Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
blank

Finding a backup email

blank

Hi, I am stuck trying to recover a microsoft account, and I thought someone might have been through this situation and could give some advice. I know the email, but not the password. I checked the recovery tool, and these are my options:

image.png.d2b3bf38d6396524be82a4bc4b6e0e9b.png

The phone text and call options are out, as I tried them and I don't receive any code. I guess I misspelled my number when I made the account.

Now, the email one is tricky. That's a very old email of mine, and most likely it has been deleted. I kinda remember the account, but I will need more details about it in order to create a new one with the same address. As you can see in the picture, all they give me is the provider (outlook.com) and the first 2 letters (te). The length is wrong, and I have no other clue. What I would need is a way to get the full backup address, or at least the length would be helpful. Also, the last characters would be a lifesaver, as the middle I can somewhat remember.

Of course, I know you don't have access to MS databases, and I don't expect anyone to miraculously solve my problem. All I can hope for is to find some trick to get more info about that backup address. If you have any idea or have been in this situation before, please share your thoughts. I really need access to this account. Thanks in advance!

身勝手のごくい

Hi,

the support team might be able to help you only if:
you have the same phone number all these years, you can request from your provider a verification that you own the number all these years and you prove the registered number is misspelled.
a big ammount of message contents you had in your inbox, like registered account to xx yy.
messenger contacts, you probably used msn since its old email.

I've had a similiar case years ago but the restoration email was registered to a number i had bills i did own and expired while in military service.
Althought this might be useless for you if you dont want to provide them information about your id and residence.

Regards

kao

Perhaps try going via https://account.live.com/acsr ? There I have an option "where should we contact you?" that lets me choose another email account for contact info.

blank
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 身勝手のごくい said:

Hi,

the support team might be able to help you only if:
you have the same phone number all these years, you can request from your provider a verification that you own the number all these years and you prove the registered number is misspelled.
a big ammount of message contents you had in your inbox, like registered account to xx yy.
messenger contacts, you probably used msn since its old email.

I've had a similiar case years ago but the restoration email was registered to a number i had bills i did own and expired while in military service.
Althought this might be useless for you if you dont want to provide them information about your id and residence.

Regards

Thanks for the reply. I would actually be willing to provide my ID and location, the problem is that they don't accept it... 😕 I contacted them, they said the only two ways to recover an account would be password reset through email or phone, or filling the form @kao mentioned. as I said, I completely lost and forgot the email, but to be fair, I am kind of frustrated they don't want to tell me more info about that address. They could at least give me the length. About the phone number, I do still have it, I've never changed my number. I told them the number seems to be right, it does indeed end in 56. As far as I am concerned, their system might be buggy, because, although I told them my full number, and they could have checked to make sure it is my number, they refused to tell me the number registered in the account, or to confirm if it is misspelled or not.

40 minutes ago, kao said:

Perhaps try going via https://account.live.com/acsr ? There I have an option "where should we contact you?" that lets me choose another email account for contact info.

Yeah, I tried the form too. The problem is, it asks for old passwords,subjects and addresses of emails sent, or skype contacts. Now I am pretty sure I never changed the password on this one, so if I knew a password I wouldn't have needed to reset it. Also, I didn't use the account for sending emails. And even if they accepted received emails instead of sent, who would remember the exact subject of emails from 5 years ago?! Lastly, I didn't use the account for skype either, so I don't have any contacts. That form is just as useless as the password reset tool.

Thanks again for the replies, I really appreciate them. If anyone knows any way to get the last characters of that recovery email, or it's length, that would really save me. I expect it to be impossible, but well, what can I say, I'm still hoping. 😐

Edited by blank (see edit history)

blank

I even checked https://haveibeenpwned.com/. I never thought I would hope so badly that someone had cracked my email. 😂 And I never thought I would be so sad to see the negative result on that site. What an irony. 😂

whoknows

@blank 

I was @ the same ship, MS my ass, I lost it all. Just ban them....

blank

Well, I've figured it out. After hours of concentration, I finally remembered that "te****" email address. It was more of a guess, but fortunately, Microsoft hasn't deleted it. I managed to use the Password Reset link (which is quite bot-friendly, I must say 🙂) to check different combinations until I found one that existed (it took literally hundreds of tries). After that, I used my phone to get access to this "te.." email (entered the right phone this time), and used it to get access to the main one.

What did I learn from this painful experience? Well, apart from the fact that recovery contact info is actually a thing, and should be given proper attention, I learned that the password reset page at microsoft can be exploited to check if certain accounts exist or not. I tried a few hundred addresses, at an interval of 1.5 seconds each, and the page worked flawlessly and yielded the simple error message every time the address was wrong. It's not a big thing, but might be useful sometime. 

blank

@whoknows Hi, thank you for your reply, and sorry to hear about your problem. Well, my workaround was to use the password reset page until I found the recovery email. Maybe it could work for you? I don't really have any other ideas, and my brain refuses to think about any more emails right now. 🙂

whoknows

I will tell you the trick, if u remember a previous password, you can use it multiple times (yes just the same password, because asking for multiple previous passwords), to verify your account, this is what I have done!!!!

blank
16 minutes ago, whoknows said:

I will tell you the trick, if u remember a previous password, you can use it multiple times (yes just the same password, because asking for multiple previous passwords), to verify your account, this is what I have done!!!!

So you mean remembering just one password, and filling it multiple times in that recovery form? well, I can see how that would be useful, but I remembered no password, so it wouldn't have done much for me.

whoknows

check PM, contact them.