Tuts 4 You

Reading tons of memory?

high6

I need to dump a processes structure and its references.

An example is I have an array like

struct SomeStruct

{

char * PtrToSomething;

int a_num;

};

now luckily it is very simple and they are all aligned in 1 block but sadly the PtrToSomething is a pointer to a completely different location in memory.

I was wondering how I should handling dumping the structure (Using ReadProcessMemory).

because there are 1000-10000 of these sometimes.

I was thinking of reading all the structures and then pairing the ptrs together and reading blocks that way I read more than 1 PtrToSomething at a time. Then read the bytes from the blocks etc etc.

Thoughts?

I was thinking of reading all the structures and then pairing the ptrs together and reading blocks that way

This kind of processing would be similar to that used in a progress bar dialog when

reading a huge block of data. I don't see any problems with it. You can obviously dump each block read

with the append option in CreateFile:

hFile = CreateFileA(savebuffer,	 // file to create
FILE_APPEND_DATA, // open for writing
FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE, // share
NULL, // default security
OPEN_ALWAYS, // overwrite existing
FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, // normal file
NULL);

cheers

GamingMasteR

Hi

If there's much of these structures then reading 1 by 1 will be a slow process ... you can grab the readable/writable pages from that process then search inside it .

Use VirtualQueryEx to get every page size/attributes from 0x10000->0x7FFFFFFF and depending on the page type you can determine if search inside it or no .

Hi

If there's much of these structures then reading 1 by 1 will be a slow process ... you can grab the readable/writable pages from that process then search inside it .

Use VirtualQueryEx to get every page size/attributes from 0x10000->0x7FFFFFFF and depending on the page type you can determine if search inside it or no .

That's what I was thinking XD.

Can you give a C++ example on VirtualQueryEx though? Never used it before.

GamingMasteR

I hope this helps :

int main()
{
HANDLE hProcess = GetCurrentProcess();
DWORD Address = 0x10000;
MEMORY_BASIC_INFORMATION mbi;
VirtualQueryEx(hProcess, (PVOID)Address, &mbi, sizeof(mbi));
do
{
if (mbi.State != MEM_FREE)
{
DWORD page_attr = PAGE_READWRITE | PAGE_WRITECOPY | PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE | PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY;
if (mbi.Protect & page_attr)
{
// do something here ...
printf("ADDRESS -> 0x%p \n\r", mbi.BaseAddress);
};
};
Address += mbi.RegionSize;
}while(VirtualQueryEx(hProcess, (PVOID)Address, &mbi, sizeof(mbi))); system("PAUSE");
return 0;
};
I hope this helps :
int main()
{
HANDLE hProcess = GetCurrentProcess();
DWORD Address = 0x10000;
MEMORY_BASIC_INFORMATION mbi;
VirtualQueryEx(hProcess, (PVOID)Address, &mbi, sizeof(mbi));
do
{
if (mbi.State != MEM_FREE)
{
DWORD page_attr = PAGE_READWRITE | PAGE_WRITECOPY | PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE | PAGE_EXECUTE_WRITECOPY;
if (mbi.Protect & page_attr)
{
// do something here ...
printf("ADDRESS -> 0x%p \n\r", mbi.BaseAddress);
};
};
Address += mbi.RegionSize;
}while(VirtualQueryEx(hProcess, (PVOID)Address, &mbi, sizeof(mbi))); system("PAUSE");
return 0;
};

Thanks, also how much memory read with readmemoryprocess would be too much? And should I use malloc/new/virtualalloc to make space for the read memory?

GamingMasteR
how much memory read with readmemoryprocess would be too much?

It's ok since you are reading valid memory pages ... use mbi.RegionSize for actual size.

And should I use malloc/new/virtualalloc to make space for the read memory?

When you walk through memory pages you should allocate buffer to copy each block to it ... use VirtualAlloc for large buffers.

DO NOT save the whole victim process memory in your own process memory if you are dealing with "TONS OF MEMORY" ... use external file for this .

Allocate buffer -> copy memory to buffer -> append buffer to file -> free buffer -> allocate buffer -> copy memory ...

This can be optimized too by allocating a large buffer 1st time and use it alway except when readed memory size is bigger ... this will save time of allocating and freeing buffers every time .

Edited by Sadistic-X

Thanks for all the help.

Also what I was planning on doing is this.

loop through all the pages checking if any address is in that page if so then read the page into my program with virtualalloc/readprocessmemory. Then copy all the values I need from it and virtualfree the memory and continue.