Tuts 4 You

USB HDD shows raw filesystem!

LCF-AT

Hi,

in the past years I always used Intensio USB drives and never had any problem with them till now with the latest model.Yes that really a good hint to keep datas on old HDD after the backup....but its more like a random game.Lets say I keep datas for few days / weeks on old HDD and checked my USB HDD for same time whether everything works and then I say "hey, now all is working fine so far and I can delete the old files on original HDD to free space" and right after that a next connection of USB HDD to PC makes this problem = Raw filesystem and I'am fornicationed again.You know.Thats really PITA.Dont wanna make 2 backups on 2 USB HDDs.Would be a good idea but also cost more time / money etc.They should really develop any more safe products to store datas on any drives (new technology) people can use and also TRUST in it.So it can not be that just something like MFT / MBR or whatever can be damaged so quickly by any reason X (PowerOff etc) and the the drive can not be read anymore correctly / datas no more accessable etc.Thats total not good you know.

PS: So one more talk about my USB drive.So at the moment its working (still got my old / damaged files on it chdsk made) and can access everything in Explorer what means that the problem (randomly getting RAW) didnt happen again til NOW.Yesterday I had connected the USB drive and did eject it safly via icon and the lights turned off.I didnt removed the cable and one hour later I just did shutdown the PC and the USB HDD light was doing nothing during shutdown (= OK right).But that one day I do remember I did the same BUT the light of USB HDD did flash / work on that process = (Why? = Problem?).Why got I those 2 diffrent results when I was shutdown the PC (not reboot) with USB drive where the cable was connected to USB port but already ejected safely (one time for few minutes and one time for few hours).Is there maybe any possible context which could be important about handle the USB drive?

Earlier on WIndows 7 I also had connected a USB drive for a long time and was using it as realtime store / backup location without to disconnect it and all the time everything was working fine also when my PC did randomly shutdown / Bluescreen / hardreset / PowerOff etc.Never got any problem with it and the datas on it.Was this just a randomly lucky punsh I had that never did happen or was there any other reason for that?

greetz

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LCF-AT

• Progman

• ramzi2015

• Kurapica

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take my advice... A hard drive is definitely not something to try to save your money upon. You can see how much time you wasted trying to recover the last one? Just not worth it, in my opinion. A

Hi, thanks for the info.I found this info about some drives.... ....about failures and Seagate are badest and HGST is best. Anyway, I think I will try first another other extern d

Was there bitlocker activated on it? If you activated bitlocker on newer windows and then try to open it on older windows the partition shows as raw.

Posted Images

ramzi2015

Hi,

Make sure to use back usb ports when using a usb hdd with a desktop computer , they are more stable and have more power then ports in front. 

Also, try to use short usb cable for better result.

Making two backups or keeping data in old hdd maybe a life saver for important data.

About the strange behavior of your usb drive when shutting down the PC, I think this is related to usb port where the drive is connected (in front or in back) or to some hardware or software connection problems. (Maybe your usb drive is the only origin of this problem due to factory failure)

For the fact that windows 7 is more stable when using usb drive, I'm totally ok with you and if you are using only windows 10, make sure to use a windows 7 virtual machine for many reasons like the actual situation.

Don't forget to take a look to the hiren boot cd, it's a great tool for solving disaster situation. 

Good luck again

• Like 1
Progman

You can turn off drive write caching in device manager to make hot unplugging less likely to cause an error.

But the partition table/mbr does not get written except when you do special actions.  Only a virus might continually try to write such an area of the drive.  So the RAW disk you saw is suspicious.

The MFT was destroyed by bad partition recovery.  Then chkdsk finished the destruction even without running it the game is already lost.  Chkdsk just makes painfully clear of that.  Too late for Active at that point.  Active would have saved your disk in 5 minutes had you started with it.

This can happen to anyone and is a great but terrible learning experience on the bright side.

The one thing in your favor for data recovery utilities is that you said you copied the files recently and have not used it for very long.   Since it is magnetic, likely fragmentation is low or non existant and generic data recovery at least stands a chance.  No MFT needed but surface scanning is slow and identifying start and end of files by heuristics is hit or miss.  Even Winhex can do this.  Forensic analysis is often trying to look for things removed from the MFT using file type identification

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

making two backups is just good when you have small datas to handle but not big datas you know.

Hhmm, not sure but I think I dont have any suspicious running which could trash that MFT/MBR thing on special action.Just remember that day where it happens I did connected my older USB drive on PC just make a snapshot of all files I have on them using the tool "Everthing".The USB drive was recognized normaly and I made a snap.After that I did disconnect this USB drive via safely unplug icon.Right after that I did plug the new USB drive on it and there I got that raw problem to see.

What do you mean with that "The MFT was destroyed by bad partition recovery"?You mean WIndows itself?Or TestDisk?I just used TestDisk trying to write new PT as I have seen on YT videos.After that chdsk did the rest on reboot right after.

Question: Can I reproduce that error to get RAW filesystem again anyhow manually?Just would like to check whether all datas I have on it are alright when I try to restore them or not.If not then it makes no sense to backup datas on USB drive anymore (maybe).Maybe a normal HDD would be better (faster, larger, cheaper).Maybe it would make less problem instead using USB drive so what do you think?At the moment I still have 4 HDDs connected (intern).Two new HDDs (M2 card for OS and realtime action and one HDD to store datas on it which I wanna / wanted to backup on USB drivel ater).The other two HDDs are old models from earlier years I still have apps on it I am using sometimes.All in all I wanted already to backup the 2 old HDDs / clean and remove them from system so that I only just use 2 HDDs at the end.Could you tell me what would be a good way / method now?Should I better trust into normal SATA HDDs (one large size one) to backup all datas (disadvantage = keeps always connected to PC) instead USB drive?Just looking for a safe solution so far you know.

Of course I have little fear when I do backup my datas again on that USB drive and getting the same shit problem again you know.

PS: Just one question about partitons.Normaly I prefer just using one partition = all datas on it.So what would be happen when I HAD make my USB drive into 2 or more partitons.Just imagine only....and that day I have connected to my PC I got that error (local drive name / Raw filesystem)....so would that also happen for ALL partitons or just one only?Do you know what I mean?Just would like to know that.

greetz

Progman

SATA is possibly more reliable because it has a dedicated bus while USB can share on some ports.  But ideally it should not matter.  Definetly turn off write caching if you are worried or hot unplugging it a lot.

Ah I thought you used a partition recovery utility otherwise chkdsk could not do anything with RAW disk.  Test disk could have blown the MFT.  However you went from RAW to partition is the culprit probably.  Again this is just a guess as a single failure of the partition table being corrupt is more likely than a double failure.

You can do it again.  Just open sector 0 of your HDD in Winhex and write all zeros to it.  Assuming MBR here GPT works a bit different.

Maybe "Everything" accidentally wrote the MBR and partition table sector by accident.  Seems highly likely.  Anyway the more details the more this seems like software and not any hardware issues.  Certain software can be dangerous including the bacup or recovery ones.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

so I found the option for that write cache and see its all enabled on my normal HDDs but not on my USB drive = was already disabled.Also the menu looks diffrent.In my USB drive (latest) I have connected I have a option for "quick removing (standart)" which is set and below a option called "Better Performance" I can switch to it if I want.Just can choose one only.So the USB drive runs already with disabled write cache as default.But this didnt help and prevent getting suddenly raw filesystem on that drive. :( Also in my USB list in device manager I can see and get listet some entrys about unknown USB device and some error about reset the port etc as hidden entrys.Not sure whether I need to care about that or how to fix / remove those entrys etc.Do you know?So in my drive list you can see 2 almost same entrys called...

Intensio External USB 3.0 SCSI Disk Device <--- latest what did make filesystem raw
Intensio External USB 3.0 Disk Device

....not sure why this one has a SCSI entry extra.Below a image of my DM...

GManager.png.b912120c817e16e802f8af368e3408bb.png

....do you see any possible error issues I need to handle / change etc?Drivers etc?Just need to know whether I can do anything now to prevent similar problems later.

PS: As I said before, I just used TestDisk to write partition table with it....

2020-11-04_191155_A3.png

....after that I did reboot and on reboot chdsk did started (must be called or set from TestDisk I think).I couldnt prevent starting chdsk on reboot because that moment I was shortly going into kittchen and when I was going back I have seen the phase 3 info text on screen and thought (Ähhmm!) and did wonder why chdsk did do something now with my USB drive and also thought (DAMN!) at the same moment.After that files was trashed and the rest is known already.Also remember many years ago I had similar problem with my datas on HDD and chdsk did done repair something and changed many files to frag files or so.After that I did disabled chdsk in registry to run automatically if anything was happen etc but this was on XP / Win7 earlier.

"Just open sector 0 of your HDD in Winhex and write all zeros to it." = ?What do you mean with that?Like a file?Dont understand that.Just can say that.I tried to recover the files AFTER chdsk reparied the raw filesystem to NTFS back.All tools I tried also your "Active Partition Recovery" did show me just all raw files which I already got to see normaly in Explorer what means I could not recover any file chdsk did trashed by filling them with zero bytes.So I could not recover any of those zero files.At the end I think its not possible to recover any file which was touched by chdsk right?All in all I think I can forget trying to recover that 90% of files chdsk did zero and should look forward now to prepair the USB drive again or finding any other / better way to backup my datas.The funny thing is that the USB drive seems to work right now.I did change anything yet on the USB drive itself and did keep connected it etc.No problems so far.I really want to know what the problem was the first time that it happens to show raw filesystem on my PC.Maybe I just format the USB drive again (quick format / dont wanna wait X hours) and backup datas again on it BUT also keeping the same backup on normal HDD at the moment and just test how it works for the next weeks.Otherwise if you guys have some better idesa I could try or do then just tell me.I also checked out some normal HDDs SATA drives (not SSD etc) to find any large model (would like to store all on it in best case) but anyhow I always find any bad comments about loosing data / getting bas secs after few months etc you know.No idea in which model I could trust to get a safe and long working model.Looks more like a random to get the right working model.Anyway, if you have some hints about that then just tell me.

greetz

Progman

I think everything is fine now but your data lost.  My guess:

You had a backup utility like Everything which accidentally overwrote you MBR.  This can happen.

You used Testdisk to restore the partition but it overwrote some of the MFT (Active is only on reliable others have done the same to me).  It refreshed the MBR but it touches the headers of the partitions too which is where it can mess up the MFT.

Windows automatically runs chkdsk on drives marked dirty on boot though it gives you a few seconds to abort it by escape key or the like.  It has ways of detecting this for USB drives it suspects are corrupted.  But if the MFT is already messed up files recovery is still a tedious hit or miss option as it's based on surface scanning.  Chkdsk is not usually zeroing free space though without a special option set or even scanning the disk surface except to check for bad clusters.

I dont think chkdsk zeroed your files.  I think your MFT just has the wrong locations for them and the zeroes are just factory zeroes for your disk.  Your data might be there but you have to use forensic like surface scan tools to find it not unrelated like or related utilities which use the MFT.  Records of deleted files exist in the MFT until the record space is reused.

The disk can be open in raw mode.  Raw sector zero has 64 bytes which are the 4 partition 16 bytes each just offsets and sizes and flags and such.  Check MBR on wikipedia.  On a data disk you dont care about the boot code in the rest of the sector.

You hardware is fine it's probably a perfectly good HDD.  Use a disk health utility to check SMART or read and write speeds and accuracy if you dont trust it.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

I got same trouble again after doing some steps!=?

So I told you guys that my USB drive was working normaly all the last days (I didnt copy / move any datas on it / still same datas on it) and yestersay I did format the USB drive again in Quickformat using computer managment.I gave the USB drive same name as before too.After the format process I could use this USB drive and did choose chdsk (right mouse on USB drive) to check the USB drive and everything was alright.Now the drive is ready to get new files but I just did created one folder on that empty USB drive and that all.Some time later I did shutdown the PC (USB was still connected and not removed = same as all days before = all working on next days) and today I did start the PC and right on booting chdsk did started or wanted to start to check the USB drive (!=? no idea why) but I did cancel it and PC did run go on.After the booting process PC was ready to use and I open the exporer and see again that my USB drive has the name "local drive" and no filesize / freesize is shown!!!!Also I dont have access anymore on it and in computer managment I see again RAW filesystem!Whats that again for a shit?Its the same happen as before.First time I did format / copy datas on it / disconnect USB or shutdown and on second run USB drive shown as Raw.I think when I do same again  (format / copy / reboot) then it will happen again.That really strange.So what could be the reason for that behavior?I'am really clueless now.Is the USB drive itself the problem or Windows 10?I dont know what I should do now.I think when I let run chdsk on reboot then it will repair something xy and then I can access / use the USB drive again.Maybe I need to format first then restart then chdsk does start (repair whatever what) and then USB drive is ready.Very strange.If anyone of you has another hints about that problem I have here then just tell me.

greetz

A1234@#

hi

1- first u should check your hard disk

download hirens boot cd (version 15.2 ) is best

boot with dvd and check your hard (choise dos tools )  1 - Hard Disk Sentinel - DOS version  for check health of hdd

2 -next check bad sector of hdd  -( hdd regenerator )

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

I can't make a CD / DVD boot etc.Do you know any free HDD check tools do make that tests?The status of this HDD was already shown as fine with the other tool I tried before.Have not seen any problem about that.The USB drive has no S.M.A.R.T. support.Not sure whether its becuase of USB HDD.

I did download HDD Regenerator and started to run a test and need to wait +4h's but I dont think that it will find anything bad on it.

ScanHDD.png.d14543b4ea945dc7d527ca1b8b2f1c70.png

What does this delays detected mean?

PS: Hhmmm, so you do mean I should unbox the plastic case and get out the 2.5 HDD and plug it on normal SATA and Power cable and doing some test (format / etc)?Not sure about that, don't wanna make this case damage or scratches on it (maybe need to send it back later) you know.Is there another method to verify whether the HDDs is the problem or not?

PS2: Lets say the HDD is fine and free of any errors / bad secs etc so whats then the problem?Lets say I do format the HDD again put any file or folder on it then reboot and I get again Raw filesystem.Whats in that case?

greetz

LCF-AT

So the scan is finished now.I got one "Delay" found....

ScanHDD2.png.91dc13e2e748a079cd16fcdecf0d73ec.png

...on first location / sector etc?The rest is fine.So what does it mean now when getting delays detected?Not sure about that yet.Maybe anyone can tell me more.

greetz

Progman

It just means the read took too long on one sector.  HDDRegenerator is a great tool for magnetic disks and it can repair bad clusters that occur due to magnetic issues on the surface.  Rescan the first sector.  That takes a few seconds and you can cancel.  The res can it a few more times.  If there is something wrong with the first sector of the disk that would explain why you MBR gets messed up.

HDDRegen has a mode to repair even if not bad.  I suggest you repair the first sector and make sure it shows no delays.

You can try Active Partition Recovery now too.  It will recover your partition table instantly.  Chkdsk wanted to run because of the sector 0 change.  But it wont do anything while the MBR is bad.  And we know Testdisk destroys MFT causing all your data loss.

You've narrowed things down finally.  I've never heard of someone having a bad sector 0 on a new disk.  But you have the right tool to fix it, if it is indeed fixable.  Otherwise you have specific info to RMA the drive.  Like you said dont take apart a new drive.  After the warranty finishes only

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

somehow the HDD Regenerator makes trouble.After the scan yesterday I could not more unplug the USB drive via icon and it shows up a message called "Error during undocking of per USB device...etc.Some app still does access the drive.Even happend when I was closing HDD R app and its running drive.Today I got same problem again.

I tried running HDD R again and this time choosing the repair mode and it does not fix that one Delay....

ScanHDD4.png.177481ed7f3ce8c190b967e761e16166.png

....I tired it few times but it shows always that D.When I was running the repair mode / sector 0 the first time then it does not show the D....

ScanHDD5.png.7d0caa3674d6a6aa90bdf864879debb4.png

.....why this?When I stop now the process and change the mode to Prescan then it does show the D again.What now?The USB drive is still raw so the repair mode didnt change anything.

I dont have "Active Partition Recovery" full version etc.Also dont know how doing the steps you mean here to recover partition table instantly.

PS: So is it possible now to fix that problem (if this Delay is really a problem) by excluding that sector etc or do I need to send the HDD back and get a other same model?

greetz

LCF-AT

One more thing.

I did run chdsk on reboot (by itself I did allow it) to repair the raw filesystem.Now I can access USB again etc.The drive is empty so far (no files from me on it just some hidden system files and logs).Now I did copy few files on it (testing) and did run chdsk from USB drive menu.After checking it tells me there was found errors and I should choose repair function of chdsk and I did and it says repairing was successfully and I can use it now.My testfiles are still all on it and usable.Now, when I run chdsk another time to check the USB drive then the same happens again.....found errors / repair it etc.So it dosent go away.How to manage that?

1.) When I format the HDD and run chdsk to check it it tells me all is fine but when I restart system etc = Raw filesystem (as I told before)

2.) When raw filesystem then I let run chdsk on reboot and it does repair anything = I get access on it (datas damage if I had any of mine on it) but when starting chdsk = found errors / repairs it again / again like loop.Error info / repair dosent go away......but it seems that I can use this USB drive normaly.Restart = all still there.

Anyhow all of this is pretty bullshit.Don't whether I can trust this HDD anymore or whatever the reason is for that issues. :(

PS: On internet I found video/s using HDD R and getting also that one Delay on first sector like me and they tell its fine / dont worry about that.

greetz

HostageOfCode

There are bad sectors in your usb hdd. In my humble experience the only way to use drive with bad sectors is to isolate the bad sectors block with new partition and leave it raw and hidden but if there are too many bad blocks better throw it to the bin. 

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

thanks for new infos.About that tool called "m3datarecoveryfree.exe".So I see it can change the raw filesystem back to normal filesystem NTFS on same drive.Does it really work without to get damage files or anything else bad?Just want to know whether its really possible to recover all file / filesystem directly on SAME drive without to recover files to another drive etc you know.So I see the free version only can handle 1 GB for none bitlocker (I dont use encrytion etc).Lets say I make same steps as before with my USB drive (have some smaller files on it) and getting Raw filesystem again so then I would trying to use that tool and it should work to make the filesystem to NTFS again and recover the files right (max 1 GB)?

How do you know that my USB has bad secs?The tools didnt shown any bad secs except that one Delay thing.I also dont know how to partion the drive to isolate that bad stuff.Of course I dont throw the new drive into trashcan.... better I throw it somebody on the head (maybe that will fix the problem). :) Alright, so you mean I should stop playing around and send it back.But somehow I have a strange feeling that the same will happens again with a other same  model USB drive.What then?

Info: So I have test this chkdsk again but this time I did run it from CMD window and now it seems to work to fix that errors.After that I tried to run it from mouse menu and it says no errors found.Seems that the repair mode dosent work using the menus etc.Below the CMD infos I got running chkdsk with /f 2 times.

Spoiler

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.1198]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk h: /f
Der Typ des Dateisystems ist NTFS.
Die Volumebezeichnung lautet Orion.

Phase 1: Die Basisdatei-Systemstruktur wird untersucht...
  256 Datensätze verarbeitet.
Dateiüberprüfung beendet.
  0 große Datensätze verarbeitet.
  0 ungültige Datensätze verarbeitet.

Phase 2: Die Dateinamenverknüpfung wird untersucht...
  1 Analysedatensätze verarbeitet.
  294 Indexeinträge verarbeitet.
Indexüberprüfung beendet.
  0 nicht indizierte Dateien überprüft.
  0 nicht indizierte Dateien wiederhergestellt.

Phase 3: Sicherheitsbeschreibungen werden untersucht...
Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 100 in Index $SII der Datei 9 wird repariert.
Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 101 in Index $SII der Datei 9 wird repariert.
Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 102 in Index $SII der Datei 9 wird repariert.
Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 100 in Index $SDH der Datei 9 wird repariert.
Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 101 in Index $SDH der Datei 9 wird repariert.
Ein Indexeintrag mit der Kennung 102 in Index $SDH der Datei 9 wird repariert.
Segment des Sicherheitsdatensatzes wird repariert.
1 unbenutzte Indexeinträge werden aus dem Index $SII der Datei 9 gelöscht.
1 unbenutzte Indexeinträge werden aus dem Index $SDH der Datei 9 gelöscht.
1 nicht verwendete Sicherheitsbeschreibungen werden aufgeräumt.
Überprüfung der Sicherheitsbeschreibungen beendet.
  20 Datendateien verarbeitet.
CHKDSK überprüft USN-Journal...
Die Überprüfung von USN-Journal ist abgeschlossen.

Es wurden Korrekturen am Dateisystem vorgenommen.
Es sind keine weiteren Aktionen erforderlich.

4769303 MB Speicherplatz auf dem Datenträger insgesamt.
   1135076 KB in 23 Dateien
        84 KB in 21 Indizes
         0 KB in fehlerhaften Sektoren
    215756 KB vom System benutzt
     65536 KB von der Protokolldatei belegt
   4767984 MB auf dem Datenträger verfügbar.

4096 Bytes in jeder Zuordnungseinheit
1220941791 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger insgesamt
1220604062 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger verfügbar

****************** Another run **************************

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk h: /f
Der Typ des Dateisystems ist NTFS.
Die Volumebezeichnung lautet Orion.

Phase 1: Die Basisdatei-Systemstruktur wird untersucht...
  256 Datensätze verarbeitet.
Dateiüberprüfung beendet.
  0 große Datensätze verarbeitet.
  0 ungültige Datensätze verarbeitet.

Phase 2: Die Dateinamenverknüpfung wird untersucht...
  294 Indexeinträge verarbeitet.
Indexüberprüfung beendet.
  0 nicht indizierte Dateien überprüft.
  0 nicht indizierte Dateien wiederhergestellt.

Phase 3: Sicherheitsbeschreibungen werden untersucht...
Überprüfung der Sicherheitsbeschreibungen beendet.
  20 Datendateien verarbeitet.
CHKDSK überprüft USN-Journal...
  752 USN-Bytes verarbeitet.
Die Überprüfung von USN-Journal ist abgeschlossen.

Dateisystem wurde überprüft, keine Probleme festgestellt.
Keine weiteren Aktionen erforderlich.

4769303 MB Speicherplatz auf dem Datenträger insgesamt.
   1135084 KB in 24 Dateien
        84 KB in 21 Indizes
         0 KB in fehlerhaften Sektoren
    216268 KB vom System benutzt
     65536 KB von der Protokolldatei belegt
   4767984 MB auf dem Datenträger verfügbar.

4096 Bytes in jeder Zuordnungseinheit
1220941791 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger insgesamt
1220603932 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger verfügbar

C:\Windows\system32>

Not sure whether I can trust the peace now.

greetz

ramzi2015

Hi,

I didn't used the tool called "m3datarecoveryfree.exe" so I don't know if it really works or not. I use the "h i r e n  b o o t  d v d"  to solve my problems.

If the usb hdd is still not stable, send it back and use an internal sata hdd instead but you have to disconnect it after finishing your backup because disaster can occurs at any time. 

Good luck again.

• Like 1
Progman

I would use latest tools now Hirens or what have you.  E.g. Sergei Strelec Win10PE latest.  Some changes to things in the boot partition with later Windows versions might cause MFT damage for example.

Your issue requires diagnostics now as you have to prove if software or a defective drive is the issue.  Based on your posts it is hard to know.  The HDDRegen delay might be normal on sector 0 but in your case sector 0 seems to be the whole issue.  That tool has a special repair mode not the one you used but that forces regeneration for a range but probably in the paid version which is not hard to find. Perhaps you will have to RMA the drive but it's best to diagnose first.

I would use Winhex to open the drive when it goes raw and check the first 64 bytes of sector 0.  What exactly is written in the partition table.  Now since it is a 5tb drive also wondering if you have a GPT partition.

Also said it in the past but you should update your BIOS as USB and other issues could have been fixed.  I am guessing the Intenso drive does not have a firmware update available but these are things to check.

Edited by Progman (see edit history)
  • Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

I have another question.Is it possible to restore the used filesystem (NTFS in my case) when its getting Raw without to loose datas?On internet I found some tools and infos about saving / backup / restore the Partition Table....

Example...
https://www.diskgenius.com/manual/backup-and-restore-partition-table.php

....but what does it mean?My drive seems not to have any damage (check tools saying all fine I have test also surface test of Partition Wizard is fine) and seems only getting RAW after I did format the drive on Win10 and reboot.Now lets say I do format the drive and NOW I make / do this backup of Partition Table (just using one in my case).Now I do copy datas on the drive and Simsalabim the drive shows RAW filesstem one day.Now comes the important part.When I do restore now the partition table I did backup before so what happens then?Is the drive getting the NTFS filesystem back = I have access on my drive back and to all datas (are they damage or not?) or what does it mean?The description isnt explain it clear for me.You know what I mean right?

1.) Format Drive to NTFS filesystem
2.) Backup Partition Table
3.) Drive getting Raw by any reason XY
4.) Restore Partition Table
5.) What did happen?

Otherwise I dont check why we should make a backup of PT when its not change the filesystem back you know.Or is it only helpfully to recover file later from source to new location etc?

By the way, on YT I see just videos of people using Chkdsk with /r mode to repair filesystem from RAW back to normal and they have all files working and no damage files. :) Somehow pretty bad showing that like this without telling that file could be getting damage with this method.Not good for Otto normal users who have no clue (like me).

I still dont know what to do now.So the USB drive "SEEMS" to work now using that detour method (format on Windows10 / reboot / chdsk did run and did repair filesystem).I did copy datas on it and nothing bad happens so far.Also chkdsk tells me that all is fine you know.Lets say I do trust that peace and copy datas on it but then one day its getting Raw and then I have to recover files again back to other drive etc.But this could also happen at all so or so right.

PS: I did just format the USB 5TB drive in NTFS and it shows MBR.That GPT thing I did with the other HDDs when using diskpart to could install Win10 on it.Dont remember anymore so good now.Was there any another rule with Windows 10 x64 and HDDs with XY TB sizes etc?

greetz

LCF-AT

Hi,

so you do remember I did copy some testfiles on the USB drive (some videos I put on it to see quickly whether the lenght of them are still shown = ok).Now I see 2 files dont have a lenght anymore and they are empty = trash.Not sure who was it (chdsk /f or HDD R repair mode).Hhmm.I also see when I do use copy / paste with a file which is already on USB drive and copy same file another time on USB drive then it does show me a speed of 35 MB/s.When I copy / paste file from other HDD to USB then the speed is 120 MB/s.Why this?Normal?

greetz

18 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

Hi,

so you do remember I did copy some testfiles on the USB drive (some videos I put on it to see quickly whether the lenght of them are still shown = ok).Now I see 2 files dont have a lenght anymore and they are empty = trash.Not sure who was it (chdsk /f or HDD R repair mode).Hhmm.I also see when I do use copy / paste with a file which is already on USB drive and copy same file another time on USB drive then it does show me a speed of 35 MB/s.When I copy / paste file from other HDD to USB then the speed is 120 MB/s.Why this?Normal?

greetz

try Harddisk Sentinel to check your HDD Condition :

https://www.hdsentinel.com/beta5/hdsentinel_pro_setup_56112-bicr.zip

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

ok I did download that tool HDS... and it shows all HDDs are perfect.I did manually a short selftest and all is fine.The surface test I did yesterday already with a other tool called MiniTool_Partition_Wizard (some hours running) and all was fine = no bad secs found etc.Should I do some more with that HDSentinel app?

One more info.Yesterday before I did shutdown the PC I did copy few video files on that USB drive again.After copy process all files was there and working = all have shown the info of the lenght time of the video.So remember, before shutdown all info was there.Today I boot the PC and it does boot normal (no chkdsk or anything started by itself just normal boot) and I did open explorer to check the video files on my USB drive I did copy and what do I see.....ONE video file dosent show the video lenght anymore but all other do.I tried to run this one video file but it dosent work to play it.Now I did compare that video file with the original video file I have on other HDD and see the diffrent.The video file on USB drive is not complete anymore and somewhere inside of this video it shows just 0 bytes.

ScanHDD6.png.95b45619f01cb028c8d5bbc77ee0be8f.png

Now the question is what happend here and who etc!=?So chdsk didnt run but the content of that file was changed / filled with 0 bytes.What does it mean now?

By the way, the model of this HDD called "WDC WD50NPZZ-00A9JT0" (HDS tool did show it) but I don't find this model on internet!=?Also not on this site..

https://smarthdd.com/database/Western-digital.htm

...why this?

greetz

Progman

Again so it is happening with multiple HDDs so its even less and less likely its a hardware error.  Some software is a culprit here.  I already mentioned a virus infection.  Perhaps you have some tool you downloaded that is corrupting things because it is old and incompatible, etc.  It will be interesting to know eventually when you do figure out what is trashing your drives.  But magnetic drives simple do not write 0s to entire blocks without a software instruction telling them to do just that.  Maybe take a look at SysInternals autoruns, run it as administrator and check all the non-Microsoft start up programs and drivers you have on the system.  Surely somewhere you will find something that is up to no good whether malicious or not...

• Like 1