Tuts 4 You
Teddy Rogers

Feedback and Ideas

Progman

@Teddy Rogers - okay that sounds fine and reasonable.  I agree there can't be anymore of this he says she says wars of words going on.  But I do not have access to the PM feature anymore.  When post moderation was turned on, for whatever reason I lost access.  But you can check I have never abused the PM feature and hardly used it and now when it would be useful given this moderation - its disappeared altogether.  Kindly let me know if that right can be restored.

Teddy Rogers

Should be fixed now. Apologies for that, it was not intended to happen...

Ted.

• Thanks 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

ah ok now I see that search options. :) Sorry,my faul.Just wonder why I didnt seen that before.Thank you NOP for the info.About post markings,no I dont wanna use or set browser bookmarks.I would like to have something what keeps here only and without to use any extern handling etc you know.Maybe you can implement such post markings (similar like the like button / as I told before / mark | unmark) and maybe its also possible to set a colored frame around the posts the user did mark for himself to see it quickly if the user X does trace around any topics etc you know.Just only a idea.

greetz

Teddy Rogers

Could you make use of Managed Followed Content as a substitute for bookmarking?

Ted.

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

not sure about that so its not same like making some kind of single reply bookmarks you know.In the profile page for example I can choose "see reputation activity" and get a list of all who pressed a like button etc and something like that I would like to have for single replys I do mark for myself (as I told before already).Maybe its possible to add another button into the like button list..."Thanks,Haha,Confused,Sad,Like,......--> Mark <--"....you know.Just my idea so far.Not sure whether you can do that or whether its possible to make that on this forum but you know what I mean right.I think its a good idea.

About MFC.So in this case I only can follow a topic.If the topic has many sites and tons of replys then I also can not find quickly what I am looking for you know.Its not same like the idea about marking / bookmark single replys.

greetz

• Like 1

Teddy Rogers

@LCF-AT I think the closest thing to what you are after is going to be the followed content option for the time being...

Ted.

root

I wanted to suggest a section on the new ghadra decompiler (I'm doing the first tests and the results are excellent). a section for tutorials, modified versions, scripts etc ..😀

Teddy Rogers

I will wait to see what becomes of Ghidra once the surge of excitement and newness of having an NSA tool at hand all settles down. Most probably it will maintain its own site and community, likely centred around GitHub repository...

Ted.

RiRye

Any chance we can get a full sitedump / archive going?

Last file dump was from 2011 and a full forum backup would be cool.

XenocodeRCE

Say "A" post a crackme thread

Say "B" reply to that thread with minimal to no information / tutorial

B's reply will only be unlocked /un-hidden once someone reply to the thread.

My point is : it makes B's reply useless. What's the point of unhidding non-informative replies if the thread has one answer-dedicated reply ? 
My proposition is : make B's reply not hidden, and let the owner of the thread decide which reply is the best. Maybe make non-tutorial reply not votable for the "best answer of this thread". 

Teddy Rogers
23 minutes ago, XenocodeRCE said:

My proposition is : make B's reply not hidden, and let the owner of the thread decide which reply is the best. Maybe make non-tutorial reply not votable for the "best answer of this thread". 

If I understood you correctly this is similar to how it was prior to the change. Many members complained replies to challenges were all becoming an uploaded unpacked file or completed crackme, with no information on how it was achieved stating "unpacked", "done!", etc. This system only fueled the glory seekers. A suggestion was to deter this from happening to encourage the sharing of information on how these are solved. Unfortunately there is no automated system that can determine a genuine reply to one that is a completed solution with no information. All these need to be manually reviewed and approved. Regarding those replies that are hidden, this is a compromise to the glory seekers. To be clear, any replies that are discussing the challenge and not containing the solution are all approved.

It is not a perfect system for managing these forums, I am fully aware of this. It is a compromise between the wishes of other members, capabilities of the forums software and the moderating team. If it was not for the time waiting for review and approval and the lack of understanding why posted solutions have been hidden none of this would be up for discussion...

Ted.

• Like 1

XenocodeRCE
On 5/24/2019 at 11:02 PM, Teddy Rogers said:

If I understood you correctly this is similar to how it was prior to the change. Many members complained replies to challenges were all becoming an uploaded unpacked file or completed crackme, with no information on how it was achieved stating "unpacked", "done!", etc. This system only fueled the glory seekers. A suggestion was to deter this from happening to encourage the sharing of information on how these are solved. Unfortunately there is no automated system that can determine a genuine reply to one that is a completed solution with no information. All these need to be manually reviewed and approved. Regarding those replies that are hidden, this is a compromise to the glory seekers. To be clear, any replies that are discussing the challenge and not containing the solution are all approved.

It is not a perfect system for managing these forums, I am fully aware of this. It is a compromise between the wishes of other members, capabilities of the forums software and the moderating team. If it was not for the time waiting for review and approval and the lack of understanding why posted solutions have been hidden none of this would be up for discussion...

Ted.

I think there exists something between "just throw off your unpacked exe" and "write a god damn paper for every confuserex unpackme mod" you see ? 

For me you are slowly killing your board activities by doing that. The less we see our replies, the less we want to engage into this forum, but that's to be expected no ? 

By bluring / making these non-informative reply appears grayed it convey a good message to the poster : his reply is ok but not worth being reviewed as an answer. 

blank
On 1/19/2019 at 6:40 AM, Teddy Rogers said:

there will be no easy way to distinguish whether a reply awaiting to be moderated is a general reply post or an answer awaiting review and moderation.

Wouldn't it be possible to add a button or a checkbox when posting a reply, saying something like "Are you posting an answer, or a general comment?" And then if the reply is an answer, you can moderate it to make sure it is complete. If it's just a general reply or asking for details, allow the system to post it, and review it later. I don't think people would abuse the system just to get their incomplete answers public for a few minutes/hours.

• Like 1

kao
4 hours ago, XenocodeRCE said:

"write a god damn paper for every confuserex unpackme mod"

We all know you have the skills to unpack vanilla version and most of the mods out there. You don't need to post 20 unpacked EXEs to show that - that's not the point of unpackmes. The point is to produce something that others can use as a starting point in their learning path.

Also, saying "I used my private unpacker that I'm not gonna share" is equally not helpful for learning.

So, perhaps you could start off by writing ONE paper about unpacking modified confuserex?

• Like 2

Teddy Rogers
19 hours ago, XenocodeRCE said:

I think there exists something between "just throw off your unpacked exe" and "write a god damn paper for every confuserex unpackme mod" you see ?

The posts being hidden are the ones only with the solution. As others members here have pointed out - which I agree with - they only show xyz member is uber. These don't benefit anyone else and no one learns from them. All other posts are approved to be viewed and discussed with other members. The only issue here is the delay in the review and approval process.

No one has asked or is saying you need to write a 3000 word essay about how you unpacked each variant of ConfuserEx. We have been very liberal about some of the solutions being given best answer with a small write up - at times a few key dot points is all it needs...

Ted.

Teddy Rogers
17 hours ago, blank said:

Wouldn't it be possible to add a button or a checkbox when posting a reply, saying something like "Are you posting an answer, or a general comment?" And then if the reply is an answer, you can moderate it to make sure it is complete. If it's just a general reply or asking for details, allow the system to post it, and review it later. I don't think people would abuse the system just to get their incomplete answers public for a few minutes/hours.

Good suggestion, I will have a think over this and how it could be implemented...

Ted.

• Like 1