Tuts 4 You

Windows 11 System requirements & update?

Hi guys,

I have a short question about Win 11.Since a while I get a infobox in my Windows setting window to see which tells me that my PC isn't ready for Win 11. :(

W_2021-11-10_190144.png.33d6a578bf5df87ed5ab7599368dd508.png

Now I tried to check out why and found some infos to enable TPM in BIOS (only problem I found when using Win 11 checker tool  = TPM not found or activated etc).So I found a info about my mainboard that it does support Win 11...

https://www.asus.com/de/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-H310M-E-R2-0/

...and it seems I just have to enable it in BIOS (not checked yet).So I just wanna ask now why I have to enable it now on Win 11?So on Win 10 it wasn't needed.Another question I have is how long Windows 10 getting updates / support and when I wanna update to Windows 11 do I have to buy it / new key or something?Did anyone already update to Windows 11?Is good / bad or so lala?

PS: Windows 10 support on October 14th, 2025 / Found that date.

greetz

According to ASUS's site, your board does not include a TPM module, but has the header for one. 
You'd have to buy it separately.

Windows 11 is trying to push a more 'secure' platform model, by using/requiring TPM 2.x or newer. You can read their article on enabling it and why here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-tpm-2-0-on-your-pc-1fd5a332-360d-4f46-a1e7-ae6b0c90645c

You can still install Win11 manually via the ISO to bypass the requirements though. You just have no guarantee of updates later on.

• Like 2

A lot of boards support the bios based firmware TPM, but may also include headers for physical modules you can purchase

https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready/

Looks like a bios update should provide that firmware TPM:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-H310M-E-R2-0/HelpDesk_bios/

I know on my Asus motherboard (AMD X570 Crosshair VIII Hero) that I just had to enable the TPM module in the bios.

hope that helps

• Like 2

Hi guys,

thanks so far.I really have no clue about that TPM thing etc but today I was going into my BIOS and found some TPM settings.In my case it was enabled and set on "diskrete TPM" and I also could change it to "Firmware TPM" but I also see any warning message that datas get lost or delete or something etc.So what does it mean which data?My HDD datas?Or is it something to make a firmware update/flash as you say fearless?Uhhmm!Never did flash any BIOS yet.

Ok, seems I still have few years left til Win 10 getting out of use. :)

PS: What about the key of Win 10?Do I need a new one for Win 11 later?Just asking to know it for later you know.

greetz

Data loss will happen if you've used things that rely on the TPM to encrypt/secure any devices. For example, if you've used any of the drive encryption stuff on Windows, and switch the TPM mode or module, then you will run the risk of losing your data as the hardware key(s) required to decrypt the drive will be lost/changed. 

Key wise for Win10 > 11, 11 is a free upgrade if you have a valid Windows 10 license already. Using a Win10 key should work to activate Win11.

• Like 1

Hi again,

as I said I have no clue about that TPM stuff.Never used any encryption for drive / HDD etc.Also have not seen any option for that or never checked it out.So how can I check this if Ihave used it or not etc?Makes me more confusing now as before. :) So what does it mean when using encryption TPM?Does it encrypt my HDD drives or what?I don't need that or plan to encrypt or something on my PC so why does Win 11 want me to force to use it?Does it mean when using Win 11 it does encrypt stuff (only system files or all datas?) and decrypt on boot?Sounds already strange for me and I also don't check why it must be a MUST HAVE feature when using Win 11.My PC is almost 2 years old now and I have to do some flash BIOS stuff just to be ready for Win 11! :kick:On the MSDN they said buy a new PC. :) Great hint.Sure why not.All have to buy a new PC with that TPM trash support (nobody needs - probably) just to get it touch with Win 11.

Ah ok about the key question.Then I just need that TPM thing manged anyhow in few years.

greetz

9 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

.So how can I check this if Ihave used it or not etc?

You've likely not used it then if you haven't used any of the features offered by Windows that would make use of it. (ie. Drive encryption, extended password protection using more enterprise focused setups, any third-party high-end tooling that would make use of it etc.) Most things will be very up front about making use of it because of the impact of losing it/turning it off will result in losses.

So what does it mean when using encryption TPM?

It has a lot of uses, not just for Windows itself. It is a hardware level means of authentication that can store data related to encryption related things. Aside from Windows using it for drive encryption, your BIOS can use it for system passwording on boot. Network devices can use it to generate more secure means of transmissions of data. Anti-cheat companies make use it to create a more unique / identifier of your system for enforcing bans. And so on. It has many uses.

Windows is pushing it, in my opinion, to satisfy behind-closed-door deals with third-parties as well as to create a more secure platform for when they eventually bring full-on Xbox gaming onto PCs in the near future. They more than likely want a better means of protecting their games/assets before that goes live, and a means to do that is enforcing hardware level stuff like a TPM module. It also can be due to the fact that other brands like Apple have similar tech on their devices with their Apple T2 security chip. And another reasoning is due to better enforcement of secure boot.

Does it mean when using Win 11 it does encrypt stuff (only system files or all datas?) and decrypt on boot?

No, you still would have to manually turn on drive encryption if you want it. One of the main reasons behind the TPM/Secure Boot requirements is also to help restrict what runs during system startup to prevent malicious things from running on startup. It enforces only allowing things that are signed with valid certs to run during boot. (Trust me, I'm not saying this is actually secure, this is just the purpose of that combo for secure boot. With how many vulnerable drivers are released per month, this is basically a joke of an enforcement/idea behind its purpose imo.)

If you turn drive encryption on though, then yes, this would be true. Stuff will be decrypted on boot when its validated a login was successful.

My PC is almost 2 years old now and I have to do some flash BIOS stuff just to be ready for Win 11!

Windows 10 will be supported til 2025, so there is no rush to update to Win11. And honestly, I wouldn't until absolutely needed. Windows 11 is a reskin of 10 with marketing deals with Intel. You aren't gaining anything amazing/special for moving to 11 that is worth the investment. Also the requirements MS is trying to push with it are already being relaxed more and more as less people adopt it. MS is basically creating a bunch of eWaste trying to force people to have TPM 2.0 and their tag line of "Its never been a better time to buy a new PC" is just failing to "read the room" with how shit the economy is currently and how backed up supplies are for PC parts. 

The less people care/adopt Win11, the more MS will lessen their nonsense to try to get better adoption numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2