Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
LCF-AT

Installing Win 7 problem

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

small question about Win 10 again.Just wanna know whether its doable to create a bootable USB stick with rufus including more than one iso image?I would like to try the 64 bit version and see I have / had to download this image too.Now I have both iso images 32 bit & 64 bit and wanna put them onto one USB stick so that I can select the image to install on booting from USB stick etc.Is that possible anyhow or should I use one image only for one USB stick?Just asking because I have only one 32 GB stick and some 4 GB sticks which are to small for 64 bit version.

greetz

Teddy Rogers

I don't think you will be able to dual boot 32/64 from a 32GB thumb drive as the minimum requirement for a Windows 10 install is 32GB.

Running a Windows 10 install from a slow thumb drive and/or USB 2.0 will be painful. Do you have another hard drive you could dual boot with?

image.png.4144ea7ed553b5aceea0c89f4fd25b61.png

Ted.

• Like 1

NOP
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Teddy Rogers said:

I don't think you will be able to dual boot 32/64 from a 32GB thumb drive as the minimum requirement for a Windows 10 install is 32GB.

Running a Windows 10 install from a slow thumb drive and/or USB 2.0 will be painful. Do you have another hard drive you could dual boot with?

I think LCF wants a dual boot install option, ie: 2 iso images on same stick with option to install either, much like the many OEM deployment installs, NOT a USB live with 2 installed OS

Edited by NOP (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Teddy Rogers

@NOP you are correct, my bad, I misread.

It may be possible, though never attempted it, if the USB thumb drive is partitioned in to two 16GB volumes?

Ted.

• Like 2

NOP

It's def possible, there are many CD / DVD versions of bootable media with many versions of Windows. I'm sure from USB will be similar

A quick search brought up these guides on how to do it...

https://www.howtogeek.com/262944/how-to-create-a-master-installation-flash-drive-with-multiple-versions-of-windows/
https://smyl.es/tutorial-how-to-build-the-ultimate-custom-usb-drive-with-multiple-bootable-installs-for-windows-and-linux-and-portableapps-for-windows/

:D

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

yes I just wanted to install few OS images on USB only. :) Thanks for this new tool info and tut how to use it.I will check this out.

Did anyone of you who is using Windows 10 32 bit (main or in VM) about this exception problem I did post before?Can anyone test this quickly to check out whether you got the same problem or not?Maybe you can check this out please becuase I dont think that this is normal.Also didnt found out the reason for this.I also didnt set a restore point which I could choose to restore system. :( Next time I should set a restore point directly after installing the OS.Maybe I will try to reset Win 10 anyhow and check out whether the problem with the exception still happens or not.

greetz

NOP

I only use x64 now so cannot test for you sorry

23 minutes ago, LCF-AT said:

Maybe I will try to reset Win 10 anyhow and check out whether the problem with the exception still happens or not.

That's probably a good idea, I would install x64 and see how you get on

:)

• Like 1

Teddy Rogers
12 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

Did anyone of you who is using Windows 10 32 bit (main or in VM) about this exception problem I did post before?

Have you disabled any UWP services, Windows core processes and/or used something like ShutUp10 to change privacy controls?

There could be a few reasons for the exception, possibly calls to UWP are not being correctly sent or terminated early.

Ted.

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

so I did used this O&O tool to disable services but I did set a restore point and also restore the changes back but without success and the exceptions still happens.Somehow I got this problem one day earlier before I used O&O tool.Just remember I did changed some reg entrys about telemtry stuff I found on some youtube videos.I dont know what the reason for this exception is.

Now I did reset the OS (has taken a longer time) and after this the exceptions are gone.Not happens anymore at the moment.I also used O&O tool again just enabled the green marked basic stuff I can disable without problems = all working so far.Maybe I should better log everything I do change or better keep my hands away from registry to change some system stuff so I dont wanna get this exception problems again.Otherwise maybe any installed app from me made this problem.Just installed my Firewall & older mbam & classic Shell.But also when I did run Win 10 without those apps / services I still got that problems.Hhmm.

I have some questions about the Windows firewall.Its somehow bad to use it or control apps and incomming / outgoing stuff.Also I dont find any feature / quick access to disable whole internet at once.Also dont wanna disconnect my Network each time for this.Do you guys using any other firewalls or just this Windows FW?

PS: This exception problem I told before did happen the whole time also right after restart and checking this out as first step.

greetz

Teddy Rogers

If you are creating a bearish Windows 10 environment take a look at LTSC 2019. Most of the features you are likely trying to disable will have already been disabled or removed in LTSC. Being an Enterprise build you will have more control over the OS than the Home edition. You can focus on strengthening your privacy controls and less on disabling/disrupting services, core processes, etc...

Ted.

• Like 2

NOP
10 hours ago, LCF-AT said:

Do you guys using any other firewalls or just this Windows FW?

I use Zonealarm, you can stop all internet activity at the click of a button

I have tried a lot of FW over the years but I prefer the app control of ZA

:)

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

so I got a new problem now.I made a new USB stick with Win 10 64 bit image (same way I did before to create Win 10 32 bit on USB using rufus).Now I did start the USB and on installing I couldnt choose my HDD because of GPT / EFI / MBR bla bla etc.What is this for a new bullshit?Seems I need to delete / format my HDD new!What a stupid dirt!I found this video on YT what I have to do (I think) in my case now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D8G--vkuFI

....uhhmm!!!!So what now?

1.) save my apps / datas anywhere else.

2.) Start USB

3.) Doing those steps in the video

So what is if I cant make a backup of my files on C: or access my OS anymore and need to install new?Then my datas are lost because I need to re-format / GPT trash before I can install fresh?What kind of idiots having such stupid ideas?

greetz

NOP
Posted (edited)

You haven't backed anything up before doing any of this? ( You are braver than me 😨 )

i cant understand German in the video to see what your problem is, but if there is no solution for install and you have a desktop PC and another hard drive you could install win10 on other HD and use your current HD as a slave to copy data across to recover your files

EDIT: It seems you can use mbr2gpt.exe /allowFullOS from command prompt to convert MBR to GPT without losing data if that is your problem?

Edited by NOP (see edit history)
  • Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi,

ok listen.So is it possible to part my HDD into 2 parts using Windows 10 to split my OS HDD into 2.

1.) OS HDD = 200 GB <--- is that enough?Think so or?

2.) Rest GBs goes to second HDD split

Now I have system HDD & Some Store HDD partions.

I found some tuts here with pics...

http://techmixx.de/windows-10-festplatte-partitionieren-schritt-fuer-schritt/

or video...

https://youtu.be/YR06XmfwyO0

...showing what to do.I think in this case my datas keep on HDD so far.After this I could copy some datas from system HDD into 2 partition.Now when I do start my USB stick to install Windows then it should popup the same GPT message problem as before and then I could do the steps in the video in my pre post to clean this partition.But I am not sure about this.Maybe if I do this clean steps (enter dos commands / diskpart / select disk / clean / convert gpt etc) then it does maybe delete my new 2. HDD I did created on Win 10 or?Or gets only the first partition of HDD changed and the 2. HDD partition keeps untouched?Just wanna be sure before I try here something.So can I do this so or are then all partitons gone after?

PS: Found  another video with same problem.Here it does create the OS image on USB with rufus using Fat32 instead of NTFS.

https://youtu.be/WKf23oJyGww

Before I used the older version of rufus to create a USB with Win 10 32 bit but there I also used this GPT & NTFS settings and this was working.My HDD is not in GPT format so installing first time was also possible so why not now anymore?This really sucks!Trash all over the place and as normal user you can really get sick with all those tons of limitations here and there to force us to eat menus we dont wanna eat.

Anyway, so new helpfully simple hints are welcome how to do it right now to install new.Thank you.

greetz

Orthodox

@LCF-AT

Yes, you can do it.

Use EaseUS Partition Master

Orthodox

• Like 1

Progman

Using grub4dos you can create an MBR USB drive with as many ISOs on it as will fit so long as they are not fragmented (contiguous).

However for UEFI, you can only have one ISO loaded at a time.  However there are tools which use MBR mode to select the ISO, and then when booted in UEFI mode will boot the selected ISO.  Its a bit complicated and it can be done with easy2boot.  However if you want to change which ISO is booted, you will have to use a hotkey at start up to select the start up mode, or go into BIOS to change the MBR/UEFI start up.  Its all a bit annoying and complicated but its the most versatile way in modern times to create a very useful USB toolkit.

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

sorry I just understand nothing.

Let me explain again in my words.The first time I created USB stick with Win 10 32 bit image on laptop with the last rufus version which is working for XP.I used the setting NOP told beofre, choosing GPT & UEFI & NTFS.After this the USB stick was ready.I did plugin the stick on my PC and set bootmenu to start first from USB or just choosed USB to load / boot this.Windows installer started and I got the window where I could choose my HDD (at this HDD was empty).I did select this one and pressed next and installing started.

Now I did almost same.This time I used latest rufus version choosed again GPT / UEFI / NTFS and created the USB stick with Win 10 64 bit image.At the end of this I got a message from rufus not to forget to disable secure boot in BIOS and to turn it on again after.This message I didnt got first time using older rufus.I just keep BIOS untouched.In my BIOS I can see that secure boot is enabled but I cant disable it.Anyway, first time it was also enabled and installing worked.

Now I have this GPT HDD problem and can not start installing.This point I dont check so why is this not working when it was working the first time so there was my HDD also in MBR mode and not GPT.You know what I mean?Why wants it GPT now?

Example: Lets say I have some kind of worse case what means I cant start my PC anymore to load the OS = I only can do a re-installing of the OS.Ok so far.But now I get this GPT problem and cant start installing.How to manage this situation without to format or convert HDD to GPT without loosing datas / partions etc?Just wanna make my HDD so that I can also re-install anytime I want over my old installation without to do some convert / format stuff as it was possible years ago too you know.So I dont  wanna do any backup before I re-install.On internet I found just infos to delete all partions and convert to GPT.Where is the sense?Lets say I have 2 partions made on one single HDD.First partion I use for OS stuff the 2. partion for datas I wanna keep.Now if I wanna do a re-installing then I have to delete / format all of them just to make a install.What a stupid thing is that?Does it mean I need these days minimum 2 HDDs, one for system one for backup?Uhhmm!

Ok guys, maybe I am too stupid for this newer moddern UEFI / GPT whatever stuff.So I need some advice / step list what I can do now to install Windows again without any issues.

Lets say I do those steps in CMD during installing process and change my HDD to GPT = HDD is deleted / fresh now.Now I do install the OS.When I now go into HDD manager then it should show me that my HDD used GPT instead of MBR.Now I wanna create another partition = I have 2 now.One for system stuff one for backup / store stuff.The new 2. partition is then also in GPT right?Ok.Lets say now I have a worse case again and need to re-install Windows.Now it should work to install it over the old Windows installation right?So at the end I just wanna know what I have to do to split my HDD into 2 partitions and to keep the partitions for ever what means I dont wanna delete the partions.

Partition 1 = OS system stuff.Partition 2 = Backup stuff which should keep always.You know what I mean right?I dont wanna get any error message later on installing in few months or years about "Your HDD used GPT style and installing only possible in MBR so please delete all stuff!?" you know.Just wanna be sure now whether is possible using just one HDD with 2 partions for ever (specially partition 2 with my  backup stuff).

greetz

Progman

I think this is a Microsoft design decision to try to force people to migrate (GPT allows more than 4 logical partitions unlike MBR and is considered superior for this reason despite it not always being necessary - but with a boot partition, EFI partition, Windows partition, OEM recovery partition and then another OS partition you are already at 5).  Though technically UEFI must support MBR booting to be standards compliant as far as I have found:

"Windows can only boot from GPT on UEFI-based computers running 64-bit versions of Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and corresponding server versions."

So as a cost of going to 64-bit you will have to use an MBR -> GPT utility before installing.  I think it can be done without copying or losing data as its mostly changing some partition sectors at the top of the disk.  EaseUS Partition Manager I think can do it as someone mentioned above.  Update: https://www.easeus.com/ppc/partition-manager/convert-disk-partition.html 

MBR and GPT Disk Conversion

Mutually convert disks between MBR and GPT in a simple way without deleting the partition

Also Windows 10 even has a utility in the system32 directory called mbr2gpt.exe which I think does not cause data loss either.  Obviously Microsoft does not offer the other direction like EaseUS because they are pushing people towards GPT.  For your question about keeping only 2 partitions, this is not possible as Windows will make an EFI partition and a dummy space partition.  But these are relatively small and do not effect your 2 primary partitions.  Sometimes even a recovery partition appears.  Many OEMs also put factory reset recovery partitions.

If you are not very careful and do not have some very good tools on USB keys for manual low level system recovery, its always a good idea to back up first though.  But you can go GPT -> MBR and MBR -> GPT without data loss quite easily.  Whether the system boots properly after is another story.  But if you are totally ready do the conversion and after just install Windows 10 64-bit off the USB its probably enough and don't need to worry about the intermediate boot state.

It also helps to be an expert at Windows 10 recovery command prompt - you can run regedit from there and mount the SYSTEM hive in c:\windows\system32\config and make changes that can make a broken system working in a whole slew of driver or drive letter type related issues.  I have recovered countless times in this painstaking way when doing complicated migrations.  Also, should master and understand bcdedit, among other things like how the boot process order goes and such.  diskpart is always pretty useful in some situations.  bcdboot and bootsect also come in handy at other times.

Edited by Progman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

thanks for the infos.I also found by random a info about the WIndows OS systems which can only be installed with GPT (just some x64 versions).So this means now I can install Win x64 version only on GPT disks and Win x32 in MBR (like I have at the moment) or in both?

Example: Now I have MBR with Win 10 32bit running.Now I wanna install the x64 version and need to convert to GPT before I can do this.So what is if I dont like the x64 version and wanna switch back to 32 bit version.Do I get then a message that I need to convert my HDD from GPT to MBR before I can install it?Somehow its really confusing.So in all those difficult possible situations it would be better just using any smaller single HDD for the OS / installing alone without to store datas on it I want to keep.Hhmm.I think I had better buy any small SSD disk for this.But who the heck should know all those Windows issues before you know.

greetz

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

short new question about those SSD disks.I checked my mainboard manual about that and found some infos.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_H310M-E_R20/E15462_PRIME_H310M-E_R2.0_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

M.2 socket 3
This socket allows you to install M.2 (NGFF) SSD modules.

•    This M.2 socket supports M Key and 2242/2260/2280 storage devices. 
•    When a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.2 socket, the SATA_2 port cannot be used.
•    Due to the Chipset limitation, when an M.2 device is installed in PCIe mode, the socket is set to PCIe 2.0. 

Now on internet I found some infos about SATA & PCIe SSD disks which looks diffrent.

2419929-a.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

...or PCIe

Goldenfir-M-2-SSD-pcie-Hard-Disk-NVMe-M-

....and if I check my mainboard manual right then I can use both versions right?

Now I have some questions.

1.) The manual says "when a device in SATA mode is installed on the M.2 socket, the SATA_2 port cannot be used".What does that mean?Does it mean one of my 4 SATA ports I do connect HDD / DVD onto gets disabled?Then I can only use 3 ports only after?Otherwise the manual says "Due to the Chipset limitation, when an M.2 device is installed in PCIe mode, the socket is set to PCIe 2.0" so what does this means?

2.) What to choose?SATA or PCIe type?Just see that PCIe type is much faster than SATA type but its also cheaper.I think SATA type would be ok for me.I found some SSDs SATA for 20 - 30 Euro with 120 GB - 256 GB.

3.) Which manufactor should I use?Just asking about that because I found many bad feedbacks about buyers on Amazon.Are those SSD disks not so good or long living than a normal HDD?

As I said I am just again a little un-sure what to choose to prevent some fail you know and some hints / advices are welcome of course.Thank you.

greetz

Orthodox

@LCF-AT

Get a regular SATA SSD. They come in 2.5" (Laptop size hard drive) so you'll need just extra tray to convert it to 3.5" (desktop size hard drive)

Orthodox

Edited by Orthodox (see edit history)
  • Like 1

nonspin

The SATA6G_2 Port is not disabled - it's running in "Shared Mode".
About the pictures you've posted .. the second one is a NVMe which your board doesn't support.
I bought a NVMe (Samsung EVO 970) for my ROG Maximus XI Hero (Z390)

Speedwise (price/performance) i recommend PATRIOT - stay away from the very cheap stuff

The difference between NVMe and SSD .. check the screens

// If you're still having issues with booting and whatnot .. i can probably help you 'auf deutsch'

Samsung SSD 970  1.11.2020 11-43-40 PM.png

Patriot Blast 1.11.2020 11-48-12 PM.png

Edited by nonspin
because i can (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Progman

You can use GPT with x64 and 32-bit Windows versions.  But MBR only with 32-bit.  So if you change your mind, you do not need to revert GPT back to MBR and can keep it.  I have not seen any major downside at all with GPT.  It should be just fine as a permanent conversion beyond needing to run extremely old OS and the like.  Of course GPT -> MBR is always possible with special tools if you really need it.

For ideal performance you would get an M2 SSD like a Samsung EVO 2GB and be done with it.  Of course this is very much the most expensive but also most fast option.  Alternatively, you could opt for a small M2 SSD for the OS and apps, and put your data on a slower PCI SATA drive which is what I do.  256GB has been enough for my SSD at the moment.  Of course you need to make sure that the form factor is properly matching before ordering.  You can probably get a less mainstream brand one for quite cheap as you mentioned.  Otherwise you can just use the PCI SATA drive for everything though the speed increase from using SSD is worth it IMO in the price vs performance tradeoff right now.  In fact for modern OS and heavy use its basically a must.

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

thanks again for the new infos.Anyhow I am still confused by your infos whether I can use both card versions SSD / PCIe types or not.Just wanna choose the right type I can plugin later on the mainboard which also works then.

Ok the NVMe = PCIe = picture 2 with only one missing pin part.Picture 1 = SATA with 2 missing pin parts = This I can only use?

So on the BIOS I think I found some menu to set something to AUTO / SATA / PCIe.Could be that this was something for this M.2 slot.This is just the bus / protocol type yes = Has nothing to do with the card itself?

@nonspin

I tryied to look for some PATRIOT SSD but in the description I found also something with "m.2 PCIe gen 3 x 2, nvme 1,2".Its wrong right?Otherwise I dont find any SATA type from that company.So maybe if you dont mind you could post some example offers of any cards from Amazon etc which I could use for my mainboard just to be sure now.

@Progman

Good ok, so I can use GPT for all.So if I should fail with that SSD M.2 stuff then I will delete / use my older smallest HDD to put the GPT type on it and installing the 64 bit OS but I think I would like to prefer using such tiny SSD card but I am completely confused with all those descriptions and which one I can use or not.This really sucks you know.

PS: I have one another addon question about Windows 10 which is important.I have some trouble with those system restore points I did set or which was set by OS.So they all disapear after a short while anyhow.On internet I found many stuff who do report the same trouble on Win 10 but I found no solution how to fix that.I did set a new restore point yesterday and its still there but I think it will also disapear soon.Somehow I wanna find a solution for this problem before I install the 64 bit OS later.Yes I have enabled restore on my system drive = activated and I gave over 30 GB space for this (not sure how much space it needs).Any hints about that would be fine to fix that problem too to keep my restore points for a longer time (like 90 days rule of MS said).Thank you.

greetz