Tuts 4 You

Programmin for a little over a year, yet lost

oarmsne

I have been fooling around with scripting for years and have that down pat. I started doing C++ and C# in 2010/2011, but really got into coding for about a year now. I write almost exclusively in C++ and LUA. To expand on this, just to help pinpoint what I might be missing, I have completed my education in C++ at university, first year. Got through what would be about an entire introduction level text book to C++ in a semester, next semester went onto boolean algebra and basic data structures. In that semester I also started to get really familiar, already had used them just getting a lot of work in with them, with pointers, classes, and structs. 

My question is this:

When ever I look at C++ source for actual apps I get completely lost. The way variables and classes are being named and utilized completely confuses me and I feel like there is a key I am missing, something with the syntax I am missing. When I look at source what I don't understand just seems like a syntax or methodology I haven't learned yet.

To expand on that the code I also look at is so simple. I have trouble understanding how some of the complex tasks that get done are coded simply. It seems like there is minuscule amounts of logic and math in the code I read. What am I missing? I want to be ahead of what I am doing in university, and know I am capable of it. I am just stuck with what I should learn next. Should I read peoples code to help improve where I am, maybe with some guidance as to what I am missing? What topics should I be reading about to further myself as a coder?

Thanks for reading.

Are you able to give an example of some code that you are unsure of? It would be a bit easier to see what you are getting confused about.

Probably you are missing the object oriented (OO) programming idea. C++ has object oriented features, but you dont have to use them. Typically you learn the non-OO programming in the first years of every university. Java is somehow a little bit better to learn OO, because this language enforces the use of OO and you dont have to deal with "minor" stuff like memory management.

I can recommend the book "Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software" for the "high level view".

Edited by Aguila

C++ can be just as "high level" as python, c#, etc. For example, string parsing in C and C++ are very different, and a C++ guy may not understand the C version.

I'd start by learning ASM, then moving onto C. Once you learn those anything in C++, and most/all other languages, should be easy.

I couldn't find any good C++ examples of the source I was talking about in a short search, I am going to keep sifting through stuff today and if I see a good example I will post it.

Thanks Aguila I understand OO and use classes and structs almost exclusively but I might be missing something on them, when I get my hands on that book I will be reading it.

As for ASM, I plan on learning Assembly. It is actually a requirement for me this year too so I have to =P. I also do have to learn C later this year too so that will help me a lot it seems. I plan on also throwing C# in the mix too.

I couldn't find any good C++ examples of the source I was talking about in a short search, I am going to keep sifting through stuff today and if I see a good example I will post it.

Thanks Aguila I understand OO and use classes and structs almost exclusively but I might be missing something on them, when I get my hands on that book I will be reading it.

As for ASM, I plan on learning Assembly. It is actually a requirement for me this year too so I have to =P. I also do have to learn C later this year too so that will help me a lot it seems. I plan on also throwing C# in the mix too.

If you know/understand C++ then moving into C# is fairly easy. The syntax and flow is fairly similar with some minor differences. However there are some deeper big differences once you start getting into more detailed things. It is a great language to learn for a career though. :)

• 2 weeks later...