Tuts 4 You

USB HDD shows raw filesystem!

LCF-AT

123 test 123

I cant post anything here and get failed reply!Why?

Edit: I cant post my post and get failed Reply.Is there any chars in my post what does trigger this error?

@Teddy Rogers

Could you please check your server why my post gets failed or rejected?Maybe you can see something in your log etc.Thanks.

Edited by LCF-AT
Get failedReply=1 redirection (see edit history)
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LCF-AT

• Progman

• ramzi2015

• Kurapica

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take my advice... A hard drive is definitely not something to try to save your money upon. You can see how much time you wasted trying to recover the last one? Just not worth it, in my opinion. A

Hi, thanks for the info.I found this info about some drives.... ....about failures and Seagate are badest and HGST is best. Anyway, I think I will try first another other extern d

Was there bitlocker activated on it? If you activated bitlocker on newer windows and then try to open it on older windows the partition shows as raw.

Posted Images

LCF-AT

Hi,

so you mean its no hardware problem = HDD is alright?But if its really a software why is it just happens on that USB drive only?I dont get this problem with my other drives.

So you mean Autoruns64.exe right?See some diffrent files in latest version.Then checking Logon right?Hhmm.I see some apps like 3 I did installed longer while ago who are marked with "not verified" like Sandboxie (SbieCtrl.exe).Also Open-Shell is "not verified" and one another app.Those 3 app are listet in StartUp / Logon.In the Drivers Tab I can find 2 drivers which are marked as "Not verified"...

....some text missing.....

Strange is that year of the timestamp of that Bth...file.Why its shown 1904?Also I found similar year of 1914 in Logon Tab first entry...

....some text missing.....

...why those strange years?When I check the file properties then I get other dates of 2020 to see.What do you think?

PS: I did format the USB drive again BUT this time I used CMD / Admin window and Diskpart command to clean / format quick etc.After that I had to assign a letter to drive using Windows drive manager again so it didnt work with Diskpart itself.Now I have a question.So I think using Diskpart and format command did format the USB drive this time with GPT style instead MBR.Somehow it did it by itself.Now USB has GPT but before it has MBR (if I remember right).Before I always used Windows right/mouse/format or using drive manager to format the drive and I think in those methods it used MBR by itself.Not sure whether it makes any more sense using GPT style for this USB drive.

PS2: I wanted to post this post yesteday but didnt worked and T4Y was down.Just thought Ted does any server update or something.Today its working again to call T4Y in browser and I wanted to post this post but didnt worked again.I called IsDownForMeOrEveryone and it said its just me!I tried to ping T4Y and got 100% lost.Also tracert failed and got many timeout.I am using proxy IP now which works so far to call T4Y and post this post now.I dont know whether my IP address is banned to access T4Y or whether any hops are the reason.Do you know maybe?Tracert does 30 calls and I got 13 timeouts listet.What do you think?Just hops issues or IP address problem?Just wonder what this is and wanna know why you know.Just strange that this right happens when I wanted to post this post right here.Yesterday and today (few hours ago) and now I hope it will work with my proxy IP.....

greetz

LCF-AT

Hi again,

now I post a image of the missing text fields I did set in pre post.Something in this text on image make T4Y server to failed reply.No idea why..... :( Hope anyone can find what it was etc.

ScanHDD6.png.189b8ab52b1c4d6841c903c67e6bf037.png

greetz

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

the error message was FailedReply=1.I tried to post / submit Reply by pressing the button and then the browser did scroll on top and in browser bar I have seen that added Failed Reply=1 info.Somehow I was redirected etc so you should know that better Ted etc.Thats why I did ask whether you can check this on your server log.All in all tried to post my post few times at Monday = failed = after few tries T4Y was down for me for the rest of the day.Then at next day (yesterday / Tuesday) I tried to post same post again and got same problem "FailedReply" and then T4Y was down again but this time I checked T4Y with "down for me or everyone" site and its saiys its just me.After that I was using proxy IP and tried to post again and got failed too and then I tried to remove some parts in my text (see image above) and then posting was possible.Must be anything in the text itself like some chars or char combination or something.I did copy few lines of the sys entrys from autoruns and wanted to paste them into code tags and also tried without code tags but failed too.Just something in the text on my image does make your forum calling failedreply.Maybe the paths or dates or whatever etc.Maybe you can find that out anyhow Ted.Otherwise I think @Kurapica is right.Any text pattern seems not to be allowed which did match randomly the rule with my text etc.Maybe similar to compare when you wanna post some text xy and the forum makes a emoji.

Ok, back to my USB drive problem.I just can say something more now.Yesterday I did copy again some video files on USB drive and all shown the lenght and all files was good so far.Now I did started CMD window and called chkdsk H: /f command to check the USB drive and after short while it finished and shows all is fine but right after this the Windows Explorer did close (why does it close by itself after chkdsk?) and I did open it again to check the files and ONE file shows missing time lenght of the video.I did checked this by trying to play but failed = damage video.

Why did chkdsk damage this file?

Alright, one file damage and the other was till showing the lenght / time.Today I started the PC (runs normaly without starting chkdsk etc) and I look into explorer of my USB drive and see NOW that 4 video files showing no lenght / time anymore. :( All 4 videos damage.How can that be?Anyway whether I am using Chkdsk /F (does damage file/s) and also just to shutdown / PC Start Boot seems to damage files on that USB drive.What is that?Just as info, I have the USB drive the whole time connected.Maybe I am just asking it one last time......is there anything I can do by myself to find out the possible reason or would you just say that it really is a HardDrive hardware failure (whatever it is) etc?Just need to know your opinion to be more sure about it and to say that the problem is not comming from my side / system etc you know.If not my system is the problem (I would think so because all other HDDs I have connected are working and I dont see any damage files etc) then I have to send the HDD back.

greetz

Kurapica

@LCF-AT don't over- complicate it, if I were you  I would try the following :

1 - Get a recent version of Winhex, not a trial version.

2 - Create a full image of that USB drive onto your hard drive. Tools >> Disk Tools >> Clone ...

3 - Use Winhex file carving functions to dig out those files. Tools >> Disk Tools >> File Recovery by type ...

You can also use Winhex to open the USB file system as a browse-able tree, etc ...

Such problems happen due to bad circuits or other factors, a thunder storm can fu⁠ck up some electronics too.

Good Luck

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

what to do with an image of the USB drive?Dont wanna create a image everytime I do copy files on it etc.Not sure whether I did understand you right or not.

Info: I found comments of other users who having same problem like I have with that model.Seems that the company who sells their product isn't good anymore (bad quality control).Anyway, I have enough of wasting my time with that drive and will send it back and don't will pick that model again.

PS: I my case there was nothing happen like thunder storm or some electricity issues etc.

greetz

Kurapica

I meant you can take a snapshot of that drive in case you have important files that you can no longer access.

Avoid cheap USB drives at all costs, always go with well known brands even if slightly more expensive.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

I think next time I will not choose a USB drive anymore and choosing better a normal internal HDD.

So what are good brands for HDDs?Do you have some good in mind I can count on them etc?

PS: Just a question about HDDs (just to know it for next drive).So what should I do with the new drive when I get it?Is there any checklist I should follow?So in the past I just did format drive into NTFS quickly and thats its.Ready to use.So next time I just know I better should test the drive few weeks and checking whether files are still complete before I really trust it start copy files on them.Some advices are welcome.

greetz

Kurapica

I advise you to buy an SSD now, Go for Samsung, I find them reliable and they tend to last for years before you need to replace them.

When you get a new SSD, make sure to do a test using the supplied software to ensure all blocks can read and write correctly.

SSD are getting cheaper these days and you will like the speed difference when you try it.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi guys,

thanks for that infos again so far.So I dont plan to get an SSD so I'am using already one as system drive and this should be enough.So in my case I'am looking for a store & access drive solution like a extern drive but this time just intern (wanna forget that extern drive debacle / reached into the toilet).I'am looking already for a good HDD I could choose but its again not easy to find any I could pick with a good feeling.

Mostly I see some Seagate drives (IronWolf/Pro or Exos or BarraCuda) but don't know which to prefer you know.Anyhow its again some kind of random game.Do you guys have some hints for me on what to have an eye on?Choosing that one with the most or better less bad comments?Hhmmm, just dont know.

PS: Looking for a 8 TB model this time.Do you have any personal hints or favs in that capacities area?As I said, the drive should be work solid and safe only (keep datas on it and shut up / you know something like that). :)

greetz

ramzi2015

Hi,

I don't advise you to put all your data in one place. 

For me, I don't buy new hdd, I use old ones after testing them carefully (Max 1to). 

Hitachi drives are also a good choice but problems can occurs on any model.

After doing a backup, I prefer to unplug current from the backup drive to keep it safe until next backup.

Good luck.

• Like 1
Kurapica

I will share my experience with HDD, I used WD for years and they seem solid, I am talking about

Western Digital Black brand, fast and have the longest life among their products, you can also depend on the

Blue brand if you are only using this drive as a backup solution.

but as mentioned, all drives can fail randomly at any time, a matter of pure luck.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi guys,

hmm, sounds really bad.Anyhow are all models bad (more or less) if you check the comments about customers.That totally creepy and I still dont know what to choose.Maybe you just need some little luck to get any good working one but this game its really bad and sucks.

Sure I would like to backup on a extern drive but its same problem to get any working one.Really PITA and still dont know what to do. :(

greetz

Xyl2k

all i can says about external drive is to avoid LaCie, they are just seagate drive rebranded.
i have 4 servers filled of dell 9X09C, WD Ultrastar and Seagate EXOS, they have a rough usage everyday, so far no problem.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

thanks for the info.I found this info about some drives....

2019_Sichere-Festplatten-getestet-Backbl

....about failures and Seagate are badest and HGST is best.

Anyway, I think I will try first another other extern drive and hope that this will work correctly.

greetz

• Like 2
Sangavi
8 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

Anyway, I think I will try first another other extern drive and hope that this will work correctly

Take my advice... A hard drive is definitely not something to try to save your money upon. You can see how much time you wasted trying to recover the last one? Just not worth it, in my opinion.

Avoid seagate drives. They are well known to fail suddenly.

Western Digital ones are a lot more reliable. Go for the SERVER versions of the drives if possible (I know, some say that they should not be used for home purposes) but in my experience they last far longer and are more reliable than the usual consumer grade ones.

Check out the color codes of Western Digital drives here:

https://www.dignited.com/57978/western-digital-drives-color-codes/

I generally go for the RED ones (Pro) as they strike a good balance between cost and lifespan:

wd-red-pro-red.jpg?resize=768,509&ssl=1

The Gold ones are the best but very expensive and I reserve them for special storage tasks:

img_0158.jpg?resize=768,431&ssl=1

So... If you are looking for hard drives, go for the RED Western Digital ones. They are excellent as external or internal drives.

You can use an SSD as a boot or OS containing disk for speed if you wish.

Greetz ;)

Edited by Sangavi (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Hi guys,

thanks for another infos about HDDs.I also thought about that NAS models but I also see videos / infos not using them for home dektop tasks.Just wanna prevent such problem you know.So when I should choose a WD drive then maybe one of those models....

WD60EZAZ or WD82PURZ or WD6003FZBX

....blue purple black.They differ in cache (64 - 256) and RPM (5.400 - 7.200).Not sure whats more important or whether its important for me later.

Question: I thought about it to get an HDD 3.5 Enclosure Case where I could plugin / plugout some drives as extern solution.I was looking for a all in one ready solution first (HDD+Case) but all I found wasnt pretty well to use them with other HDDs (exchange of HDD pretty bad).Now I was checking for some Enclosure Cases and find many of them.Has anyone some recommendations about that?Then I could get both seperated etc.HDD should be plugin and out simple and device should have a power toggle switch (if possible) like the PC itself also has.

greetz

Sfc and dism.  You have bad timestamps on you Win10 cmd and bundled bluetooth driver.  At a minimum since you show corruption on your main drive.  Also chkdsk your main drive.  Do you have other usb drives to test with before we conclude it's a hardware issue?

Something is wrong with T4Y now.  I had the same errors.  Ran a tracert and a server on the way is causing issues.  Lot of European users cannot access or post as of late

• Like 1

Hi guys,

not sure where this bad timestamps comming from.I didnt use sfc or dism commands yet (dont wanna make anything trashy / unworking).Just used chkdsk on main drive and it found no errors.I dont have any USB drivers and just using Windows drivers itself and otherwise I dont have the USB drive anymore.

greetz