Tuts 4 You

Force compiler to count hash during compilation

Pancake

Hello. I got a function which returns hash from const char*, and obviously the same input gives same 32 byte hash. My problem is that after compilation program recounts the hash everytime, is it possible to tell compiler to count it during compilation time and just save the hash value? Im creating wrappers for common functions like getmodulehandle, getprocaddress etc with PE parsing, and the problem is that such piece of code for example myGetModuleHandle(hash("kernel32.dll")) generates assembly which counts the const char* hash everytime, and i would like the compiler to make it myGetModuleHandle(0xdeadbeef) where its the counted hash.

How can i achive that?

Yes ideally you can re write your "function which returns hash from const char*" as a macro, although you may be able to get the same effect by making it in inline.

Preprocessor macro - maybe, but it's hard to write. Inline function - definitely no, as it doesn't do what Pancake wants.

Easiest solution is to make a small tool that calculate those hashes in advance and use magic constants in the code:

#define KERNEL32 0xE0F38342
#define _hVirtualProtect 0x15f8ef80
#define _hVirtualAlloc 0x19BC06C0
#define _hVirtualFree 0xEA43A878
#define _hCreateThread 0x15B87EA2

HMODULE k32=GetModuleHandle(KERNEL32);
_tVirtualProtect _VirtualProtect=(_tVirtualProtect)GetGetProcAddress(k32,_hVirtualProtect);
_tCreateThread _CreateThread=(_tCreateThread)GetGetProcAddress(k32,_hCreateThread);

Sample code: http://spth.virii.lu/inception1/content/sources/pest/beetle/beetle/  check loader.h and loader.cpp

@Simple: While theoretically you are correct, there's a reason for using hardcoded constants - they work everywhere and don't cause problems like "require heavy optimisation flags (/O2 with Visual Studio)" or "limited to 10-character strings"

The preprocessor is where c programmers go to satisfy their perverse-complexity desires instead of program in c++/perl.

© Oxc0ffea

@Simple: While theoretically you are correct, there's a reason for using hardcoded constants - they work everywhere and don't cause problems like "require heavy optimisation flags (/O2 with Visual Studio)" or "limited to 10-character strings"

Read the rest of the article kao, what you copy/pasted is true only for the inline version, not the macro...  this "works everywhere" too, 512 byte limit, no /O2...

#define H1(s,i,x) (x*65599u+(uint8_t)s[(i)<strlen(s)?strlen(s)-1-(i):strlen(s)]) // inside loop#define H4(s,i,x) H1(s,i,H1(s,i+1,H1(s,i+2,H1(s,i+3,x))))#define H16(s,i,x) H4(s,i,H4(s,i+4,H4(s,i+8,H4(s,i+12,x))))#define H64(s,i,x) H16(s,i,H16(s,i+16,H16(s,i+32,H16(s,i+48,x))))#define H256(s,i,x) H64(s,i,H64(s,i+64,H64(s,i+128,H64(s,i+192,x))))#define H512(s,i,x) H256(s,i,H256(s,i+256,H256(s,i+512,H256(s, i+768,x))))      // added this line to double to 512 limit, to double to 1024 add another...#define HASH(s) ((uint32_t)(H512(s,0,0)))                                       // last line of normal C code return valueprintf("%08x\n", HASH("WinApiFunction");

OP should do what works best for OP, but If I personally have 1000 strings, IMHO, writing 7 lines of macro functions looks a lot nicer than writing 1000 lines of constants (it's also going to be much faster too)...