Tuts 4 You

Memory Questions

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

I would like to ask something about PC memory slots and what I can choose & use with.Somehow its pretty confusing again to get an overview about whats important if I would upgrade some memory.So in my PC I'am using one memory slot with 8 GB.CPU-Z does show me that infos....

A0.png.29247cb026763ced90c957f0f5c6f6da.pngA1.png.63116541180ee958b6f31300f7ca4410.png

...now I was trying to find some similar memory using the part number on image two and found some same.

CT8G4DFS8266
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC4-21300-UDIMM-288-Pin-Memory-dp-B0734V4SSR/dp/B0734V4SSR/

It also has same part number and should be same like I have already in my PC.If I check that amazon page options for this memory then I can choose diffrent memory sizes on the Capacity panel starting from 4 - 64 GB Kit.The image looks so...

A2.png.f5cca02e50c724beb8ca198f5602d560.png

...so what does it mean?

- 8 GB | 8 GB Dual Rank | 8 GB Single Rank | 8 GB Kit (4 GBx2) | 8 GB Kit (4 GBx2) Single Rank

On the image on CPU-Z I can see the info single at the channel entry and at Ranks entry.Is that same info?I think in my case I have that single rank memory right.Ok, so if I wanna upgrade to 16 GB then I should pick another same 8 GB single rank memory bar right?So what about that 8 GB / 16 GB entrys which have no single or dual info in that menu....what are that for memory bars?Lets say I wanna upgrade with a 16 GB memory bar so which one of them above should I pick then?There is no 16 GB single rank only 16 GB entry!=?Could I use that too or not together with my memory bar?So all in all I would like just to know which kind of them I could use or not you know to be sure that the memory bar is working / compatible.Maybe you could tell me a little bit about it.

Thank you

notkult

This is what I found:

"A memory rank is a set of DRAM chips connected to the same chip select, which are therefore accessed simultaneously. In practice all DRAM chips share all of the other command and control signals, and only the chip select pins for each rank are separate (the data pins are shared across ranks)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank

So basically from what I am reading this just pertains to how big the bus of each memory chip is (don't quote me on this).

Edited by notkult (see edit history)
  • Like 1
deepzero

8 GB Kit (4 GBx2) | 8 GB Kit (4 GBx2) Single Rank = you will get two 4gb bars, not what you want

single rank, dual rank = dual rank is special option, you almost certainly have and want single rank. indeed the part number you posted seems single rank.

8 GB || 8 GB Single Rank | = same thing, probably different charges or submodels

tldr: You want to buy the standard "8GB" bar. Or the "16GB".

Both should work, 8GB certainly does, if you want 16gb you could google your motherboards id and "mix 8gb 16gbs ram stick" to rule out any performance issues when mixing, but there shoulnt be any issue really.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again,

so I also think that I dont need some dual rank bars if I have already one single rank bar connected I dont wanna waste of course.I tried to check the diffrent specs of 8 GB single rank & 8 GB only using the ID number.The diffrents are....here...I marked them....

SR.png.28a641b667000223442e29a549c3f357.png

.....and....

NSR.png.2e3f7fda7074163d16010ec8f1f8dde0.png

...not sure whether the diffrents are relevant or not etc.So about the RAM specs limits of my MainBoard I found this out...

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H310M-E-R2-0/specifications/

Memory
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR4 2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* The maximum memory frequency supported varies by processor
** DDR4 2666MHz and higher memory modules will run at max. 2666MHz on Intel® 8th Gen. 6-core or higher processors.

....does it mean I can plugin a maximum of 32 GB for one slot = 2x32 GB bars = 64 GB?Or do they mean a maximum of 32 GB = 2x16 GB?But why they wrote just something about dual channel memory and nothing about single channel memory!?

PS: Not sure yet which another DIMM I will pick (8 or 16 GB).Just wanna know first whether I could choose any of them with or without "single rank" info you know.

greetz

deepzero

there is only single ranke or dual rank, nothing else. if they dont specifiy "dual rank" explicitly, it's single rank.

i just found it: https://www.crucial.de/memory/eol_ddr4/ct8g4dfs8266

CT8G4DFS8266 is no longer available, but has been replaced with CT8G4DFRA266.

So this is the difference between the two IDs you posted, one is just newer manufacturing.

Or do they mean a maximum of 32 GB = 2x16 GB?

Total limit for both slots all in all is 32, so 2x16, yes.

But why they wrote just something about dual channel memory and nothing about single channel memory!?

Singel channel is always supported, and double channel bars can run as single channel.

• Like 1
LCF-AT

Hi again deep,

ah ok.Thanks again for that info about ID numbers = just newer model.Sounds good, so then I can choose any with (single rank) or without (single rank) in description.

What!Total limit of memory is just 32 GB!Uhmm.That sounds not good.Why has this MB such a tiny ram limit?Before I thought I could plugin till 512 GB +/- or so you know just theoretically.

greetz

Progman

It usually means 32gbx2=64gb but that description did not specify it clearly.  I had 4gbx2=8gb RAM for a long time until I recently upgraded to a new laptop.  Even python research scripts which were not careful could blow the RAM leading to an unstable system.  Now it is 8gbx2=16gb and its plenty so far.  Unless you have special usage for applications or research which require so much RAM.

Probably you buy the 8gb RAM for second channel with compatible timing and non/single ranked, you will be well off.  Otherwise you could buy a 32gb or 16gb stick if you can financially justify it.  The first 8gb of it should still run in dual channel mode with your current stick.

• Like 1