Tuts 4 You

How Not To Get Hacked

Guest kartook

1. Stop using Internet Explorer and make the switch to Opera, it's more secure, plain and simple.

2. Get Spybot Search and Destroy or Spyware Doctor and immediately update it.

3. Get Adaware SE and immediately update it.

(Use both as a 1-2 punch on infected client computers and between the two there's not much they won't kill)

4. Update your anti virus

5. Boot into safe mode and run all three scans

6. While the scans are going check your registry (Click start --> Run and type regedit to get intot he registry) and look in HKEY_CurrentUser/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run & HKEY_Local_Machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run. Verify that all programs listed are legitimate and wanted.

7. If or when your antivirus scan comes across anything, search for that file name in your registry and delete it.

8. Use explorer to go to the windows/system32 folder and sort by date. If you haven't already done so, make sure you can see the entire file names. click Tools --> Folder Options and unclick the box labeled "Hide extensions for known file types" and under Hidden files and folders click "Show hidden files and folders." However, make sure you choose "Hide protected operating system files" so you don't accidentally remove anything that would cripple your computer.. You are looking for recent files with names ending with .exe and .dll that look suspicious. Major culprits will have gibberish names such as alkjdlkjfa.exe.

9. Once you can get clean scans in safe mode, reboot in normal mode and scan all over again. If you can't get a clean scan in regular mode then you have something more persistant that could take more research.

10. Make sure your firewall doesn't have strange exceptions.

11. If you suspect anything that is going wrong with your computer is the action of a stalker, on a more secure system change all your passwords.

12. If your system has been specifically targeted and hacked you can never be 100% sure that your system is no longer compromised so start with 11, make backups of personal files on the infected system and format and re-install Windows.

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

lulz...

hacking...

I think the best way to protect yourself from being hacked is to actually read up on hacking.

Not all hackers are malicious and not all of them backdoor programs.

If your computer doesn't have something valuable on it, then you will be just a random target 'attacked' by a random skiddie.

If you do have something valuable, then you will probably get attacked by a real hacker.

Skiddies are a major threat. And the actual problem is their stupidity and kiddieness.

Well, I didn't really help anybody by posting this, but what can I say... I had an inspiration :P

what a nonsense. you dont need all this to be safe.

antivirus programs are for retards and mostly false alarms,and news from devs so they will earn more.

only thing you need is brain,skills and knowledge. without it nothing can help you.

i just love to read here and any other boards when retards come and complain that some app was identified as virus.

yeah many av ****s complain about imprec as troyan.hacktool. well for sure this place isnt for them.

dont wanna be hacked use system,software that only few people use, because its useless for hackers to look for holes in it, to exploit it.

use firewall or best way disconnect you net for ever. cia,fbi servers with most valuable data arent connected to network.

what a nonsense. you dont need all this to be safe.

antivirus programs are for retards and mostly false alarms,and news from devs so they will earn more.

only thing you need is brain,skills and knowledge. without it nothing can help you.

i just love to read here and any other boards when retards come and complain that some app was identified as virus.

yeah many av ****s complain about imprec as troyan.hacktool. well for sure this place isnt for them.

dont wanna be hacked use system,software that only few people use, because its useless for hackers to look for holes in it, to exploit it.

use firewall or best way disconnect you net for ever. cia,fbi servers with most valuable data arent connected to network.

Yeh, firewalls are important.

If properly configured, they will protect your ***.

And very true. You need some knowledge and brain to decide is something malicious or not.

Antiviruses usually go mad when they see some self-modifying / scary code. (Packed programs are often suspicious.)

Bah...

ROFLMAO to be safe get things from reputable places, use a decent firewall and be smart.. :) if you have a wi-fi network .. set a password on your router / change the name of your router(if possible use hardware overide to change your mac address for this too ;) ) .. turn off broadcasting of your SSID.. use mac address filtering and configure enough IP's only for the computers you have.. ;)

well most retards when get modem or router doesnt set or change default login and pass. later they cry. and wifi and wep its a joke, too easy to crack. better get a new one with aes256 instead of wep

i agree with human WPA2 is the way to go and a router with a built in firewall is much better ;) although my AES has 1024Bits instead :P hmm.. wasn't easy lol

Edited by syk071c

I think not using an AV can definately backfire...

Sure, as long as you avoid love and crack sites there isn't too much to worry about...

Considering that many AVs only manage to find about 95% of all virii, it's a pretty tough job for a human being though ;)

And I honestly doubt you're debugging every single app on your PC the first time you start it, at least not for long...

Sure, AVs and firewalls can give a false feeling of security, but you can as well underestimate the whole thing...

BTW:

WiFi and simple WEP here, no need for harder stuff because there aren't many people using WiFi in the neighbourhood (I've only seen one so far, not protected at all)...

Most people around here are too stupid to know how to crack WEP anyway, nothing I have to be concerned about (personally, always depends on where you live I guess)

Edited by Killboy

• 2 weeks later...

killboy thats where you fall in to the trap. if you think this many others must also think this and there is/are people that spend a day or two going around in a car/van with a laptop or whatever to wardrive. that means purposely cracking WEP's to scan the network for information and other data. if i find there website there was a gang not so long ago arrested in the uk for wardriving. hacking a lot of pc's stealing bankinh info. (paypals the like).

Its all fine we got here, AV, FW, SpyBot and other protections, but in the end you decide

what you will run, and what you wont.. if you suspect of any "hidden" treath

active in memory or sleepin in devices, use tools as icesword to identify them,

Also registry's run sections are not all the places from where files can run when

windows startups, i think deroko wrote about it in latest eZine, there is one

new wey not documented imho..

So one just has to use his brain, not doing so can backfire,

as my mate Killboy nicely said ;)

BR, ChupaChu!

Yeah, have to agree. I'm running a decent firewall and AV (ZoneAlarm and Nod32). They do not slow down the system that much and have good detection rates. Anyway, such a combination won't help everyone out there, mostly you have to decide if you'd like to run an app your AV has scanned and claims to be not infected.

Sandboxes seem to be a good thing, using a VM for testing stuff is overkill imho. Anyway, finally it's you decided to run a seems-to-be-clear file and it also depends on your general computer knowledge/experience (which is not too big for average users...) how to handle unknown files.

Just my two cents. :D

just maybe to make people think a bit more.. i seem to think AV's and some firewalls usually leave certain ports open on your system like for email scanning which have been known to be exploited by many trojans and malware, adware... Optix Pro etc...

it's just as easy to use something like trendmicr0's housecall to scan for virii without installing anything.. AV's seem to cause a lot of issues sometimes when trying to install things..

Edited by syk071c

perhaps scan files that you consider to be suspicious with

_http://www.virustotal.com

or

_http://virusscan.jotti.org

Edited by ush

Yes multiple AV engines act different on various files,

my experience is with these online serivces that it

does not work when i need it, usually they are

overloaded :(

But a good idea anyway ;)

BR, ChupaChu!

rmember one more thing

Patrick Kolla some time ago suggested use of SpywareBlaster along with spybot (this app thas another inocculations against malware)

_http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html