Tuts 4 You

Improving The Main Page...

Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers

I think it is time the main page on Tuts 4 You had a bit of a birthday as it has been long overdue an overhaul. While I already have ideas of my own in ways I think it needs to be improved I would like to hear from board members on their likes, dislikes and general ideas on ways it needs to be improved. I am currently looking at creating a new custom skin so please shoot across all your ideas and I will keep them in mind. Thank you... :thumbs:

Ted.

Teddy Rogers

Dark or light theme for the main page... full width or fixed width? Should I do a poll, what does everyone want? :)

Ted.

Hi Ted,

- I would prefer a light theme.The text is better readable.

- So you should add a better search engine.Normaly you have to enter 4 letters min. so if you enter for exsample my name LCF-AT then you will find nothing so it does not accept normal letters with some other signs like - <-- this for exsample. :) Maybe you can change this too or add a option where the user can enter a name / word with quotation marks or something you know.Also the 60 sec. waiting time after a search is not so good.Maybe you can reduce it to max 20 sec.

- Donwload limt time!Hhmmmm,..:)...so if you want to keep a limit then you can add a file DL limit of maybe 3 files and then show a time limit first.So you know I dont like to wait on any area.

- So I like the "Latest Downloads" list where the user can see all new stuff.So it happend that I did not visit the main page for a longer and then I see the Latest Downloads list and have noticed that I was too late to see all Latest Downloads.Maybe you can add some kind of Latest Downloads complete list in a new page where the user can check his last visit by himself [lets say 1. Jan. 2011 <-- just user know it | and now the user visit the main page again on 1. March] and can then compare the new Latest Downloads list with his last visit and can check all new stuff.So you know what I mean.Some kind of archiv list of all Latest Downloads in a new page.This would be nice.Just a idea.

greetz

If you ask me current theme is pretty good.

I'd suggest eliminate "Community Projects" section, for them a sub section in "Programming and Coding" sounds better.

Teddy Rogers

Thank you for your suggestions everyone, I will take in all what you have said and keep them in mind during development.

Just to clarify so there is no confusion I am updating the main page (tuts4you.com) and not the board or forums (forum.tuts4you.com).

N1ghtm4r3, I can understand why you suggest moving Community Projects to the Programming and Coding area however it is targeted for a completely different situation. Since yourself and some other members recently raised questions it is obviously a little unclear to members what it is there for. I need to put out some information to make this clear...

Ted.

Personal opinions of mind:

- Fluid size; fixed gets very annoying when a lot of content is presented.

- Offer both light and dark skins; this should be easy to do with css files and a dropdown option.

- More modern look; currently the front site looks like its from 95. Just has that old feel/look to it. Perhaps go for a more web2.0/3.0 look.

Another idea would be make use of AJAX as much as possible, giving a more fluid and sleek feel to the front page. Plus it should help with page loads and data usage. Things like the download lists should be able to be optimized more for faster loading and less stress on the server.

I don't know how bad the load and usage is for the site so this is just an idea overall in case it is an issue.

Perhaps having some more updates posted on the front site as well rather then the downloads being the center content by default.

No AJAX Web 5.0 scrollidy Javascript Flash crap please...

Keep it oldschool :zorro:

I agree with not focusing on releases that much.

Maybe add a small stats page and present releases/members less ... 'plainly' (neat table, advanced search by time frame, release type, etc.)

No AJAX Web 5.0 scrollidy Javascript Flash crap please...

Keep it oldschool :zorro:

I agree with not focusing on releases that much.

Maybe add a small stats page and present releases/members less ... 'plainly' (neat table, advanced search by time frame, release type, etc.)

Not trying to go off-topic or start any type of fight..

Any reason you dislike AJAX? I can agree to the no Flash/Java stuff but JavaScript has proven itself in the past years for web development and AJAX has become pretty standard to use on all sites.

By scrollidy I assume you are meaning having things auto-scroll and so on, but thats mainly up to the site developer to choose how the content is shown, regardless of using AJAX. I agree with that point too, having things auto-scroll is a bit annoying, unless it has a specific purpose for doing so, i.e. chat boxes and such.

I don't hate all things Javascript, I just don't think it's appropiate in that context.

Can't think of anything (maybe apart from the guestbook which I believe to be obsolete anyway) where it would make much sense without becoming an end in itself.

If you have anything specific in mind, please prove me wrong though. I'm not much of a visionary when it comes to pretty much anything. Maybe it's about time to let go of gameboy screen style websites - even on this end of the interwebz.