Tuts 4 You

Shoutbox...

Teddy Rogers

Shoutbox Poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Tell me what you think of the Shoutbox...

• It is okay, I don't mind it on the index page
    • It is okay but I don't think it should be on the index page
    • It is rubbish. Delete it!

Teddy Rogers

There is a new board feature in test called Shoutbox. You may already have seen the icon link at the top right of the page or if you are using the default skin notice it at the top of the board index.

Currently this is just a test phase to guage reaction and may not become a permanent feature of the board. I am interested in peoples opinions of it, if they like it or what they would like to see changed. It is also currently going through development at IPS so it may be possible to throw in some feature suggestions.

At the moment it is available to Junior members with at least 5 posts. This is because I don't want to see it being used as a means to crack request. Locked Juniors will never be able to use it :rolleyes:

Full Members and all groups above will have full use of Shoutbox.

Currently Shoutbox is viewable on the index page of "IPB 2.2.0 Default" but not on any sub-pages. You can also access it by clicking the link at the top right of the page under "Shoutbox".

If you don't like Shoutbox you are able to disable it from showing in your personal preferences...

Ted.

Edited by Teddy Rogers
Added the Shoutbox poll...

Teddy Rogers

Some people don't like using IRC and would find it easier with Shoutbox. It doesn't have to be added to the top of the index page and this is why I'm testing it and asking people what they think. Personally I don't like it at the top of the index page either, it looks crap...

Ted.

Teddy Rogers

This is not D22. The D22 author is working with IPS to make a similar but better port for IPB...

Ted.

c0ol i liked it thx again Ted :D

btw why it doesn't work with Seek 'n Destroy 2008 skin ?!?!

Edited by Xspider

Teddy Rogers
btw why it doesn't work with Seek 'n Destroy 2008 skin ?!?!

It is only used on the default skin while it is being tested. I don't want to have it on every skin because most people probably don't want to see it. If people like it and it can be seen to be useful to board members I will then wait to see what features become available in the final release and how it could be intergrated within the board.

I have put forward suggestions I had and those received by some board members to the developers at IPS.

If people think this is a crap feature and do not like it I hope they will come forward and say so or tell of aspects they do not like. I would rather have lots of honest opinions than a few good ones and a feature on this board which people want and would like to use. To be honest I am not sure if the board really needs something like this but there is hopefully no harm in trying it out... :)

Ted.

I dont see what the big deal is, Just about all forums these days have a shoutbox, Its not a new invention and like ted said "It does no harm", So i dont understand this "Trial" period, You either have have a shout box or not.

I dont see what the big deal is, Just about all forums these days have a shoutbox, Its not a new invention and like ted said "It does no harm", So i dont understand this "Trial" period, You either have have a shout box or not.

I think the "trial" period comes from the fact that we'll see how it goes to see if lamers don't put requests in the box as this is not a requesting board for cracks and the like..

other than that its always nice to shout once in a while :)

SuperCRacker

I find it a cool feature to have, and also appreciate that we can disable it from our preferences panel.

SC.

I had the same thoughts as zer0burn.. more request and useless help requests.People don't search and then this will help them searching less, as they find it easier asking then doing things themselves.But, trial definitely will give a better idea.

Oricode

I like it, saves you from writing a pm for each question and is similar to an IM chat...

no crack requests yet =)

• 1 month later...
Added a poll to the original topic for the Shoutbox... vote away... :)

Ted.

Not sure if it was intended, but I was impressed by the subtle sort of this poll !

The more different alternatives for "It is okay..." votes - the bigger the chances for a winning "Delete it!" :biggrin:

Teddy Rogers

I see you are an optimist and not a pessimist. You could say:

* It is okay but I don't think it should be on the index page

* It is rubbish. Delete it!

Means remove it from the site... :)

Ted.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Teddy Rogers

I am trial testing the Shoutbox on the right hand side column of the main index page. Let me know what you think.

The main Shoutbox page is still available if you want to view it in a full page...

Ted.

I didnt see it at first because I collapsed the right column thing.

Anyway, I can hardly read a single entry like that :|