Tuts 4 You

Kingston Usb Drive's Password Sniffing

TheCodeCracker

TheCodeCracker

Hi Guys,

Today one of my friend came to me for help...Actually he had locked his 'Kingston Datatraveller 2GB' with a password and forgotten it and it was a crucial stage as his project files were on it...so i decided to help him by breaking the protection.Actually i was also nervous because i have not tried my hand on any such securities related to hardware but atlast i was able to penetrate the security system and sniff the password from there :D

Anyways i am giving a tutorial on how i did that and here it is :

http://xirror.com/spread/53276909/Kingston.rar.html

P.S Do post comments bro as this was my first Hardware Security Reversing.

I'm curious about the password, is it used to encrypt the files on disk or just to "grant" access to drive?

e.g. if you had patched the jump after TEST xxx,xxx to jump to good boy message, would the drive and files be fully accessible even with the wrong password?

BR; ChupaChu!

TheCodeCracker
I'm curious about the password, is it used to encrypt the files on disk or just to "grant" access to drive?

e.g. if you had patched the jump after TEST xxx,xxx to jump to good boy message, would the drive and files be fully accessible even with the wrong password?

BR; ChupaChu!

Yes Chupachu Actually patching also works but here my aim was to retrieve password...and yes i analyzed that process and found a api 'DeviceIOControl' something like that so actually this software locks the flashdisk and you can't access it via dbl clicking its icon rather you need to give original password and the 'Datatraveller101R' process then grants you the access to the flash disk ..this type of security module is found in most of the 'Kingston' Flash Drive...the point here is such a branded manufacturer's security is so lame how can we trust in their password protected flash disks...

Anyways Thanks for Viewing my tutorial

greetz

TCC/CiB

Thanks for the download and mirror!

I've learning now something...

I doesn't understand why Kingston makes his usb-sticks protection so low?

Edited by Dennis

• 1 year later...