Tuts 4 You

Tracing

fred26

Relevant sections of the manual:

Without writing a plugin you cannot output the same format as ollydbg does, but you can output data of your choice (EIP + instruction text + some registers)

• Like 2

Thanks. It seems you need a plugin and not a default command in the current builds?

How can you do a trace via the GUI?

Edited by fred26

I downloaded the latest version and now it works.

But, after setting the txt file and when the trace finishes after 50000 steps the file is empty - it was created though.

What can I do to see the content of the trace or make the debugger dump to the txt file?

Also, can I do an indefinite trace ?

Thanks!

Edited by fred26

The file will only have the contents you tell it to have. My guess is that you didn't read any of the resources I pointed you to because one of them clearly answers your question.

23 minutes ago, mrexodia said:

The file will only have the contents you tell it to have. My guess is that you didn't read any of the resources I pointed you to because one of them clearly answers your question.

Thanks. Ok, I understand that you need to tell the debugger what to write.

I added {p:cip} {i:cip} to the Log Text and I see the counter and instruction. How can I output all register values ? Can I add a break line between each instruction?

Thanks again

Edited by fred26

I could create a trace such as {p:cip} {i:cip} rax: {rax} rcx: {rcx}, which logs the RAX and RCX registers together with the current rip address and instruction.

However, I can't make line breaks in the text file, any hints how to?

Also, how can I write the content of let's say [rsp+0x24] ? E.g. [rsp+0x24] = 0x0000000000000001 ?

Thanks

@fred26 The text file uses line breaks in the form of \n, which notepad.exe won't properly display. See http://utf8everywhere.org/#faq.crlf for the reason. If you want UTF16+\r\n you can use the option Misc -> UTF-16 Log Redirect (I added this a minute ago so you might have to wait a little for the snapshot to be updated).

You can display the contents of [rsp+0x24] with something like "[rsp+0x24] = {[rsp+0x24]}" See http://help.x64dbg.com/en/latest/introduction/Input.html and http://help.x64dbg.com/en/latest/introduction/Expressions.html for what things you can use as an expression (the format string takes "{expression}"). If you want to display something similar to what is shown in the registers view (string/symbol if found) you can use "[rsp+0x24] = {a:[rsp+0x24]}"

If you know how to program, you can use CB_TRACEEXECUTE to do things fully manually. You can also use a trace command (_plugin_registercommand) or add your own custom format function (_plugin_registerformatfunction) to do more custom-things.

Edited by mrexodia
  • Like 3

@Kurapica you should take a look at CB_TRACEEXECUTE. This function allows you to work in full tracing performance without all these nasty timer hacks. It also allows you to use x64dbg's trace condition and log functionality.

Also to log all jumps/calls with the native tracing functionality, you can use "dis.isbranch()" as log condition.

Edited by mrexodia

Thanks both.

@mrexodia thanks for the insights. I will try the plugin as well. Just a last question; can you text out the value addressed by the operands? Let's say you have: mov rax, [rsp+20], can you do something to read the memory addressed in the instruction ?

Thanks

Edited by fred26

Last question. How about a really large trace. Do you need to input the number of max instructions?

Edited by fred26

Generally I would recommend against doing a really large trace, but you can just change the settings to something like 4 billion.

It registers an event callback. You can use PLUG_CB_TRACEEXECUTE.stop to control the 'break condition' but the default routine will run first. So for example if the user trace condition is "rax == 0" and this is true, you callback will get info->stop == true. If you change info->stop to false it will continue execution anyway. You can find exactly how this is implemented at: https://github.com/x64dbg/x64dbg/blob/development/src/dbg/debugger.cpp#L1331

7 hours ago, mrexodia said:

It registers an event callback. You can use PLUG_CB_TRACEEXECUTE.stop to control the 'break condition' but the default routine will run first. So for example if the user trace condition is "rax == 0" and this is true, you callback will get info->stop == true. If you change info->stop to false it will continue execution anyway. You can find exactly how this is implemented at: https://github.com/x64dbg/x64dbg/blob/development/src/dbg/debugger.cpp#L1331

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I can understand the frustration behind some of the posts here. I'm sure - once going - things clear up nicely, but in the mean time... I've read all the doc pages mentioned above; thought I had it figured out, but... (did look for the 'p: & i:' but does not seem to be explained anywhere ~ I suppose 'i = instruction')

Anyways: I'm trying following trace logging: "{rip} >= 0000000140203260 & {rip} <= 000000014020336C" (= my log condition). I do get login info, but nothing between those 2 mem addresses (which is the area where my breakpoint kicks in). Btw: typing "rip <= 000000014020336C" gives me correct 'true/false' in the command prompt; depending current address location.

ps: it would be nice if a) the trace window would remember previous entry (entries ~ via dropdown selection), and latest logfile name & location. also: append option would be nice as well. (no pressure :))

ps2: I always get a "Failed to start trace" error, but I do get proper loging though. And: although I regularly forgot to fill in the logfile name, it does take/overwrite the latest logfile selected.

Edited by paul44

I was no longer able to edit my prev post, so... edited my prev log condition to: [ {rip} >= mem.base(rip)+D02260 & {rip} <= mem.base(rip)+D0236C ].

Still not what I was expecting (btw: && and & both work). and the expression does work appropriately in the command window.

A nice variant to this would be: start loging when passing 1st address, and stop loging after 2nd address (so it would also register "subfunctions", residing outside those memory boundaries, but called from within the defined boundary).

The manual says:

• If log condition is set, evaluate the expression (defaults to 1);

This means that log condition must be a valid expression. Probably what you want is:

rip >= 0000000140203260 && rip <= 000000014020336C

Which will enable logging of the log text (for which the format can be found here) if rip is between 0000000140203260 and 000000014020336C (inclusive).

Hi

How to trace and break when a Unicode string loads into the register without knowing the address? Want to find the address where it loads the string.

For example, I want to find -    EAX 03FB8EA4 UNICODE "demostring"

Thanks