Tuts 4 You

board update - 13.8.11

deepzero

Hi Ted,

Nice to see the board software is regularly updated, but

-> could we please have the old style (i dont even know its name...) back? smile.png

-> could we have a single button/link "mark all forums as read" at the bottom of the page?

took me about 3 minutes to spot that popup menu we have now, and even than "mark all as read" didnt work for me...

-> in my browser, (ff5.2, ie8) the forum never stops loading.

-> sometimes i get sql query errors. they disappear ´when i hit f5.

(of course, i was not clever enough to actually take a screenshot or something, that will follow asap...cool2.gif )

-> can we have the old icons/smilies back? disguise2.gif

edit: found them! you gotta click "display all".

thanks for all the effort you put in this forum smile.png

deep0 smile.png

Edited by deepzero

Hi Teddy,

I was shocked today!What the hell is that for a new board style?I feel like back in stone age. :) Sorry Ted but this new style really suck's.I want the old style back.So where is the choice where I can choose the old board style?

- New board style is looking very bad

- Is very slow

- Not all is to see for me like the messanger right above in the corner

- I am so sorry to say this but its really horrible

Please tell us where to choose the old board style,be quick! :)

greetz

I was shocked today!What the hell is that for a new board style?I feel like back in stone age. :) Sorry Ted but this new style really suck's.I want the old style back.

yeah, that`s pretty much what i was trying to get across ;)

Teddy Rogers

The board is currently slow because a muppet is using a few Iranian botnets and another one in Switzerland to flood the server with thousands of connections. It is not the forum upgrade which is the cause so I apologies for this.

Don't be scared of the new style, it takes a little getting used to. I even remember you saying to me the last time there was a big update to the board design from IPS that it sucked and now you want to keep it smile.png

I will have a look around for some darker skins.

As for the "Mark as Read" you should not need to use this anymore, just make sure in "View New Content" you are looking at, "Content I have not read"...

Ted.

post-620-0-74799200-1313253253_thumb.jpg

Sure I am scared! :)

Yes the board before the IPS board was also better than the IPS board but this new baord is not so good like the normal IPS board.There I had much more overview of all and now all is very large some kind of grandpa aka pensioner style.Also I miss the old features like the user box etc.Sorry again Ted but this time it was really a grip right into the toilet.

So is there a way how to get the IPS board back?Maybe you can add this too into the choice list for all users [no idea whether its possible]?Why all this new upgrades all half years or years?I know its your board and you can do whatever you want but I think its better to ask all users if this board before so you can show us your new board style where we can have a look and then you can create a tpoic where all can choose a opinion like multible choice style.

Very good

good

ok

hhmmmm so la

bad

total sick

forget it not with me!

Something like this you know.Then wait maybe a week and then we have a democratic result. :) So I dont like surprises like this today.

So I can understand if you dont like my statement but I think you have the right to hear my honest opinion what I think and you know now what I think.

PS: Sorry again but I'm in a bad mood.

greetz

CodeExplorer

Bad guys use this:

ISP: Iran Telecommunication Company PJS

Organization: Telecommunication Company of Khorasan Razavi

State/Region: Kordestan

City: Khorasan

So it seems that they have a dinamic IP - each time when they restart the modem they will have a different IP

due to internet provider.

Banning IPs (or a IP range) will mean get ride of bad guys but also means kicking out some good guys.

As for the new skin it will take me some while to get accustomed with it (like in the past).

Seems that my Notification Preferences got lost - I have to set them again.

Missing features:

- walking trough topics of a subforum using 1 2 3 ... buttons

- aproving comments on my profile: where is that feature? cry.gif

- Show last 5 visitors on my profile: only 5 ? cry.gif

Teddy Rogers
- walking trough topics of a subforum using 1 2 3 ... buttons

Click on the, "Page 1 to x" then enter the page number if you need to go to a specific page.

- aproving comments on my profile: where is that feature? cry.gif

It is still there? Under, "Profile Feeds"...

- Show last 5 visitors on my profile: only 5 ? cry.gif

It is still there under, "Overview". Look at the bottom right of the page under, "Latest Visitors".

Ted.

Teddy Rogers
Maybe you can add this too into the choice list for all users [no idea whether its possible]?Why all this new upgrades all half years or years?I know its your board and you can do whatever you want but I think its better to ask all users if this board before so you can show us your new board style where we can have a look and then you can create a tpoic where all can choose a opinion like multible choice style.

I already announced that I would be updating the board to 3.2.x waaay back in June...

/>http://forum.tuts4you.com/index.php?showtopic=26229

I took the liberty of warning and posting about the change but if no one takes the time to read these things and make a suggestion then I have no way of knowing.

Unfortunately the board is not backward compatible (unless I retrieve an old database) but if exploits and other security issues come about then IPS are not going to fix them for their old software.

If you can find a particular IP.Board 3.2.x skin or design you like, free or commercial, please let me know and I will take a look at importing and adding it to the board.

I am sorry you do not like the updates... :(

Ted.

CodeExplorer

Ted:

just the first one is there; rest are missing:

- approving comments so the comment will be showed only after I approve them

- before it was the ability to show more then 5 visitors: 10

And why they remove features: they suppose to add more features!

Teddy Rogers
- approving comments so the comment will be showed only after I approve them

Yes, I think you don't have the option to approve them anymore but I'll need to question IPS about that to confirm. However you still get notifications, just make sure you have Notifications Options (found in My Settings) configured correctly:

http://forum.tuts4yo...a=notifications

- before it was the ability to show more then 5 visitors: 10

Yes, looks like it is 5 visitors now. I can only assume they thought it unnecessary to have 10 or a way to reduce the number of queries to the server. Are you worried about stalkers? :lol:

Ted.

CodeExplorer

Ted, I am always worried about stalkers but showing visitors is not a great feature against them; smile.png

I've started to get used with the new board; not like I have to choose.

-> could we have a single button/link "mark all forums as read" at the bottom of the page?

This feature is still there; just at the top. It's next to the 'Start New Thread' button. It's 'Mark this forum as read'. Unless it was added to the bottom before manually, not sure though.

Personally I like the new theme. It's not too far different from the last one and it is still easy on the eyes and has a good color scheme.

@ Teddy

I ok so I think this infos about the new board update was for the most too hidden. :) So you know I have no idea about this page stuff,so can you show me a link where I can see some other skins which are support your IP.Board 3.2?

Info: So I see this new board has a problem to show me my info box right above in the corner.So I see 1 just the black messanger icon and a notifications icon.So if I get some new PMs then I see nothing that I got some new PMs.Must be a presentation fault maybe.I can make a picture if you need.Can you also tell me where I can find my attachments list?You know the list which shows me what I have upload.So I cant find it anymore.

* Overview

* Profile Feed

* Friends

* Topics

* Blog

* Gallery

* Files

Thank you

Edit: Here a pic what I can see from the top.

1ibv5k.png

Edit2: So now I see there are also no post functions anymore!!!!If I write a text like this then I see no fonts no colors no icons no links and quotes and no code and spoiler etc.All away now?What is this and where to find it again?Should I make a pic again?Remember I still use FF 2.0

Edited by LCF-AT

Teddy Rogers
I ok so I think this infos about the new board update was for the most too hidden.

Too hidden? I announced the board would be getting updated in June and have been asking since then for logo contributions to the skin. I don't know how more public I can get without sending out a bulk email on the matter smile.png

So you know I have no idea about this page stuff,so can you show me a link where I can see some other skins which are support your IP.Board 3.2?

You can try the IPS Marketplace but there are plenty of others...

http://community.inv...gory/110-skins/

So I see this new board has a problem to show me my info box right above in the corner.So I see 1 just the black messanger icon and a notifications icon.So if I get some new PMs then I see nothing that I got some new PMs.Must be a presentation fault maybe.I can make a picture if you need.

This sounds very much like a rendering issue with your browser, possibly outdated or a weird setting messing it up?

Can you also tell me where I can find my attachments list?You know the list which shows me what I have upload.So I cant find it anymore.

It is still there. Go to My Profile -> Files (the menu bar which appears on the left.)

So now I see there are also no post functions anymore!!!!If I write a text like this then I see no fonts no colors no icons no links and quotes and no code and spoiler etc.All away now?What is this and where to find it again?Should I make a pic again?Remember I still use FF 2.0

I'm not sure what this could be, possibly your editing mode is wrong. At the top left of the reply box there is a little icon called, "toggle editing mode", if you click on that it should re-activate the reply box icons again.

If you continue to have issues with it take a snapshot for me please...

Ted.

Hi Ted

Thanks For Update

but i have problem!

forum is very slow for me and sometimes after enter www.forum.tuts4you.com site redirect me to tuts4you.com/search.php :o

now for enter to tuts4you use Proxy !!

Teddy Rogers
now for enter to tuts4you use Proxy !!

Now that tells me you need to clear your cache and cookies...

Ted.

Teddy Rogers

If the site runs and works fine via a proxy then there isn't a problem with the board, it must be something at your end that is the cause?

Ted.

@ Teddy

Yes to send a special PM next time is a good idea. smile.png

Ok I have checked all skins from your link but all looking almost the same.I have no fav skin.

I have also test now a newer FF browser and with this I can see all on the right position also I get now the text write functions to see.All there in this version.But why does a new boardstyle no more support older FF versions?So I wanted to prevent to use a newer FF version which is higher than 2.0.So this newer versions are working very slow for me and the scrolling is totaly irritating and this sucks again.

Attached files: This member doesn't have any files yet.This is what I get if I press on files.But I found it on a other way.I can press on the notification button and then the option button.

Toggle editing mode is also a part of this text function box which is not showing [the whole box] in FF 2.0 thats the problem.

PS: CleanCut is my fav. smile.png SND Asta still using it.Maybe you can put this new board to Asta and Astas CleanCut comes back to T4Y. hug.gif

PS2: Maybe it sounds strange but is it not possible to use 2 board styles for one forum?Some kind of page to page linking.2 Pages mabye which are work together but with diffrent styles.You know some kind of 2 television viewer.You use this television viewer and some other using the older television viewer but we both can see the same.Anyway its just a idea,no idea whether its possible etc.

greetz

FireFox 2? It's 5(!) years old...

They added a new Javscript engine and everything with 3.5, a newer version should actually run faster.

Yes I am using normlay FF 2.0 So this version works faster for me and my low system.I get more trouble if I use newer version like 3+ and higher.Scrolling hangs always behind.Also this new board style seems to use more resources and the scrolling hangs more.So its better for me to use the 2.0 version because performance advantage.I dont like slowness.

greetz

Teddy Rogers
Yes I am using normlay FF 2.0 So this version works faster for me and my low system.I get more trouble if I use newer version like 3+ and higher.Scrolling hangs always behind.Also this new board style seems to use more resources and the scrolling hangs more.So its better for me to use the 2.0 version because performance advantage.I dont like slowness.

I am not going to roll back the board to a previous version mainly because IPS are not going to continue supporting it if known exploits and bugs come to light and I am not going to waste the IP.Board licence because one person chooses to live in 2006 :)

I am with Killboy, you should be using a modern browser just for the additional security if anything. If you are worried about scroll speed I suggest Opera because it is by far the most efficient at scrolling. I would imagine part of the reason why FF2 may seem to scroll faster for you is because it doesn't support modern browser features and does not need to process them. You could look at disabling some modern features if you try an up-to-date browser.

The other option you could explore is to try using the mobile theme. At the bottom left of the screen click on the, "change theme" icon. In this way you have none of the fancy features of the full board skin.

The old skins are not forward compatible, if you want the old skin style it will mean (paying) someone to develop it from scratch. Also I am sure all IP.Board's across the interweb (or the majority of them) including the Requester Board will be updated to this IP.Board or newer version at some point. I think you just have to bite the bullet and consider moving forward, you really should not be using a very outdated browser anyway...

Ted.

@ deepzero

tools->options->advanced->general->use smooth browsing <-- Yes I tried this too but there I get the same trouble.Its does not react for ca till 1 second and this is very bad so I need tempo and with FF2 I have this temp and thats the problem.Also with newer version it works slower and there are too much slow stops so I cant work on this way.

@ Ted

Lets go back to 2006 now smile.png Yes yes I understand it.Yes of course I would like to use newer FF versions but they work to slow for me.Hhmm so also in newer versions there are not much more to disable.I use the almost the same settings like in FF2.All in all a newer FF version is a bad choice for me.So at the momnet I use both FF versions 2.0 & 3.5 or 6 somthing just to use this page in full mode now.

Ok ok all in all the message is that I have the bum card now. smile.png Good,I will try to test the new version a bit more to get this version working so fast like FF2 and maybe I have a bit luck or maybe someone of you know some add ons which can make the FF3.x performance faster?If yes then tell me please.Thank you.

edit: Ok now I see that the scrolling problem is a big major issue!I found many posts about this problems but no major solution just some hints like to use the zoom strg + and now it scrolls faster :) but now I cant see the whole page anymore :( also I tried to add this command into the UserContent.css

/* Improve scroll performance on slow machines on some sites. */

* {

background-attachment: scroll !important;

}

*/

but I see also no effect.Great!

greetz

Edited by LCF-AT