Tuts 4 You

Converting .NET to native improves protection?

pr070n

Hi everyone,

I've read many topics here but didn't find the information I was looking for.

If the question is dumb then it's because I have no knowledge in protecting/virtualizing/obfuscating/cracking software.

To keep it simple. I have a .NET application that I want to protect. Does converting it to native (rewriting it in C/C++) and then protecting/virtualizing it with software such as Themida or VMProtect improves the protection?

What I want to know, is native protected software more secure than .NET protected software?

If yes, what's the strongest protection software for native applications? The good ones I know are Themida and VMProtect. Is there any other software that's better than both?

If no or not worth the effort of converting it to native then what's the strongest protection software for .NET applications?

Thanks in advance.

Are you willing to change language just for this reason? at the basis of the use of a specific language there should be very specific reasons, you should not evaluate the passage only for this aspect which, although important, is not everything.

The advantage of native code is that it is not directly decompilable like .NET code, but i honestly don't think using themida or vmprotect protects you from any possible attack. The same reasoning applies as you can do with a .net protector.

Edited by LoLLo90

Converting your application completely to native code can help in something, however you must take into account that it is not only because you are native and protected by some form of virtualization that you will be safe, keep in mind that regardless of the chosen language, you will never will be protected, of course a virtualization will beat the lazy, but keep in mind that if you leave flaws and loopholes there is no protector that will do anything, follow good practices when writing your C ++ code, do not leave loopholes, between Themida and VMP, certainly VMP, keep in mind that anyone will dump their software regardless of the protector and what matters is mutation and applied virtualization.
I recommend that you do tests before taking any direction, this prevents future unpleasant problems due to lack of quality and loopholes in the code, good luck

Regards.

5 hours ago, LoLLo90 said:

Are you willing to change language just for this reason? at the basis of the use of a specific language there should be very specific reasons, you should not evaluate the passage only for this aspect which, although important, is not everything.

The advantage of native code is that it is not directly decompilable like .NET code, but i honestly don't think using themida or vmprotect protects you from any possible attack. The same reasoning applies as you can do with a .net protector.

Well, i find .NET a lot easier and I have a lot more experience in it than C++. I know that the this reason is not what people would change the language for but it's also important as it makes it harder to crack with the use of virtualization.

4 hours ago, XOR0XA said:

Converting your application completely to native code can help in something, however you must take into account that it is not only because you are native and protected by some form of virtualization that you will be safe, keep in mind that regardless of the chosen language, you will never will be protected, of course a virtualization will beat the lazy, but keep in mind that if you leave flaws and loopholes there is no protector that will do anything, follow good practices when writing your C ++ code, do not leave loopholes, between Themida and VMP, certainly VMP, keep in mind that anyone will dump their software regardless of the protector and what matters is mutation and applied virtualization.
I recommend that you do tests before taking any direction, this prevents future unpleasant problems due to lack of quality and loopholes in the code, good luck

Regards.

I know that everything is crackable and it's a matter of time. My application will not deal with any type of licensing, it's free.

But my goal is to protect the application so it becomes harder to read or follow what the code is doing, reading strings, know how certain algorithms works (mutation?) ..etc.

Does protectors like Agile.NET, VMProtect or Themida have the capabilities of doing what I need and also provides tampering protection?

Edited by pr070n