Tuts 4 You

Improving Board Rules...

Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers

I am hoping I can get some feedback from board members on how forum rules across the board can be improved in anyway, should you think they need amending or made any clearer?

Rules and notices that I am looking to change are the some of the rule tags at the top of a forum and the board rules in general. If you think something needs to be added, omitted, amended or made clearer then please let me know. You may think it a bit odd me asking this but since this is a community everyone should have some input on how it gets managed, after-all it is your community to. So please give me your input, thanks...

Ted.

1) The complete rules are tl;dr. Nobody will ever read all 18 points, they'll stop after reading 3 or 4 of them. How about making some abbreviated version?

2) The most annoying types of members are the ones who have just registered and immediately start posting crack requests. Suggestion: change forum so that freshly registered members cannot add binary attachments to their posts and post URLs (but allow them to post screenshots/images, if they need help with some settings). Make these restrictions very clear, preferrably in the top of "Start New Topic" page.

3) Necroposters - digging up 3 years old topic is not a good style but unfortunately we see such behaviour once in a while. How about automatically locking old threads or adding a warning before posting to such thread?

Teddy Rogers
1) The complete rules are tl;dr. Nobody will ever read all 18 points, they'll stop after reading 3 or 4 of them. How about making some abbreviated version?

I will admit it is possible to go information overload so I'll be looking at trimming it a bit and was an initial goal I had set myself after I get some feedback.

2) The most annoying types of members are the ones who have just registered and immediately start posting crack requests. Suggestion: change forum so that freshly registered members cannot add binary attachments to their posts and post URLs (but allow them to post screenshots/images, if they need help with some settings). Make these restrictions very clear, preferrably in the top of "Start New Topic" page.

There are already restrictions in place to try and prevent new members abusing the board and stop the crack requesting. Unfortunately no system will be perfect. It seems the new flavour of getting around current restrictions is to post questions like, "I don't know what this is packed with, please help!", "please help me to unpack this file" or "your script doesn't work on this file", etc, etc.

I am hoping I can make some of the rules as dot pointers to the top of forums. The main rules page can be used to expand further on those pointers. I made a brief sample in the scripting forum of what I mean:

Attachments : Binaries containing any type of commercial content must not be uploaded to this forum. Files will be deleted and you may be warned or banned.

Bug Reports : Script bugs must be a problem directly related to the script and not a general (unpacking) issue.

3) Necroposters - digging up 3 years old topic is not a good style but unfortunately we see such behaviour once in a while. How about automatically locking old threads or adding a warning before posting to such thread?

I don't think this can be helped and some topics need to be revived every once in a while for genuine reasons. As you say it is not something that happens often so it is not really an issue that needs to be concerned over at present...

Ted.

Something to say 'Please DO NOT post just Thanks messages, if you want to show your appreciation VOTE the post up'

Btw Ted, Off-topic I know, but did you change something cos the "Add Reply" and "Start New Topic" buttons are now rendered wrongly in Chrome (latest 10.0.648.151 Viewed @ 1024x768)

Teddy Rogers

Something to say 'Please DO NOT post just Thanks messages, if you want to show your appreciation VOTE the post up'

Btw Ted, Off-topic I know, but did you change something cos the "Add Reply" and "Start New Topic" buttons are now rendered wrongly in Chrome (latest 10.0.648.151 Viewed @ 1024x768)

I will take that suggestion in to consideration, thank you for the input.

I am currently using Chrome and have never had the problem you are experiencing. It must be an issue related to your machine?

Ted.

I am currently using Chrome and have never had the problem you are experiencing. It must be an issue related to your machine?

It only happened a few days ago, it's possible it is a local issue, but I'll attach a small screenshot so you can see what I see.

7431742_bigthumb.JPG

Teddy Rogers

The only board change to note would have been a JavaScript patch which IPS released to fix issues with IE9. How or why it would effect your buttons in Chrome and not myself I don't know especially since I am using Chrome on a number of systems with different OS's and configurations :dunno:

/>http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/334519-ipboard-314-compatibility-patch-for-internet-explorer-9/

I have no time left this evening but I'll see if I can find out something more on what could be causing it. Do you have any of Chromes GPU accelerated or other experimental page rendering functions enabled?

Ted.

Hmm, well Chrome has also had a couple of updates recently, the bug could be theirs.

I've figured out how to replicate it on my system, press ctrl and minus to reduce the font size and you can see the glitch, press ctrl and plus and it looks normal.

Teddy Rogers

Ah! Now I see it. Not sure if this is related solely to Chrome, will try it in other browsers when I get home. It could possibly be a skin bug...

Ted.

Teddy Rogers
I've figured out how to replicate it on my system, press ctrl and minus to reduce the font size and you can see the glitch, press ctrl and plus and it looks normal.

It looks to be a rendering bug in Chrome. Maybe opt for a bigger resolution and normal font size for the time being?

Ted.

Unfortunately my lame monitor is already at it's max resolution (1024x768) but I can live with tiny rendering bug :)

Teddy Rogers

I edited the main rules topic...

/>http://forum.tuts4you.com/index.php?showtopic=5171

...instead of reducing the information it would seem I did the opposite and added to it but reduced the number of items... :turned:

Ted.