Tuts 4 You

Need Help With Asm Conversion

Guest Speeder

Guest Speeder

Hi everybody, I have a C++ program with inline ASM code that I need to convert to C, bcuz 64bit systems do not support the inline ASM. It wouldn't matter if the code's unreadable, unmaintainable, just for it to compile.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Well, firstly I cannot put the code on really, I'm asking if there's any way to translate it automatically.

i do not think there is a way, making a high level code from asm, otherwise we would not have to disassemble our programms, but could translate it into easy c or delphi or vb ^^

Guest Speeder

Which is exactly how I think, but it's worth a question.

What I could imagine would be a C code that is just the same as the assembly tinkering with the registers, which wouldn't be any better than the ASM code itself, then no crackers would use it BUT a 64Bit app could be built with it... (Microsoft wants to prevent inline ASM, cuz they now wish to protect every app made anywhere or I read something like that. Point is that I have a code that I don't understand, but I still need to have the prog converted to 64bit :S)

Guest Speeder

Okay, I got some info here from my boss. This here is copyrighted code, so I cannot post it in public. If someone would be willing to help me out and take a look at the code, please drop me a line and I can e-mail it or something like that, so it would remain private. (It's part of a JPEG file's decoding)

probably idct, that mostly is in asm, there are many idct sources in asm for 32 & 64bit, or mostly for mmx sse or even sse2. there is no need to change it for 64bit cpus.

i have my own jpg decoder, fully coded in asm 45kb,14kb obj,8kb compressed with upx. can decode 8192x8192 baseline and progresive huffman coded jpg.

300% faster than intel jpg lib 1.5. i will rls it soon on sourceforge.

you can check speed and see how it decodes full.jpg into .tga

tell me if yours is faster:P

jpgtest.rar

Edited by human
Guest Speeder

Yah, well... As I said the JPEG decompressor is a 3rd party thingy, not mine. Furthermore, I can't include any other person's code, simply bcuz my boss is an idiot :D Anyway, I don't know much of this (and my colleges neighter), so we just kindof believe the compiler when it says that _asm is invalid in a 64bit app :P But if anybody has a solution for ASM noobies, then I'd be MOST pleasant about it.