Tuts 4 You

Armadillo feature anti debug

Yazuki

hi you,

i read and saw a lot of tutorials about the protection armadillo because my target is protected by armadillo. a lot of information is here on the net, so i got confused about the debug-blocker of armadillo.

to understand whats going on with this feature, i wrote a little summary of the debug-blocker. all i need to know if what i wrote down, is this summary valid information?, so here it comes.

Debug Blocker:

The first process (the parent) is creating a second process (the child).

The child process attaches its parent to it. From here, another processes can't attach

the parent process, because the parent acts as a user-mode debugger, which can be

attach just 1 process.

I'd word it a bit differently, altough you are mostly correct: there is no active action performed by the child toward the parent since the child is under its (of the parent) control ever since it is created.
Another little correction: "From here, another processes can't attach the parent process" --> nope, you can't attach to the child process; the parent is still accessible.

Edited by SmilingWolf
  • Like 1

Yep.

Something alike.

The father-child process create a dummy process and the puppeteer controls the puppet in order to confuse the debugger.

Just bypass by Mutex trick.

Edited by GIV
  • Like 1

so with some corrections i got this now, this should be correct now right?

Debug Blocker:

The first process (the parent) is creating a second process (the child).

The child process doesn't perform active actions, just only attaching its parent to it.

From here, another processes can't attach the child process, because the parent process

acts like a user-mode debugger, which can be attach just 1 process at the same time.

So it becomes impossible to debug the child process.

thanks for the corrections and help,i just changed eax after the mutex and not child process is created.