Tuts 4 You

Hardware Reverse Engineering Learning Platform...

Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers

Hardware Reverse Engineering Learning Platform

The hardware reverse engineering platform is basically a shield for the new stm32 nucleo boards using the st-morpho connectors. It contains two arduino compatible microcontrollers and an eeprom. There are 8 data lines connected between the two microcontrollers and there is also i2c lines connecting the mcu's with an eeprom. The nucleo board handles loading the reverse engineering scenario on the shield (firmware on the avr's and data on the eeprom).This allows anyone to easily create firmware that depicts a possible RE situation. For example the two mcu's can communicate with each other using a certain protocol.Test pins are added on all the data lines for connection to RE tools. There are also jumpers for breaking connecting between the two mcu's or to connect your own tools for inserting data to 'crack' the scenario.Arduino was chosen for the target mcu's because anyone needs to be able to create new RE scenario's without having to spend too much time getting the hardware to work. It's all about the reverse engineering and not firmware development.The nucleo shield handles the setup of each RE scenario, basically on the pc side it will accept the firmware files and setup the avr mcu's with the new code for reverse engineering.So it's re-usable for different scenario's and slow enough to use cheap tools.

http://hackaday.io/project/1543-Hardware-Reverse-Engineering-Learning-Platform

Ted.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@simple: For me personally it would be a start, I never touched hardware reverse engineering before and this sounds like it could be interesting...

Greetings

Serious HW reversing is very expensive and most of the tools are only available in research centers, or universities. It may be an interesting topic but its way out of reach for me

xsrtsec, /dev/ttys0 guys hunt router exploits w/flyswatter2 jtag(maybe other jtag could be wrong) which yes expensive ~90 dollars + ship. u can use open source hw jtag w/openocd and build pcb and material cost will be probably less than 5-10 dollars + shipping. its very possible for average reverser and scene is quickly growing.

mr x, imho, contrary to what this project says, u need know electronic/embedded basics for hw reversing/coding and i dont think thats ever going to change for anybody. im still learning and i think good starting places are old 8088 books, atmel tuts, rasberry pi/bbb tuts (these are easier than mcu/pcb development, maybe better start), and electronic engineering/pcb design tuts. theres 3 or 4 decades of documents on many embedded topics too. dont expect learn any of this on arduino though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats exactly the point, its a Proffersor soldering / hardware test kit.

I wish that i got this before  i started solder to my game consoles chips with varius stuff .would have saved me alot off burned thumps and 2 kilo bricks.

Splentet idea from the the awsome hackaday team.

Edited by zadow