Tuts 4 You

USB HDD shows raw filesystem!

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

I have a bad problem.Few days ago I did prepair my USB drive (format with NTFS) and gave it a name.Everything seems to be ok and I did started to backup much files on it.Today I did connected that USB disk and see that the name I gave that USB disk didnt showed up in my explorer (just local disk as name) and also no filesize was shown too.Now I cant access it anymore etc.In the computer management / disks I can see all my hard-drives (also that USB drive) what shows me filesystem raw and also the full filesize with 100% free!Great!!!

So what can I do now?Dont wanna loose the datas I did backup already and deleted from my other HDD.Is there are way to restore that NTFS filesystem anyhow without to loose my datas?Would be  nice if you could give me some hints what to do now.

Thank you

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LCF-AT

• Progman

• ramzi2015

• Kurapica

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take my advice... A hard drive is definitely not something to try to save your money upon. You can see how much time you wasted trying to recover the last one? Just not worth it, in my opinion. A

Hi, thanks for the info.I found this info about some drives.... ....about failures and Seagate are badest and HGST is best. Anyway, I think I will try first another other extern d

Was there bitlocker activated on it? If you activated bitlocker on newer windows and then try to open it on older windows the partition shows as raw.

Posted Images

HostageOfCode

Was there bitlocker activated on it?

If you activated bitlocker on newer windows and then try to open it on older windows the partition shows as raw.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

what do you mean?What is bitlocker?Can you explain this more in detail please.

Just can say that, I have a fresh USB drive and did connected it to PC under Windows 10 64 bit.Then I just did quick format it into NTFS format with 4096 cylinder settings (was set by default).After this everything was fine and working and I did start to copy datas from my normal HDD to USB and today I got that bullshit issue and cant access my USB HDD anymore.Total Crap.No idea what was going wrong here.Just did shutdown PC with connected USB HDD few days ago and today I get this problems.Question is whether its really a USB drive problem itself (hardware issue) or anything else but that one day I did format the USB drive I did also scandisk the drive after and all was fine.

PS: What do to if I really need to restore the datas?Which apps I should use (free if possible) and how to prepair the USB drive again (format etc) and make it ready for a backup of my datas?

greetz

aIjundi

Sometimes USB storage show as raw when it is not. Try re-plugging it in different ports.

If that was not the case, it could be that the partition table is deleted/corrupted. For that, you might be able to rebuild the partition without losing the data using some tool like TestDisk

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

I tried 2 ports but got same bad results with them with that USB HDD.With my other USB HDD its working.

About that TestDisk tool.So I watched some videos on YT now how to use it to restore partition table but I also see that in those examples the HDDs having still the filesystem NTFS etc.Does it also wotk in my case with filesystem Raw?I just have one partition which is active but just Raw.I think that means partiton is OK (nothing deleted etc) only filesystem is wrong.Just asking so I dont have any clue about that now you know.

greetz

Teddy Rogers

Possibly the adaptor has failed. If it is important data you could open the case to pull out the hard drive. If you have a docking station drop it in there to see if it works. Alternatively try a SATA to USB connector...

Ted.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

ok I tried to write that table with that TestDisk tool but I dont see any changes.I also did reboot but normaly should  not be needed for a USB drive.Anyway, no success  yet.I am  not sure whether I did something wrong by choosing the right USB HDD model from the list.I got 2 or 3 diffrent points to choose of that USB drive.I choosed that with physical entry etc.Later if I need to confirm to write by entering the Y letter.After that came that reboot message I have to do etc.So it didnt worked for me.What now?

@Teddy Rogers

The USB HDD is a new one and today was the second time I did connected it to PC.On first time few days ago all was working and I did started to copy files on it.Thats pretty super bad.I also cant beleive it.Not sure what did happen that the filesystem was changed from NTFS to Raw.The question is now is what I should do.Sure I need to restore the datas anyhow (need new free space in that case).That tool qphotorec_win cant just only scan to show files & filesizes whats pretty bad.I dont know now how much space I need to restore all files.

I dont have any extra docking station or something.I have another USB calbes for my other USB drive (same model just lower size) which I also tried but got same results with them.So its the first time that I got that trouble with a USB drive now.All years before everything was working fine.Maybe Windows 10 is the problem itself etc.Not sure how to explain that issues....first connection works fine and second connection = Raw.Really nice bad crap.Lets say I can restore the datas so what to do then with that USB HDD?Dont wanna get this problem another time and restore datas back & back  you know.Any more hints are welcome.

greetz

Progman

Is it a magnetic drive or flash memory or SSD?  USB can be any of those.  In fact though SSD uses flash it's much higher quality than the cheap flash HDDs.  Magnetic drives dont just randomly die one day due to write cycles causing it to become read only and often left in a corrupt state.  If course you said a fresh new drive so shouldn't apply.  Remounting like Ted suggested is a good idea to narrow down from a USB adapter failure to a drive failure.  But partition recovery software might also help.  Could be unplugging trashed the partition sectors.  Active Recovery software has saved me when no other solution could.  Can find in full on TPB

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi,

so I dont know what you mean with that SATA to USB cable.I can not un-case this USB drive (not if possible etc).The USB drive is this one...(5 TB Black)

https://www.intenso.de/en/products/hard-drives/memory-case

Normal USB with magnetic drive.

I tried that tool called "MiniTool Power Data Recovery" and there it does show my USB HDD with name & used and free size.Now if I scan it then it finds files but all without original names!=?Thats bad.If I use that TestDisk tool and choose method "P" to list files on that USB HDD then I can see the entire structure like in Explorer before where it was working.I see all folder and files with names.So what now?Everything is there so far.If I write partition table with that tool then it dosent have any effect.What about that MBR thing?I see also a option to write that MBR code to first sector.Would that bring anything?My USB HDD is marked as * what means bootable and primary.Not sure why its bootable.Maybe that tool made that when I was doing to write that partion table (write).

So that TestDisk tool does show me all my connected HDDs.That USB HDD is also shown in the menu but 3 times.I show what I did with images....

1.) I got my USB drive 3 times listet like this.Now sure which to choose but I think it dosent play any role or?I picked the first one now...

2020-11-04_191155_A1.png.9e3229885dd1f0ff3a1e1615659706f0.png

2.) I chosed quick scan and got this results.One partition with * HPFS (what that?) and NTFS type.From here I can also press P key to explore into it like in explorer and I see all my files there...

2020-11-04_191155_A2.png.1ec0ba73a832b8e4fe356fc22a1a6e5e.png

3.) I press ENTER...and choose "write" at the bottom and after this Y to write the partition table.Now it says reboot but after this all is still same bad as before = filesystem still Raw and I can access the HDD via explorer.Whats the problem in that case?Did I used the tool right now or not?Or is it only working for normal HDDs = not USB drives etc?

2020-11-04_191155_A3.png.6a045151717f14eb6af21c8dd582a7f4.png

PS: I need some more advices guys what I should do now.Thank you.

greetz

LCF-AT

Hi again,

ok, I made thos steps above from my images again and did reboot.Now on reboot I got a message what did looked like from scandisk earlier etc with something repair etc.After that I got my USB HDD back in explorer to see and I can access it (good so far).All folders and files are visible but most of them are not working anymore = broken / damage and I always get a message about broken trashcan etc.All in all fornicationed up super bullshit!!!I think in that case I cannot rescue any of those broken files anymore anyhow or?

What to do with that USB HDD now?Format again (how) and copy files again on it and next time I got same problem again?UHHmmmmm!That really sucks!

greetz

HostageOfCode
11 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

What to do with that USB HDD now?Format again (how) and copy files again on it and next time I got same problem again?UHHmmmmm!That really sucks!

Would format and test for bad sectors to see if you can rely on it. H2testw is good tool to test first and then scandisk if found bad sectors.

• Like 1
ramzi2015

Hi LCF-AT,

I advise you not to focus only on the usb drive, you may recover deleted data from the original disk using some recovery tool (Many videos exist in youtube). 

Good luck.

• Like 1
Progman

If you recover with the wrong tool you could end up with big problems e.g. permanent data loss.  Active Partition Recovery has been the only one which could recover my data in several instances.

https://www.partition-recovery.com/index.html

It could be you unsafely unplugged the drive while it was writing these early sectors possibly from having a virus on the system.  Boot kit virus can write those sectors often.  I doubt it's a SATA or USB issue.  You would have to open the case and remount it but what you describe is a HDD level issue.  Checking the surface of the disk for errors would be a good idea at least the first few gigabytes.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi guys,

thank you for trying to help me with my problem.I think I did something bad using that TestDisk tool and to write the partition table on it AND reboot.Right on reboot process chdsk was called and did scan the USB drive and tried to repair it (3 phases etc) (also have the log of it) and right on that process it did what it did = destroying A LOT of my datas by filling them with 0 bytes.After this I got access on my USB drive (as before) and all seems to be fine so far on the first view.All datas was there and had also their right sizes but on checking them I have seen the problems that the files wasnt working (because they are empty / I did check that with Hex editor). :( I checked all files and only 5- 10 % of all wasn't touched = all fine and the rest of 90+% are trashed (full zero or just half etc). :( Thats really a super shit.The datas are lost now for ever. :cry:

Now the master question is whether the files was alright before chdsk was running on reboot.So the TestDisk tool has a option to list all files as I told before and I could see all files like in explorer.There was also a copy function to restore single or selected files.The question is......if I had did that before whether the file would be alright to 100%?You know what I mean?Just would like to know that now to be sure what to do next time IF this crap should happen another time in the future.Maybe I had to try this before out and before wrting that partition table & reboot / chdsk you know.Super damn!!!!

Ok, so I can cry or not but my datas are lost so far.Thank you "Intenso" or "Microsoft" whatever the reason was it was NOT MY FAULT!!!So this you really can't tell anyone.I did just out the USB drive 2 times on my computer.First time everything ok = copy many datas and second time = can't read USB drive = Raw filesystem!This is such a ultra crap I would really like to kick in some asses!Apart from this that I'am still ultra angry I would like to know HOW to PREVENT such PROBLEM/s again.You know.

1.) I have this USB drive.What to do now with it and how to prepair it for a next operation to copy my datas on it and KEEP them there without to get any issues again?How to test this USB drive whether its alright or whether I still can use it or better not etc?I have not much clue about HDDs and tools etc.The first I did format the USB drive from explorer from fat32 to NTFS format using quickformat function and did choose 4096 cylinders (this was set already).Was that right so far?After this I wanted to check the USB drive with scandisk to check whether the USB drive is ok but it said already its ok and scandisk dont need to run now.Thats it.Now I did copy files and the rest is known already.Just wanna know whether I did anything wrong and if not what was the possible reason why it wasnt working anymore on a next connection to computer?Nothing happens between.No power down or whatever.I just disconnected the USB from PC by choosing the icon function in tray where it said I can disconnect USB now.I did USB on cable and shut PC down and then I did remove the cable.That was it.All done before like this with my other USB drives too and never got any problems.So if you got any more hints for me how to handle that stuff & how to prevent problems then just tell me please.Just dont wanna that this happens again etc.

PS: So I did also checkout my other HDD using recover tools for checking the files I did copy to USB.I used MiniTool "Power Data Recovery" but that tool is crap (my opinion).I also did CUT OUT the files from original HDD and MOVED them on my USB drive.Maybe that was a problem too because I noticed that the files I did just copy / paste was all alright after chdsk did repair the USB and all other files I did just CUT & PASTE was damage / empty.Not sure whether its just a random etc but its just something I did notice.Maybe next time I should just use the COPY / PASTE function and delete the old files to trashcan.

PS2: As I said before I didn't just unplug the USB drive when it was writing anything.I always use the icon symbol to throw out the USB and disconnect then the cable when the flash lights are off or I just rebboot or shutdown etc.No fault from my side so far.That the reason why I wonder as the USB wasnt working anymore on next connection to PC.

PS3: Ok, what to do now (again) to check & format this USB drive?Is there NOW any way to recover my files from that USB also if the most of them are empty (zero filled bytes) now OR can I completely forget that = Datas are lost?Just need to know this first if possible.Next, how to prepair the USB now?What steps should I do now.First format = (how / which method etc) and after this how to test check / sectors etc.I would like to check the USB then from head to Zeh (Toe) before I try to copy some files on it next time and testing the USB for some days whether all is still working without to delete the original file from my other HDD etc you know.All infos are welcome if you have and wanna tell or better show me (step-list for dummies if possible).That would be nice guys.

Thank you

aIjundi
1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

A LOT of my datas by filling them with 0 bytes

1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

90+% are trashed

That is unfortunate.

1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

So the TestDisk tool has a option to list all files as I told before and I could see all files like in explorer.

1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

The question is......if I had did that before whether the file would be alright to 100%?

There is no guarantee. It is totally possible that the files were already trashed before chdsk (I'm not really familiar with how it exactly works). Filesystems reserve a portion of the drive (i.e. the superblock) which tracks the files information (name, size, its mapping on the drive, and some other information), so it could the the case that the superblock is still intact, while some other blocks (which contain the files contents) got corrupted/overwritten.

1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

I also did CUT OUT the files from original HDD and MOVED them on my USB drive.

Before you use the original HDD anymore, try using some recovery program (may be "recover my files", or recuva or any other tool you might be familiar with). There still might be a chance that you could recover something.

1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

Is there NOW any way to recover my files from that USB also if the most of them are empty (zero filled bytes) now OR can I completely forget that = Datas are lost?

As far is I know, I think they are lost for good. But you can also try using some recovery program like mentioned above. You might get some luck

1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

What steps should I do now.

I don't really have something specific. I would say wipe the whole drive with zeroes and do a full format. This is just in case the drive misbehaves again it will have all the older trash data cleaned which might yield a better chance of recovering data if needed. But I guess you should wait on this a bit to see whether someone who experienced and overcame this issue come along and share some better solution.

Edited by aIjundi (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Progman

I have had the EXACT same thing happen with chkdsk trashing my data.  This is not due to a bad partition but a bad master file table MFT.  If you have a bad MFT, you should recover all data possible with recovery tools before letting chkdsk trash the drive.  Some bad partition recovery tools will trash some of the MFT which basically makes it hopeless to ever fix it.

Boot sectors and Partitions are very easy to reconstruct by a good tool.  But the MFT is life or death.

Big lesson about daring to use chkdsk when you suspect a corrupted MFT.  Corrupt MFT = big emergency, recover before proceeding to let chkdsk trash or just going ahead and formatting the drive.  Again I doubt you had a bad MFT until you used bad partition recovery tools.  That's why I specifically mentioned the ACTIVE one.  This is no advertisement - get it on the TPB.  I have used many and either they did a bad job, were incredibly slow, messed up the MFT and caused chkdsk to trash my data, could not recover everything 100%, etc. 

I  gave fair warning!!! I said use Active Partition Recovery.  Minitool, the others work in very limited scenarios.  You called it "crap" yourself!  That tool has been a life saver, it always finds and recovers the partition without ever corrupting anything and it does it in an instant.  I have literally been through 100% exactly the same situation you have.  Sometimes due to unplugging.  Sometimes due to use RMPrepUSB with an accidental wrong drive letter or any other sector 0 accidental writing stupidities.  It even helped me recover when my cache SSD died as part of Intel Rapid Storage where it looked like my HDD was hosed.

Now you are stuck with using surface scanning data recovery tools and if your drive was fragmented just forget about it unless you have some really specific critical data like source code.  You should format and start again and remember this so you can safely recover should something ever happen again.

There are not any MFT recovery tools sadly, only chkdsk which is a repair not recovery utility.  You end up with a valid MFT and all your data destroyed.  Any tool that messes up the MFT should be banned from the internet I suppose :).  But its shocking how many of them figure that hiding behind the disclaimer warning notice will proceed to do just that!

Edited by Progman (see edit history)
  • Like 1
A1234@#

Hi

for many of my client happen this when plug external hard disk to android tv or some time connect to phone

easy way u use "Lazesoft Recovery Suite Unlimited" crack version

this recovery all data with same folder name and files name

Edited by A1234@# (see edit history)
  • Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi guys,

hmmm.You mean I got a MFT problem.But does it happen so whats the reason for that IF I just did handle the USB drive correctly (disconnect etc)?Ah DAMN!I knew it that chdsk did trash my datas!Shit shit shit!Maybe all datas would be still there for 100% and I should / had better just used the resstore or copy function in that TestDisk tool.Uhhnm!But no, Internet said write that partition table and reboot.Great!!!

Alright, next time if this should happen again (never did before with any other USB XY I had) then I try to prevent that chdsk will do anything.Now the datas should be still there but I dont have access in explorer = Raw filesystem.Right so far right?So what should I do now.....?

1.) I must recover my datas to any other HDD because the HDD can not be fixed without loosing / trashing datas right.Now I start any recover tool and recover datas.

2.) Format USB HDD again.

3.) Copy backup again on USB HDD & Disconnect

4.) Connect USB HDD later again

5.) USB HDD show again Raw filesystem!=!=!=!

6.) Doing all steps again

7.) Disconnect USB HHD

8.) Open my Window

9.) Throwing USB HDD out of my WIndow far away

10.) Shutdown PC

Anyhow that really sucks.So why are those HDD so susceptible for such problem.Any small issues XY and all datas are gone on first view.I dont check that.Why they didnt create or build some more safer method for HDDs?The normal user has always the ass-card to handle such problems whats really PITA.

So I also tried using that "MiniTool Power Data Recovery".It did show all partitions of my HDD and also that of my USB with correctly size / free size.Now on scanning the USB drive it did just show raw files without names and infos about the file = all files are unknown for me so far.Thats bad.Also now after chdsk was trashing my datas and did repair the MFT so that I got access again on my USB drive the tool does show just raw files ALSO if they are to see in explorer WITH names and infos etc.Now I just can recover the files which are already working in explorer and all other files which are filled with 0 bytes will not shown.Anyway, I also think that chdsk just did trash over 90% of my files.No idea why so much datas was trashed and only round about 10% kept untouched.

Just wanna say again that I have not much ideas about all those hardware stuff etc and I hope you dont mind if I just talk like this (dummie way) you know.So I am just angry about it.

Ok, so now lets talk again about what I should do now to prepair my USB drive for next backup round.Here I need some details or steplist.

- Format USB drive: How?Using Windows itself (Explorer) for this or any tool XY and which setting should I use?

- Verify formated HDD with any tool?

- If USB is ready now how can I test this USB drive now first?Copy some datas on it and then disconnect / connect later etc?

So you know what I mean guys right?Just need some kind of schedule to know what to do.

About that Active Partition Recovery tool you said.Is the free version enough?By the way, I did watched some video about that tool and if I see there was any method to restore datas in-build on same HDD without to copy files before on other HDD.Not sure whether that would be possible in my case or not etc.So all in all I still dont know what a problem I had now.MFT or not etc?All what I could see if this did happens was that the filesystem did change from NTFS to RAW (disk management) but the partition was there and visible and marked as active and in blue color marked.So I am already pretty confused again.

PS: Thanks for the hint about another tool.Didnt tried them yet.

greetz

LCF-AT

One more thing.I always get this message from Windows....

USB1.png.a864ba9badec07d04a3d9b70448adc65.png

.....and....

USB2.png.1d081de47174cbc997c8a69b37438574.png

....it tells me the last connected USB device wasnt recognized!?So I get this message diffrent times without connected USB drive only.Last time the USB drive was plugged yesterday for a short while where I just checked whether it can be accessable or not (it was).After that I disconnected (icon) and some later this messages popup and today too few times (no USB drive connected today).What does that mean?

greetz

A1234@#

for recovery any hdd better is u connect your hdd by sata port

1- faster in recovery

2- sata is more stable

• Like 1
ramzi2015

You have to use another hdd for recovering your data if there is only one partition in the corrupted one. If one of the usb port is damaged, it may cause some problems .

The popups means your USB hardware is not compatible with windows 10. To turn off the popups:

hit the windows key and type notifications & actions

Set Show app notifications off

I suggest to take a look to below links, they may be useful in your case.

https://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-external-hard-drive-recovery.htm

How to Recover lost Data from External RAW HDD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Bq7J0H6dA&t=223s

Like suggested by A1234@#,  connecting corrupted hdd to sata port is better and faster.

I advise you to eject usb drive safetly before unplging usb cord like image below that may be the origin of your problem.

download.jpg.7fc405f82d24fc331bdbde55f29270f4.jpg

Good luck.

Edited by ramzi2015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
whoknows
1 hour ago, LCF-AT said:

.What does that mean?

saying, backup asap the HDD.. once recognized, run this app to see the health status - carifred.com/cleardiskinfo/ 

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

what do you mean with SATA port?I have SATA ports inside of PC on mainboard where I have connected some HDDs.I dont have any SATA outside just USB ports or do you mean anything else?One more time, I did unplug the USB drive correctly by using that icon in task to remove eject the drive.Its the same icon like on your image ramzi2015.Just trust me, I did everything right.

I tried your tool whoknows but it shwos my USB HDD with status OK.Is just running for 22 Hours only.

One more time, I tried using that "Active Partition Recovery" to scan (wants 12 Hours to scan all!!) but it also does find & show the files which are already to see in explorer (only those which have no zero bytes).It also dosent show any original file names = all in all seems to work pretty same like that other tool called MiniTool Power Data Recovery.

Would be better I didnt had used that chdsk by reboot so then I could test my USB drive again and check out whether files are working or not.Uhhmm!Shitie.Ok, next time I will know it better.Seems I cant recover any more files now from that USB drive = I can make it ready for another format operation.Not sure whether I should the long format operation (not quick) so how long will this take?Not 12h too or?!

greetz

ramzi2015

Hi,

For the sata port it must be internal for better speed and communication. 

Take a look to this tool, its great for doing many things hxxps://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/   ( how to use video hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJCVlieO4Q)

I don't know if the  intenso external usb hdd is a good one or not?

Always when doing backup, make sure not to delete old data until you are sure 100% about the new hdd and also try to make two copies of your data if possible.

For me, I use internal hdd for laptops and desktops as a backup solution but after testing them with Victoria and Crystal disk info for example. For external use of these hdd, I use usb to sata adapter like in the below image but I'm so careful when using them. (There is much better quality )

2143915258_images(2).jpg.db400f166d76492a23b806af9b037f39.jpg

Good luck and be patient.

• Like 1