Tuts 4 You

Flare On 6

kao

Following the good old tradition, this thread will be dedicated to the annual Flare-On challenge. :) Who's going to participate this year?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The FireEye Labs Advanced Reverse Engineering (FLARE) team is thrilled to announce that the popular Flare-On reverse engineering challenge will return for the sixth straight year. The contest will begin at 8:00 p.m. ET on Aug. 16, 2019. This is a CTF-style challenge for all active and aspiring reverse engineers, malware analysts, and security professionals. The contest runs for six full weeks and ends at 8:00 p.m. ET on Sept. 27, 2019.

This year’s contest will feature a total of 12 challenges covering a variety of architectures from x86 on Windows, .NET, Linux, and Android. Also, for the first time in Flare-On history, the contest will feature a NES ROM challenge. This is one of the only Windows-centric CTF contests out there and we have crafted it to represent the skills and challenges our FLARE team faces.

If you are skilled and dedicated enough to complete the Sixth Flare-On challenge, you will receive a prize and recognition on the Flare-On website for your accomplishment. Prize details will be revealed later, but as always, it will be worthwhile swag to earn the envy of your peers. Previous prizes included belt buckles, a replica police badge, a challenge coin, and a huge pin.

Check the Flare-On website for a live countdown timer, to view the previous year’s winners, and to download past challenges and solutions for practice. For official news and information, we will be using the Twitter hashtag: #flareon6

I better brush up my NES hacking skillz.. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Extreme Coders
On 8/18/2019 at 8:45 AM, fasya said:

Any hints where to look for the flag in level five(demo)? I have no clue where to look for :(

Spoiler

With the right tool this can be solved in minutes.  You don't even need a debug or unpack it.

2 hours ago, Extreme Coders said:
  Hide contents

With the right tool this can be solved in minutes.  You don't even need a debug or unpack it.

mmm... 🤔

do you mean something like https://niemand.com.ar/2019/01/01/how-to-hook-directx-11-imgui or https://github.com/Sh0ckFR/Universal-ImGui-D3D11-Hook?

like maybe use that to change the colors to reveal the flag

Edited by evandrix

4 minutes ago, TheProxy RE said:

you need for directx 9 not 11, still possible to do without any hook

ah yes, right, i was more referring to the idea when including the links

it worked for me on win10 directx12 though

6 minutes ago, Extreme Coders said:
  Hide contents

Yes something like that.

ok yay, awesome! i shall go try that

Edited by evandrix

Extreme Coders
8 minutes ago, evandrix said:

ok yay, awesome! i shall go try that

Spoiler

BTW, I used a different tool - to extract the 3d models and assets.

9 minutes ago, Extreme Coders said:
  Hide contents

oh yeah, that's genius

5 hours ago, Extreme Coders said:
  Hide contents

yep, i think i found/used the same tool as you

i ❤️ quick wins ^_^

I am stuck at 6 (bmphide). I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or I just don't get it. From the exe I found that I should look at the red pixels for retrievable data (specifically, the last 3 bits of each red byte). However, when I try to apply this to the image they gave us, it fails. I wouldn't want to write too much here and spoil the fun. However, if anyone could give me a hint, I would really appreciate it.

I am stuck on the second one for an overlong amount of time. Can someone point me in the right direction as I have look at this file in multiple dissemblers and hex editors but nothing stands out to me.... I feel I am missing something obvious. 

I got to bmbhide. I can't write decrypt. And all I know. I will use is the beautiful functional JITHOOK. So I will not solve the challenge without any help. It's really very difficult. I participated for the first time.

Extreme Coders
42 minutes ago, 0X7C9 said:

I got to bmbhide. I can't write decrypt.

Spoiler

Its possible to brute force without writing a decryptor. But atleast you need to recover the encrypted data from the image.