Tuts 4 You

Top Antivirus Software Review

CodeExplorer

I always use AVG with an !exclude directory for unpacking... AVG because that magic company saved my from a very annoying Win32/Virut and Win32/Sality all the other tools failed doing that job if I remember correctly..

Sad the most AV have a lot of false-positives, some even hate UPX (see virustotal.com)

Greetings

Win32/Virut

ah, this one brings back old memories... ;)

i did write and disinfector for the variant i caught once (Win32.Virut.B, if i recall correctly).

Did i ever post it here? Couldnt find it via the search function...oh, well. :)

• 2 months later...
Teddy Rogers

Is Antivirus Software a Waste of Money?

Companies spent more than $3 billion on antivirus last year. Were they wasting their money?

/>http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/03/antivirus/

Ted.

Interesting article Teddy. I feel like I shouldn't disagree because apparently most security experts don't use AVs but I just don't see how that can be good. For the price, how can you beat the protection? They never really gave a solution for anything other than don't be ignorant and click anything you think is a scam. This is like telling people to throw out there AVs which most of the time includes their firewall, IDSs, phishing filters, etc. I mean how can a person figure out when you visit a site if one of the posts on it have cross site scripting problems and it's stealing their session cookies or one new exploit could lead to a dozen malware apps being installed? And if you have no installed AV how can these people report not having a problem. It's not like an installed trojan will pop up a message box telling you it's stealing your info. And the guys example at the end is only one guy compared to the millions helped by AVs and he still uses an AV. Anyway, if I knew someone wasn't using an AV that is who I would go after first because I don't even have to protect my malware just obfuscate a little. Am I just crazy of behind in the times or is this pretty common and why?

I used Symantec, atm no av or firewall.

I think, I have been exercising a bit on hf, that Norton Internet Security 2012 is good enough for a home pc.

Why: If someone tries to install malware(you download something, click it, nothing happens, by then you probably are a member of a botnet then.

Symantec collects data and if the file(by name and some more checks? crc, md5 or whatever, not much downloaded) is not in their database, you will, in most cases, get a popup were you are warned that something fishy is trying to do things on your pc.TIME for scanning.

This is not exactly how it works, but somewhere in this direction.

I think, no matter what you have installed as AV, probably 80 or 90 % off all computers are infected. BBrrr. Ever heard of runtime and scantime, anti sonar, anti avira etc.? Ever heard of the word 100% FUD? (Fully undetectable)Well, everybody here probably already knows, but this does exists.

Well this is the truth atm, I think. Correct me if I am wrong!

bye

Edited by grizzmo