Tuts 4 You

CPU "Features"

ixiodor

Hi guys,
I heared about DENUVO that uses a CPU bound code to make it harder to crack, some code that run only on your CPU. So i was looking for some nice trick and testings tring to emulate that.
I started using CPUD changing values in EAX, my curiosity was on:

MOV EAX, 0Bh
CPUID

This give me some values, including in EDX wich core is executing that CPUID. (core1 - core2 etc)

BUT
i found this "feature" , if you do:

MOV ECX, 100h
MOV EAX, 0Bh
CPUID

You reset all your registers and you get only a value in EDX, where is showed your current core...
Is that normal??
I have a i7-2600, can someone with different CPU try if have same results?

Wow, they did even better. Thanks for info Mr.eXoDia ;)  Although i dont know at all this protector, i think they chose the most intelligent tactic and cracking approach, i mean no unpack and secured result :)

uses a fair bit more than just cpuid information like hdd info (boot drive serial number, and videocard data enum) to name a few

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2016 at 8:48 AM, evlncrn8 said:

uses a fair bit more than just cpuid information like hdd info (boot drive serial number, and videocard data enum) to name a few

Anyone confirmed what info is actually used in denuvo(VMProtect) ?

• 2 months later...

well for the ea stuff, its the same thing in denuvo - hdd serial, video card enum, computer name etc, all built up into a hash.. for the steam stuff, steam user id etc along with he usual cpuid stuff securom used..