Tuts 4 You

How to show the printed serial number of an external usb hard drive using c#

ramzi2015

I need to show the printed serial number of an external usb hard drive using c# .
I have found many sources in "github" but the returned serial number is not correct. the only program that gave me the correct serial number is "CrystalDiskInfo" which is open source but written in c ++ which I do not understand.

Here is an example with "CrystalDiskInfo" with the correct result:

hdd6.png.9220ddb01df52a87b64d8ad3a597e0b7.png

Thanks for help

24 minutes ago, ramzi2015 said:

do not forget that it is an external Usb hard drive

You never mentioned that. :) USB enclosures are tricky, some of them they report their own serial numbers and some - serial numbers of the actual hard disk.
My WD Book enclosure works fine with the code I suggested earlier.

Try running in command prompt:

wmic diskdrive get Name,Model,SerialNumber,Size,Status

If you don't see the correct information there, then C# application will not be able to get it without writing a lot of specific code (like Crystal Disk Info).

Edited by kao
sometimes -> some of them
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, kao said:

You never mentioned that. :) USB enclosures are tricky, some of them they report their own serial numbers and some - serial numbers of the actual hard disk.
My WD Book enclosure works fine with the code I suggested earlier.

Try running in command prompt:

wmic diskdrive get Name,Model,SerialNumber,Size,Status

If you don't see the correct information there, then C# application will not be able to get it without writing a lot of specific code (like Crystal Disk Info).

No luck, the serial number is still incorrect with the "wmic" command.  I think things are more complicated than I thought. So, I will try to use a third party tool to get the correct result.

Thank you anyway