Tuts 4 You

How to use Reader AddOns on system?

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

at the moment I'am looking for any good Reader extensions (FF/Chrome) I could use to show text in a good reading style.I found some good ones +/- I can use but most of them aren't working with "Highlight This" extension to highlight words.Now I wanna talk about the problem I have when trying using a Reader Extension outside of a Internet webpage so they just don't work.Why?I just did download any webpage in html format etc and then I just load this webpage in browser = local path and now the Reader Extensions do nothing or I get a error message like "Reader View is not available on system page".Why?This really sucks.So what can I do to make those Reader Extensions working on local stored / downloaded html pages?Otherwise are there any apps I can use to load html webpages or text files into and showing them in Reader Style similar like the Firefox Reader View etc?I just do wonder why none of those extension does work with local loaded webpages.Maybe anyone can help with that problem.Thank you.

greetz

Hi again,

maybe I show you the whole problem with some example images to understand better what I mean and want.Below image one what shows this topic (just a example).You can see in URL bar the Url and right next the RV icon of Firefox what means I can enable / use the Reader View.

X1_2020-12-18_193721.png.78a58596ab709843b011e860bb724351.png

I did just save the HTML page with Firefox on local file and loading it on another tab.Below you can see it into URL bar.In this case I don't get the Reader View Icon to see.

X2_2020-12-18_193721.png.76cdf273dc4fc21885598d80c23a0adf.png

On this image I enabled the Reader View on URL to get a nice view to read text.All working here to change settings / fonts / sizes etc of RV.Now I tried to save this HTML webpage right on this enabled Reader View look.....

X3_2020-12-18_193721.png.f1da6138f81bd388f99f9c6ee9d4449c.png

...and now I did loaded that HTML on new tab and I get this to see.

X4_2020-12-18_193721.png.da2ea31aa388295c51c7f8445b1feee0.png

The view changed but looks pretty bad and I can't even use any RV functions or anything.All in all it look just stupid.So my goal is it to get the Reader View also working for outside loaded local HTML / txt files etc working BUT HOW is the question.Not only talking about the internal Firefox Reader View also talking about ANY Reader View Extension you can download for Chrome / Firefox.So can anyone tell me why the RV dosen't work for local saved / loaded webpages and how to make it work (if doable etc)?Just wanna get the RV working for all and don't wanna be limited by calling pages from internet itself you know.Would be nice if anyone could help with that.Thanks.

greetz

Hi again,

somewhere I found a info that the FireFox Reader View does check for the http:// & https:// protocol.Why the hell!?Is there any logical reason for that?Is there no way to force that view for local paths?That really makes me again so angry.All in all "none" of those Reader Viewer Extensions for Chrome / FF do work with local paths (html loaded from saved file) and I think its a total bad issue.So didn't they just think about that making the Reader View extensions work also in Offline mode or what was the problem?Really, I don't get it.

Now I thought I could find ANY outside Reader Viewing tools like those extension but I just don't find any tool.Can anyone help with that to find such tools or for what I have to looking for on search engine?I just find nothing only extensions for browsers.So any helpfully infos would be welcome.

Example again: Lets say I open a txt file and write some large text into or paste text into and save it.Now I wanna load the txt file into any tool XY (like browser) and let show that text in nice Reader View style and changing the style on fly too like its working with real http Url pages.You know what I mean right.So how make that doable?

I just can repeat it again, for me its totally illogical that the extensions don't work with local files (also not if I allow access in setting).So whats the problem in that case?Seems I'am anyhow to stupid to check that (maybe anyone can exlain it to me).Otherwise if I'am right then its pretty "super-bullshit" (sorry, don't wanted to say that but I'am pissed again) to not allow the whole thing for local loaded files.

greetz

I think this might be a browser limitation / security feature to stop javascript running locally to stop accessing local files on your computer

Have you thought of using an extension that formats and saves the page into pdf or epub for offline reading later?

• Like 1

Hi,

thanks for an answer so far NOP.Ok but why isn't it to enable manually (own risk etc)?That limitation is really bad and otherwise I can't find any extern or StandAlone tools who working like those Reader Viewer AddOns to get my text or htmls to view / read like in that style I want when using RV in browser.I like to read stories and some of them are really long and using many webpages I have to call.Now it would be good to copy the whole text of all pages into one txt file and save it to have the whole story in one txt file and now I wanna load it into browser (xy tool etc) and  enable the Reader View mode and start reading.Thats all.

Question.Is there a way or method to make one of those RV extensions working as single app alone?Maybe any free source code anyone could use to make a tool?

At the end I would like to have a combination of Reader View app + Highlight This Extension together as extern tool or having both working in browser with local files.

PS: Not thought about pdfs yet.Text file woule be better so I can edit them also quickly etc.Maybe you have some more hints for me what I could do.

greetz

Hi NOP,

coolio!That AddOn seems really to work with files hehe. :) Super so far for that.Its almost pretty same as the normal Reader Viewer of Firefox itself and looks also same like the Reader View I found for Chrome...

https://add0n.com/chrome-reader-view.html

...which is from other person/s.The Reader View you did postet I can not find in the Chrome store. :(

So now I have one working RV AddOn for Firefox which works with my html / txt files pretty good but my Highlight This Extension does not highlight words from my list.The only thing I can see is that the found words from my list of Highlight This getting / shown as kurive style and without background color.Thats bad again.So I need both working in best case and also for Firefox and Chrome in very best case.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/highlightthis/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/highlight-this-finds-and/fgmbnmjmbjenlhbefngfibmjkpbcljaj

greetz

Hi again,

today I did installed some Reader View Extensions on Firefox and they seems all to work with local path files.Strange thing is that the same extensions are not working for local files when I install them on Chrome / Brave browser!

Today I see a change when using the extension...

https://add0n.com/chrome-reader-view.html

....and this one is NOW working with Brave / Chrome with local files (not yesterday and before)!? :) So now are both versions of that extension working (FF / Chrome) also with local files (very good) but its not working correctly with "Highlight This" extension together (just showing highlighted words italic). :( So when the author of the extension would fix that issue then it would be very good.

greetz