Tuts 4 You

OllyDbg2-Python 1.0.0

Teddy Rogers

2 Screenshots

About This File

Nowadays in the reverse-engineering world, almost everything is scriptable using Python: IDA Pro, WinDbg, ImmunitDebugger, etc. The thing is OllyDbg2 wasn't. The only way to interact with OllyDbg2's API was by creating a C/C++ plugin. But we all know everything is easier in Python, that's the reason why I started this project back in 2012 summer.

Under the hoods

To be able to export OllyDbg2's API to Python (currently Py275), we need two important things:

1. python-loader: this is an OllyDbg2 plugin that imports the Python engine ; with that plugin you can launch some Python into your debugger
  2. python-bindings-swig: this project builds the connectors you need to poke OllyDbg2's API with Python

The python-loader tries also to enhance user experience by adding a command-line edit bar in order to write easily Python one-liner without loading a script. At the moment, that bar isn't working very well (I'm not a GUI expert at all.), but I will give it a try to build better one.

The python-bindings-swig project is a bit more touchy, it is using SWIG in order to generate the bindings automatically and it seems to work pretty great so far. But SWIG can be sometimes a bit weird to play with, so if I made some mistakes don't hesitate to pull-requests corrections!

Features

• I've tried to expose the main features we would like to have when it comes to script a debugger:
  • CPU state inspection: get/set x86 registers, get information about segment selectors
  • memory: read, write in the debuggee memory ; also obtain information about specific memory regions
  • assembler/disassembler: interact with the internal x86 assembler/disassembler
  • breakpoints: easily set/remove software/hardware normal/conditionnal breakpoints wherever you want
  • symbols: try to use Microsoft/OllyDbg2 API to obtain symbols information (like a function name by its address)
  • enhance the disassembly: you can add comments and/or labels easily
  • looking for something in memory: there are also a couple of methods to look for some hexadecimal bytes or instructions in memory, really handy
  • instrument the debugger: ask the debugger to StepInto/StepOver/ExecuteUntilRet in the debuggee
  • etc.

If you want to see real examples, check out the samples/ directory! If you have idea of cool examples to show case the API feel free to contact me.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.