Tuts 4 You

Some site problems or not?

LCF-AT

Hi Ted,

I'am not sure whether I told you about that problem in the past (dont remember) or not so I wanna tell you now or again.The site seems to have some update or refresh issues when using some site functions.

1.) When I wanna use code tags then it happens sometimes that the code tag window loads endless without to stop and I just can close it and cant use code tags in this case.See my picture.

CTags.png.22fd05318d868ad5003c24a43e3427ce.png

You see this circle in the middle runs endless and I can't press on the insert button.

2.) Using smiles / emojis.Same  problem as above.Sometimes it works using just shortcuts / keyboard manaully :)  <--- so you see, I am not getting this smiley :)  <--- and this one I did added via smiley menu / button above to choose any smiley.Question is why it works sometimes and sometimes not?

3.) Same problem with URLs I do wanna post.Sometimes they got printed in plain text and sometimes as hyper links I can click on them.

http://www.wassolldas.com  <--- This I wrote manually = not working to show as hyper link now / sometimes yes

http://www.wassolldas.com

...the link above which is hyper I created via link menu / button = same like with the smiley.

Just would like to know what the reason is why it sometimes work and sometimes not like any random.The problem (if its a problem) happens already a long time.Maybe you could explain this why it works like this and not for 100% always same.Is it a bug or not?

Thank you

• Like 1

Could be from blocking JavaScript stuff from loading or it failing to load if you are behind a vpn or similar.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

I'am not sure whether I told you about that problem in the past (dont remember) or not so I wanna tell you now or again.The site seems to have some update or refresh issues when using some site functions.

The IPS code itself is buggy. This problem is not unique to tuts4you forum. It is prevalent in many other sites which use this IPS forum software. The newer versions of IPS are much more buggy in this regard and there is a lot of noticeable lag. This is seen much more clearly on certain browsers like Firefox. It also depends on the number of plugins installed into the Invision software, server side. This is what I noticed in my experience.

If the internet connection speed is a little slow for the client side, then it becomes a lot more pronounced.

• Like 1

Teddy Rogers

When these problems have arisen in the past it has most often always been attributed to either the browser, "advanced" browser settings, caching, plugins, an overzealous script. I would start looking at some of these first.

Happy to raise bug reports with IPS if there is something to report and you can provide me with additional information; browser, plugins, adblocker and scripts, etc.

When IPS introduced CK Editor it was a mess. It has been stable and consistent over the past few years...

Ted.

• Like 1

Hi again,

so my browser Firefox I do use to visit T4Y is always same.Also settings for my used AddOns are same and nothing changed.Not sure whether its an browser / AddOn settings problem or not (dont think so) and would also say its an site code issue.Sometimes works sometimes not.At the moment it works again.

I am always using  latest FF version, NoScript AddOn with trusted state for T4Y, uBO.Some other AddOns too which dosent used for security stuff like FlagFox etc.Maybe  next time when I get this problem again I will start FF again.

greetz

Teddy Rogers

Disable all addons/ extensions from running in private mode and try using the editor again whilst in private mode.

Alternatively run a fresh FF in a virtual machine or portable edition and test the editor.

Both NoScript and uBO have caused issues in the past with CK Editor, even randomly blocking the editor from opening.

You should also note that when using addons like NoScript and being overzealous with privacy and security can be the reasons why your IP gets flagged and reported for abuse when accessing some sites. It may also explain the issue you keep experiencing with Cloudflare. As an alternative you could always use your browser in privacy mode, block third party cookies, etc.

Ted.

• Like 1

Hhhmm, my IP get flagged just because of using uBO & Co?Sounds total bad.Just wanna prevent sites loading trash etc.Good ok, I will check this out what you said and test it without addons again in private mode.As I said at the moment or lets say today its working all fine.I also checked this editor version 4 and its working too.I will test it again and send feedback about it.

greetz

Refreshing the page helps in most cases.

Example of such  a bug  in IPS: Try to start a post tagging someone by their nick (eg. something like @someone'sName) The backspace key does not work for many of us to delete off the tagged nick until we refresh the page.

Obviously an issue with the JS running on the page or something. This is not unique to just the tuts4you site but for any site using the same version of the editor.

• Like 1

Hi again,

yes it seems that I just need to refresh the site to get it work. :) Good thing is that the written text keeps alive in editor after the refresh.Ok thanks again for this quick info how to manage this issue.

greetz

• Like 1

Hi again,

ok I see this manually update / reload of the site sucks somehow.I mostly have to do this for each site where I wanna post something and not only once to get it work for all. 😕 Look at this pic I made now.....whole bar is missing....

2020-04-17_195706.png.a71137c806de446635fed8f501a419fc.png

greetz

Teddy Rogers

I have come across this same issue before (that and the editor not loading). This is due to adblocking, NoScript or something of a similar nature. I can't help if you choose to use plugins, run scripts or mask your fingerprint that ultimately break browser features...

Ted.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:59 PM, LCF-AT said:

ok I see this manually update / reload of the site sucks somehow.I mostly have to do this for each site where I wanna post something and not only once to get it work for all. 😕 Look at this pic I made now.....whole bar is missing....

Better way that many of us do would be to type out your post in either MS Notepad or MS-Word and then paste it into the editor. That way, you are unlikely to lose whatever you typed, particularly if it contains links to pictures that would appear inline in your posts.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:08 AM, Teddy Rogers said:

This is due to adblocking, NoScript or something of a similar nature.

I can assure you that there are no such plugins on my browser and yet I run into this issue. It does not bother me too much though and it goes away after a quick refresh of the page. The problem is with the editor software itself and not unique to tuts4you.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:08 AM, Teddy Rogers said:

or mask your fingerprint that ultimately break browser features...

Since you mentioned it yourself... I must say that the fingerprinting features are rather aggresive in this forum. Not sure if they are custom or not. I did not mention them so far as I did not want to unnecessarily highlight the security features you maybe using to safeguard this wonderful forum

☺️

Edited by CodeExplorer
testing

I would like to add a quick note that I tried to delete the last line from my post above but try as I might, with several refreshes, it would not allow me to edit it or delete it. I tried to edit it after posting and even then it stubbornly refuses to allow me to do so.

It can be reproduced in this manner: End you line with an emoticon and then click enter. After that you will not be able to remove that line nor edit it....The entire line before the emoticon including the emoticon cannot be edited or deleted...

This is a bug I hope can be corrected if possible. Please consider this as a bug report 🙂

Before reporting browser bugs, please give exactly the name and version of the browser you use.  I can confirm that Microsoft Edge works fine and does not suffer from this.