Tuts 4 You

Windows Vista Beta 2...

Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers
Do you have at home a computer which has inside it state-of-the-art components? Do you have a humongous amount of memory, at least 1GB? And, on top of it, do you have an Internet connection which allows you to download about 3.5-4.4 GB?

If all of the above conditions are satisfied, you can go ahead and download the first public test version of Windows Vista.

After months of limited testing, Microsoft yesterday announced the public availability of the Beta 2.

The Redmond company warns that this is still a beta and that it should only be used by developers and enthusiasts who are not bothered by one, two, or more bugs.

The public version of Beta 2 is available in three languages, English, German and Japanese, and can be downloaded for 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

Once registered in the Customer Preview Program, you will also have access to the Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1), the next major pre-release of Windows Vista, when it is available later this year.

If you don’t have enough patience or enough bandwidth for the 3.3GB (the size of the 32-bit edition) or the 4.4GB (for the 64-bit edition), then you can order a DVD with the Beta 2, for which you have to pay a small fee.

Windows Vista Beta 2:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

Ted.

Teddy Rogers

Just want to follow up with this link:

http://download.windowsvista.com/dl/preview/beta2/en/x86/iso/vista_5384.4.060518-1455_winmain_beta2_x86fre_client-LB2CFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Ted.

wow that site is still getting hammered...........transfer rates of 20KB/s.........1 day plus to dl........ouch

The site must have got a shot of adreline, I'm sustaining 600KB/s now, should have it within an hour. Time to build a new system to try this pig on.

Should be interesting.

Thanks for the linkage <again>

• 2 months later...
Teddy Rogers
Microsoft has officially announced the reopening of Vista testing to its customers with Release Candidate 1. Through Windows Vista program manager, Nick White, the Redmond Company announced on the Windows Vista Team Blog that it has reconsidered its earlier plans to allow access to RC1 only to the testers actively involved with Vista Beta 2, and that it will make the Release Candidate 1 generally available.

“Will Microsoft open testing sign-ups again when RC1 is released? Yes. Will the Customer Preview Program be available for those who missed out on Beta 2 to sign up and get RC1? Yes. If I participated in Beta 2 by downloading a PID and the build, will I be able to participate in RC1 automatically? Yes.,” wrote White.

With the RC1, Microsoft will debut Windows Vista's next program phase to new and old users alike, according to Nick White's statements at just six weeks following the release of Visa Beta 2. The Redmond Company has not disclosed any official details related to RC1 other than its general availability rather than opening the testing pool only to the participants in its Customer Release Program that have already obtained, installed and successfully activated the Beta 2 version of the operating system. In the absence of a specific release, Microsoft announced the availability of Release Candidate 1 by the end of September 2006.

Ted.

Guest friedclams

I was at Microsoft Vista preview mtg for registered partners last week and this beta version crashed twice during demos...

Microsoft also made it a point that they havent issued final h/w spec for Vista logo'ed equipment.. so even current humongeous cpu, ram, HDD might not be enuf 4 Vista...lol

I saw beta 1 at a trade conf, I was sitting there praying for it to crash!

Ive got beta from technet, its been sitting on my desk for a month ish now, just not got around to installing it....

Still, Like XP im not gonna even consider installing this until it reaches SP1 ;)

I saw beta 1 at a trade conf, I was sitting there praying for it to crash!

Ive got beta from technet, its been sitting on my desk for a month ish now, just not got around to installing it....

Still, Like XP im not gonna even consider installing this until it reaches SP1 ;)

waiting for it to crash..lol

but yeah..i wont even consider installing it until its been all tested ,etc,etc

same thing back when everybody was using win98...alot of pc guys stuck with that until the end...

anyword on how there gonna protect it/activate it,etc??

cheers all

:zorro:

Edited by Blah

windows? ewww, be wise use linux :) windows blinds does same gui for vista so u dont have all the bugs of vista but get the feel and look of it ;)

it looks like xp serial code then activation

but unlike xp you can activate only once be4 you have to call them

and they will be asking questions why you need to re-activate again

this is from a friend of mine who works 4 microsoft in reading in the uk

so i have no reason to dout him

mph

I've played with the betas and they are complete crap so far. I will wait for the RTM before I try it again, and probably SP1 before I put it on my pc.

..but unlike xp you can activate only once be4 you have to call them

and they will be asking questions why you need to re-activate again..

Im guessing this is in final version then because you get 10 activations out of each serial on the betas.

Im guessing this is in final version then because you get 10 activations out of each serial on the betas.

yep i was.... i never bothered to ask him about these crappy bets versions

because ive read some reports on the betas and its not sounding good

install problems, bugs, activation problems, software not installing the list goes on

so i will be waiting 4 vista sp1 final or sp1 waiting 4 sp2 or then it could be sp3, sp4

with microsoft you can never rule these service packs out

mph