Tuts 4 You

Driver doesn't want to start

cyrex1337

(Sorry, I may have posted this in the wrong section. I believed this is the TitanHide section -.-)

Hey. I wanna use TitanHide driver to hide x64dbg/ollydbg from certain protectors. As Reverse Engineering environment I have set up a virtual machine (VMware Workstation 12.1.1 build-3770994) with Windows 7 Professional x64 (SP1).

Moreover, I compiled TitanHide myself on my host operating system Windows 10 Pro x64 using Win7 Release configuration and x64 platform without errors or warnings. (used WDK 8.1 Update 1)

Since I got an UEFI mainboard I also had to enable Intel VT-x to get the virtual machine to work (idk if this is really important but just listing some differences because on my older computer it worked just fine)

For the VM I have set up 4 GB of DDR4 memory and one core of the CPU can be used.

After that I booted into the Win7 VM and used KPP Destroyer P4 (Final, Patch 4) to patch the kernel patch protection (actually copying kernel and bootloader and then modifying them, providing a new bootloader to boot using the patched files)

Now I spawned an administrator command prompt and enabled testsigning. (double-checked with bcdedit if the current boot's testsigning setting is set to "on").

After a restart, I noticed the absence of the "test mode" text printed in the lower corner of your screen normally if testsigning is enabled. I thought it's just that KPP Destroyer patched it away.

Ofc. that made me open a command prompt and checking again if testsigning is enabled in the current bootloader's setting. And yes it was.

So I went on to the testing stage, and tried four installation methods:

with sc.exe - creating the service - no probem. When starting the service, sc.exe tells me that the handle of the driver is invalid.

ServiceManager.exe - invalid handle

loader.exe - invalid handle

OSRLoader - invalid handle

before someone asks me to do that:

- I have placed the driver into C:\Windows\system32\drivers

- I have full administrator privileges and every program I described here

- I have already tried other PatchGuard/KPP disablers. One of them doesn't even let me boot with the new bootloader o.O, others: same issue.

Thanks if someone can help me out here!

Edited by cyrex1337
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

you can disable the enforcement at boot prompt by hitting F8 and hit disable driver sign enforcement. I have this as default for my boot config that has the KPP disabled.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
sitikomariah

thanks mr. exodia. i will try and post results. because my driver also did not load properly

Edit: And then, where i get the PID values? main64.exe [1020] or TitanHide.sys at service tab? I didn't found in TitanHide process.

Thanks, finally i can load latest vmprotect.

vmprotect3.5.jpg

Edited by sitikomariah
progress
  • 2 years later...

I also had this problem... After downloading the latest TitanHide source code from GitHub and compiling Titanhide.sys (adding my own signature) : The driver wouldn't load. But I compile other drivers, such as my own, without this problem (also with my signature). 

Environment: VS2019 Enterprise + Win10 x64 + WDK 10 + SDK 10

• 3 weeks later...

The driver wouldn't load

Environment: VS2019 Enterprise + Win10 x64 + WDK 10 + SDK 10

8.JPG.2d4c93aea91230306bddb1932d82ea6f.JPG

Working well here on win10 x64

Edited by X0rby
Add a color

Quote from the author's GitHub :

I will permanently ban you from the issue tracker. If you don't know how to properly install the tool you don't know enough to use it responsibly and you should use something else like ScyllaHide

23 hours ago, jackyjask said:

Does not work

Finally, I recompiled sys and added a digital signature to solve this strange problem. Titanhide.sys can be loaded on Win11 x64.

Edited by boot
Add...
CodeExplorer

and added a digital signature to solve this strange problem

How you did this? What signature did you used?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...