Tuts 4 You

Prevent EWX_FORCE

M2R

How do I prevent EWX_FORCE shutdown?

when I tried to code "prevent shutdown" apps by detect the WM_QueryEndSession and WM_EndSession, I realized that I couldn't prevent the EWX_FORCE message

This may seem a little overkill for your needs but I'll go ahead either way...

I suggest you implement a Kernel driver that hooks NtShutdownSystem()(See http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/UserMo...ownSystem.html) and returns an access denied error.

You could create a Userland application that uses events and such to decide whether or not to allow the system to be shutdown or not ;) .

If you need a hand implementing this let me know and I'll crack open my trusty IDE one more time and see what I can do :) .

Just keep in the mind that the user could still hard reset the box if he feels it necessary.

Hope this helps.

KOrUPt.

Edit: Corrected URL tags, well spotted Ghandi.

Edited by KOrUPt

Woops,

404: File not found.

I can't open your suggested URL

So, you think that I have to create Ring 3 app which 'trap' the shutdown related events, right?

do you have some source code which implement your idea for preventing the EWX_FORCE?

at least, thx for your response for this thread :lol:

Woops,

404: File not found.

I can't open your suggested URL

So, you think that I have to create Ring 3 app which 'trap' the shutdown related events, right?

do you have some source code which implement your idea for preventing the EWX_FORCE?

at least, thx for your response for this thread :lol:

URL tags repaired. Thanks Ghandi :) .

M2R, you're incorrect. I think you should create a Ring 0(Kernel land) driver and implement an SSDT hook for NtShutdownSystem() that returns an STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED response.

I don't have any source code handy at the moment(well, only ancient things that make my eyes bleed, and as such I'd rather not disclose).

I suggest you check out the Rootkits [e]book by Greg Hoglund and James Butler, it's an interesting read should you want to take the leap into kernel land, just be careful.

The task at hand really isn't too hard to implement on a basic scale ;) . Research is key!

Hope this helps.

KOrUPt.

Edited by KOrUPt