Tuts 4 You

Which Virtual Machine Software do you prefer?

deepzero

Virtual Machines  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Which VirtualMachine do you prefer?

• VirtualBox
    • VMware
    • VirtualPC

have been using Vbox for some time now, no complaints, although VPC worked fine, too.

I prett much agree with cozofdeath there :)

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

vmware is poorly-designed bloatware with poo for responsibility.. thinapp is awesome though

virtual pc has a crap footprint and very little stability.. worse in 8

virtualbox has a crap footprint on the guest and uses SAMBA and SMB for what little sharing it has, but usability, patching, support is unmatched

• 4 weeks later...

have been using Vbox for some time now, no complaints, although VPC worked fine, too.

I prett much agree with cozofdeath there smile.png

what CPU do you use ?

On my tests, HARD BP and MEmory BP doesn't work well.. Can you test it for me on your PC ?

I've related it here... 

I do prefer VMWARE because everything works fine.. but have to be the Workstation to take snapshots (I do malware analysis)...

[]'s

all bps work fine here.

it`s an older centrino intel.

I don't know what can be.. My CPU hardware extension is enabled on virtual machine configuration... 

I have to investigate what can be... any suggestion ?

tks! []'s

make sure virtualization not somehow disabled in the BIOS (it`s usually disabled by default) and update to the latest vbox version 424.

If that doesnt help, post in the virtualbox forum.

what hw are you using? latest vbox version?

I didn't checked in BIOS.. I'll do it soon as i come home...

Yes, i'm using the lastest version.. I'm using an Intel Core i5 3450... I've searched everywhere and only VMWARE solved my problem!

[]'s

My problem was that Virtualization option in the bios config....

How did you know that was this option ? Did you had the same problem that i've had ?

Now i'm curious about this option, I didn't knew about it... 

Thanks, DeepZero!

Really appreciate your help! Tks!

Hi,

so I also have still the problem with VBox that the HWBP / MEM BP does not work.So where is the setting option in VBox for "Virtualization option in the bios config"?Can't find any entry which I can change.

Hey Deep,kannst die Lösung mal einfach und fix für mich erläutern wo man das einstellen kann oder wo man diese Option finden kann,bitte?Ich sehe hier nur was von Anzeige und Netzwerk und den anderen Kram aber sonst nix. :) Danke schonmal gel.

greetz

what`s your hardware?

I have this feeling that your pre-stoneage cpu doesnt have any hw virtualization features, leave alone an option to turn them on or off. :P

So was gibts nur in neueren CPUs. ;)

edit:

your inbox is full, check c0rk.

Edited by deepzero

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
MaRKuS_TH-DJM

VMware Workstation has Drag&Drop Support, Virtualbox only Shared Folders, but Drag&Drop Support will be supported someday (it's in the making). VMware Workstation also supports more OS.

But: If you enable the Host I/O cache in VirtualBox, the CPU resources usage is higher - and on my system, because of higher I/O even 2x faster than VMware Workstation. You need strong CPU and much RAM to use the Host I/O Cache.

On Windows XP guest, you get the maximum if you enable Host I/O Cache, disable IO-APIC and set it to 1 processor in settings.

On the other side, VirtualBox sometimes has bugs with networking (especially NAT under heavy load). It gets updated frequently, so i'm sure they get all bugs fixed and it has a good community and support.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i prefer virtualbox, its free and regular small updates. configuration goes pretty fast aswell for a new VM.