Tuts 4 You

Motorola 68360 JTAG

secursig

Anyone got any experience working with the CPU32 or CPU32+ architecture? I'm working on a target that runs its code out of flash and swaps some data in and out of SRAM, but usually not executable code...so I have no breakpoint abilities. I'm having to reflash the target ( lengthy process ) each time I want to try a change from static analysis and it's really frustrating only being able to single step the CPU and not have it stop anywhere. I'd kill for just a single breakpoint at this point.

I tried hardcoding in some stops (bgnd opcode) just as a compiler would to force the CPU into background mode to break, but the changes of the executable code are causing checksum problems which are another problem themselves, so I'm not even able to reach my functions I want to debug.

Referencing the datasheet for the CPU http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/MC68360UM.pdf the chip has an onboard system integration module external to the CPU core but on the chip and provides for a lot of additional functionality including JTAG and has some of its own registers including hardware breakpoint registers, but my JTAG is unable to write them. Obviously software BP are out the window since it's running in flash.

I know this is a shot in the dark but if anyone has experience working with this kind of thing, even if it's with a different CPU, I'd love to hear from you.

5981cc35309b7_ScreenShot2017-08-02at8_56_02AM.png.ff343060b552b315bc088719eeadc5ca.png