Tuts 4 You

how do I find exception handler?

gundamfj

Me again. Question still in regarding with the Locky sample I got. 

Sample downloaded from: https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sample/03f6ab1b482eac4acfb793c3e8d0656d7c33cddb5fc38416019d526f43577761?environmentId=4

While investigating its network behaviour, I notice the malware post request to many random-looking domains like wefnew.it, irewr.eu, etc. It looks like this sample has DGA (domain generation algo) embedded. I search through the code and finally lock down the range to a function(at addr 0x4060de) that raises an exception. After the exception was handled, a new domain is produced. It uses the API RaiseException. It's typical SEH exception handling(in C++). But I couldn't track down to the code that actually produces a new domain. Any help to track down DGA?   I admit I lack of experience.....  I dont know how to debug SEH. It's not a library. It's embedded into the application itself. So I can not press 'Run to user code' and it lands normally at something I want.  If you want to confirm that DGA exists, fire up API-Monitor and hook all Windows Socket functions.

fs:[0] typically points to it gs:[0] in x64, dont forget a vectored continue handler can override it

and then hardware bpx the seh should do the trick

Edited by evlncrn8

13 hours ago, evlncrn8 said:

fs:[0] typically points to it gs:[0] in x64, dont forget a vectored continue handler can override it

and then hardware bpx the seh should do the trick

THX. I can see the whole SEH chain in x32dbg. Where do I place hardware breakpoint? I go through code of the first SEH handler. SEH handler searches the correct exception handler and later it should jump to it. Where to place hardware bp such that the debugger would stop at the very beginning of the exception handler? Could you please explain 'hardware bpx the seh should do the trick'.

Edited by gundamfj