Tuts 4 You

How to get the sections of an exe in .NET?

LordCoder

Hello!

I want to get the sections of an executable (.text, .rdata, etc). With PEiD it's easy to dump them, but programming it's more difficult. Anybody knows how to do so in .NET?

Thanks so much! :)

@xsp!d3r Is there any documentation for this library?

@atom0s This gets the data only for .NET applications. I mean for all types of applications in any language.

This is code in C, but it could help...

IMAGE_DOS_HEADER *pdh;    IMAGE_NT_HEADERS *pnth;    IMAGE_SECTION_HEADER *psh;    pdh=(IMAGE_DOS_HEADER*)((DWORD)pFileInfo->lpFile); //start of file = DOS HEADER    if(pdh->e_magic!=IMAGE_DOS_SIGNATURE) //check if it's a good MZ signature        return false;    pnth=(IMAGE_NT_HEADERS*)((DWORD)pFileInfo->lpFile+pdh->e_lfanew); //NT HEADER is file + e_lfanew    if(IsBadReadPtr(pnth, 4)) //check if its a readable pointer        return false;    if(pnth->Signature!=IMAGE_NT_SIGNATURE) //check NT signature        return false;    if(pnth->FileHeader.Machine!=IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_I386) //check x32        return false;    psh=IMAGE_FIRST_SECTION(pnth); //little macro for section header
when you have IMAGE_SECTION_HEADER, you can dump the sections using the raw address (file+raw address) and the raw size.

Another trick I saw (in Armadillo) to get the section header is:

psh=(IMAGE_SECTION_HEADER*)pnth[1];

@xsp!d3r Is there any documentation for this library?

@atom0s This gets the data only for .NET applications. I mean for all types of applications in any language.

You can just remove the managed check:

// Is this managed?

bool bIsManaged = (imgNtHeaders.OptionalHeader.DataDirectory[HeaderHelper.IMAGE_DIRECTORY_ENTRY_COM_DESCRIPTOR].Size > 0);

if (!bIsManaged)

{

// invalid file..

throw new Exception("Invalid PE file... file is not managed.");

}

• Like 1