Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
Guest myluvnttl

Windows Genuine Advantage 1.0 Hacked After 2 Days

Guest k3rizz3k

This activation system is crap. I logged on to windows update to update my win xp pro (legit) and it told me invalid number, and to contact my supplier. Well ok, so I call staples, and they tell me to contact microsoft.. Pure runaround here...

Teddy Rogers

Enter AmigaOS, Linux and Linspire. I really hope Microsoft get too money hungry with the game, music and movie industry and shoot themselves in the foot. It would be really nice to see another OS in the mainstream giving this monopolised corporation a run for their money... :D

Ted.

zer0buRn

Too bad Linspire wouldn't be that company that would sky rocket, I would love to see this OS shoot MS in the face.

djesteban
Wow. I think they're standing great in China. How many registered copies is that?

about 12.... hihi :)

Teddy Rogers

It had to happen sooner or later, seems you can get all of M$ Windows hotfixs in "Service Pack 3 Preview" without having to go through the support centre.

We've got a 100+ hotfix pack of many of the Windows XP SP3 fixes up for download. These are fixes that you would have to call Microsoft and get through their support center. These probably won't be up for download for more than a few days, so grab them while their hot!

Home Page & Download

http://www.thehotfix.net/

panas
It would be really nice to see another OS in the mainstream giving this monopolised corporation a run for their money... :D

Ted.

It would be nice to see, but I don't believe in the near future.

MS OS seems unbeatable presently. I am using Windows XP Pro 64-bit edition for a month now and I am really amazed. Ordinary PC operations such as copy, paste etc are executed in exactly the double speed, all other 32-bit apps are running smoothly and the 64-bit apps are sooo fast. Whoever has AMD 64-bit motherboard, the time is now. Go 64 and never look back. Very highly recommended.

Teddy Rogers
The Redmond company, which has a lot of respect for its users, doesn’t want to see them struggling to find out whether the software on their systems is genuine or not.

For this reason, Microsoft announced yesterday the OGA (Office Genuine Advantage) initiative, through which users will be able to determine if their Office version is genuine. The program will initially be piloted in seven languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Czech, Greek, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Spanish.

Aside from the OGA, the software behemoth also announced the expansion of the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) pilot program that provides notifications to consumers using non-genuine Microsoft Windows XP.

The Windows Genuine Advantage program was launched in July 2005 and the first phase of the notifications included Norway and Sweden; in 2006, it was followed by five additional countries and it will now be introduced to customers in the U.S., United Kingdom, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand.

“The best way to protect consumers is, first, to educate them about the issue, then to equip them to spot counterfeit software, and finally, to help them understand what they should do about it,” said Cori Hartje, director of the Genuine Software Initiative.

According to Microsoft, once the "Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications" tool is installed, users running a counterfeit copy will be notified at startup, login and during the session.

The message that will help users see the ‘genuine’ light will say this: "This copy of Windows is not genuine; you may be a victim of software counterfeiting."

Ted.

antrobs
users running a counterfeit copy will be notified at startup, login and during the session.

Ohh! I already encountered this on my friends XP, I try to remove some WGA file on the system, but i can't remove the other file that i think is the one causing the notice during startup... :kick:

aNtRoBs

Teddy Rogers
In the case of the Windows Genuine Advantage initiative, which checks if the Windows XP version is genuine or not, the users got used to it, the Redmond company might not be so lucky with OGA (Office Genuine Advantage).

This latest program targets the Office suite and will help users determine if their version is counterfeited.

“The best way to protect consumers is, first, to educate them about the issue, then to equip them to spot counterfeit software, and finally, to help them understand what they should do about it,” said Cori Hartje, director of the Genuine Software Initiative.

Still, users of the Windows XP operating systems might not put up with the alert invasion, especially since in Microsoft Office’s case there is a very powerful and “very free” competitor, Open Office.org 2.0.

A recent poll carried out by iTWire has revealed that if they had to choose between trying Open Office.org and buying MS Office 2003, most of the users would go with the first choice.

Of the 441 users who voted in 18 hours since the poll was posted, 381 (86.4%) chose the first option, while only 60 (13.6%) went for the second.

One could say that Microsoft’s decision to introduce Office Genuine Advantage before releasing the new Microsoft Office 2007, available in January together with Windows Vista, was not quite a wise one. This could significantly boost the Open Office.org 2.0’s market share.

Ted.