11-42E9-8883-E28CDCA88ED5/X16-42552VS2010UltimTrial1.iso

Notice that the concepts of C++ have not much to do with coding GUI, if you want to code GUI applications fast, learn C# instead. Once you get the object oriented design of C#, you could also design objects in C++

Personally Qt as GUI framework is my favorite, it's very large (especially Qt5), but very easy to use (like C#) and cross-platform.

Greetings

• Like 1

agree with atom0s on this subject.

Have had no difficulties either with VS2013. One thing I found out with the newer versions

of VS is take for example the following:

Struct thisstruct = {0};

Pointer * thispointer = 0;

Now in the previous versions of VS if you were typing in the thispointer and accidentally put in a period (.) instead of (->) VS

would automagically change it for you. They apparently stopped doing this which I sadly miss, but Oh well. It's a very good

IDE and the compiler one of the best.

JM2C,

CZ

i know a nice reproducible GUI dialog bug in VS 2013... still not fixed in latest patch. (see attachment)

You cannot scroll and you dont see all options...

Performance on SSD is utter crap compared to VS2010, etc. etc.

post-22354-0-52589000-1412695234_thumb.p

Edited by Aguila

YES Aguila that has driven me nuts! Not to mention VS x64 compilers don't even support inline asm, there's no GUI way to deal with makefiles, useless features like WPP tracing, precompiled headers, and many more complaints. The only good part is their CLI compiler.

notepad++ FOR LIFE

I tried codeblocks, vs2008, vs2010, vs2012 and vs2013.... vs2010 is the best IDE.

VS2012/VS2013 -> very slow and buggy

I'm using VS2013 whenever I need to code something in C(++). I'll have to disagree with this. I used VS2010 previously, but VS2013 is so much better regarding GUI elements and code highlighting. I haven't noticed any slowness or buggy behavior, except the one in your second post I quoted.

Can't say I agree with that, I use VS2013 daily for work and have 0 issues with it. There are a few small syntax bugs with C/C++ but nothing that breaks the ability to code or anything in that matter.

Agree on this fully.

i know a nice reproducible GUI dialog bug in VS 2013... still not fixed in latest patch. (see attachment)

Yeah, that's an unfortunate bug I get all the time too, hopefully they'll get it fixed soon. I run VS2013 from a HDD and it performs just fine, or then I just lack eye for these kind of things. :yes:

I'm using VS2013 whenever I need to code something in C(++). I'll have to disagree with this. I used VS2010 previously, but VS2013 is so much better regarding GUI elements and code highlighting. I haven't noticed any slowness or buggy behavior, except the one in your second post I quoted.

I use VS2010 with Visual Assist X of course http://www.wholetomato.com

Even in VS2013 the syntax highlight and code completion is really bad. Visual Assist X solves this problem in ANY VS.

Anyway... I have a good PC: Core i7, SSD, 16GB RAM.... VS2010 is or it appears to be much faster than VS2013, I don't know the reason. I guess this will stay a mystery.

Edited by Aguila

I use VS2010 with Visual Assist X of course http://www.wholetomato.com

Even in VS2013 the syntax highlight and code completion is really bad. Visual Assist X solves this problem in ANY VS.

Anyway... I have a good PC: Core i7, SSD, 16GB RAM.... VS2010 is or it appears to be much faster than VS2013, I don't know the reason. I guess this will stay a mystery.

Alright, gotta admit I don't know anything about what kinds of awesome addons exist. I just chose the dark theme of VS2013 and customized the colors and scrollbars from the settings. I'm content enough with it. As I've been coding almost entirely ASM in the past, my expectations for an IDE are quite low. And your specs are a lot better than mine, so I guess regarding the slowness I'm just more "tolerant" in place of a better word. But anyway, I see your point. :thumbs:

1veMCj3.png

Edited by HellSpider

I have SSD and I can most assuredly tell you that the performance is far better than the old HDD. I don't

have the problems you report, but I can say that I never used VS2010 as I upgraded from my old winxp

machine running VS2005 to win7 and the latest VS2013 Professional Edition. I couldn't be happier with the performance,

even when I have (2) instances of VS2013 running concurrently. You do have a lot of temp file cleanup afterwards

which could be slowing you down, but we could turn this into a pissing contest and that benefits no one.

CZ

Edited by CondZero
  • Like 1