Tuts 4 You
LCF-AT

Windows 7 Update issues

Rate this topic

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

so I checked my update list of Win 7 and found not less update infos they failed to install.Update function does work so far but some are done and some not.Now I thought anything is wrong that they failed etc and tried now to download some of the failed updates manually (msu files).I tried to install them but I a got a message that the update I try to install is not suitable for my system (yes I did choose the right one for Win 7 x86).So the question I have now why the update function does show me the updates (to choose it or they are choosed) I can install IF they are not suitable for my system?So whats right or wrong now?Is there not happens any system check before showing me the updates I can / have to install?Some of the failed installed updates are also marked as important so that the reason I do wonder you know.Do you have hints for me how to handle that issue now?

On the internet I found also some infos to delete the update infos from the SoftwareDistribution folder (delete entire folder) / restart and update again.So I am not whether its a good idea to try this so maybe at the end I got same results as I have now already you know.

Just wanna know whether its ok if I got some failed updates in my list or not.So a manually update did fail too as I told above where I do think that the update xy is really not suitable for my system because of any "whatever" reason but I am of course now sure about that.

Some hints infos from are welcome of course just to be sure whether I need to worry or not.Maybe some of you have also failed updates in your list etc.

Thank you

Techlord

@LCF-AT : Some of the updates have to be installed first and then others installed only after a restart. If you do not follow the right order, or allow the automated updater to run, it sometimes messes up. Maybe you can give us screenshots of the exact errors you are getting so that we can advise further ?

Just wanted to confirm that I do run into issues like that when I attempt to install Win 7 and update it (on VMs for various purposes).

In the end , what I did was to SLIPSTREAM all of the updates in to the Win 7 Installer itself and then install from that ISO. Please let us know if you need details of the slipstreaming - but since in your case the OS is already installed, I suggest that the better alternative would be post the exact error messages that you got.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi Techlord,

thanks for your answer so far.Hhhmmm,this sounds ultra bad now!So I cant remove all updates now just because any xy update did fail and just to install this xy update right at the place where it belongs between D & F maybe.Sounds not good to remove all later updates from F - now just to get the update E installed right.This is really not good.On the other hand I ask me why MS didnt try to re-install the updates again etc you know.Also there is no function to repeat any failed updates or anything else what could help.Ok,seems to be really a totally punsh into toilet water. :) So can you tell me what I should do now just to get the missing updates installed.Lets say I do delete this SoftwareDistribution folder but then the updates are still installed and I cant imagine that this would help.Also I dont wanna install all updates again and waste a day for this.Men men men men men you!Whats this again for a MF*ing MSoft BTrash!And why is there no quicky fix to get what does all by itself to fix this house made MS problems with the update trash?Uhhhhhmmmm Huh Hah - Upper Foot!

Ok I made a picture of all failed update KBs.All below are ok.So just check out the failed updates from 15 Juli so there are a LOT (most of optional updates) and only 2 recommended updates they also failed.So does it mean now I just should download the 2 recommneded updates manually and should then try to install them and one of them should work and one not if its really only working update by update?Ok I have test it but its also not working.I cant install the update KB2998812 and the other update KB3015428 are not listet in the MSDN catalog (Strange) but the link to description is there.GREAT!What now?This really sucks!

PS: Yes I have disabled the update service and just update manually from time to time but this shouldnt be the problem.I dont allow MS to surf on the internet without my persmission! :)

Ok thanks again and if you got any more simple hints for me how to get the messed up-dates installed / sortet as it should be then tell me.But please no infos like "I am sorry but you HAVE TO REINSTALL YOUR SYSTEM NOW or better YESTERDAY" etc you know. :) That would be nice of course.

Here the pic.Just show the failed updates and some successfully updates at the end they you cant see all on this pic.

Updates.png

greetz

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

ok I did forgot to check the error codes.So there are some diffrent.....5 I get on diffrent updates detail infos.

Fehlerdetails: Code 80242016
Fehlerdetails: Code 8007000E
Fehlerdetails: Code 8024200D
Fehlerdetails: Code 80070308
Fehlerdetails: Code 80070020

greetz

Techlord

Let me give you the official solution that worked for a majority of users including me :

A . Try to do all these steps in sequence

1. To install the “Convenience Rollup,” you will need to install a prerequisite patch first. Download and install the prerequisite KB3020369, known as the “April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7.” (alternate link to KB3020369 files)

2. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

3. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3125574 known as the “Convenience Rollup.”

• Option 1: Direct download links
    • Option 2: Using the Microsoft Update Catalog (try a different browser if you encounter problems.)
  4. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

5. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3138612 known as “Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: March 2016.” (alternate link to KB3138612 files)

6. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

7. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3145739 known as “Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-039 — Security Update for Microsoft Graphics component (3148522).” (alternate link to KB3145739 files)

8. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

9. Download and install the appropriate version of KB3172605 known as the “July 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.” (alternate link to KB3172605 files)

10. Restart the PC, even if not prompted to do so.

11. (Optional) Windows Update should be working at this point, but it is recommended to install the additional update rollups below. Remember to restart your computer after installing each one even if not prompted to do so.

• KB3179573 — “August 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1” (alternate link to KB3179573 files)
    • KB3185278 — “September 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1” (alternate link to KB3185278 files)
    • KB3185330 — “October 2016 security monthly quality rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1” (alternate link to KB3185330 files)
    • KB3197868 — “November 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1” (alternate link to KB3197868 files)

12. Go to “Start” > “Windows Update” > “Change settings” > and set either “Use recommended settings” or “Install important updates only” in the Update settings window.

At this point you should be able to run Windows Update normally. However, it has been observed that sometimes Windows Update will still offer Service Pack 1 (SP1) as an update even if you are already using Service Pack 1. If you see this in the list of offered updates, deselect the update, then right-click the update and choose the “hide” option.

What to Do If There Are Problems

While the steps above will get Windows 7 up-to-date for most users, there are still problems that can arise. For example, if you tried to run Windows Update before applying the Convenience Rollup, the older version of Windows Update Agent may have caused additional problems with the update process that would need to be resolved. In some cases, this will mean doing a thorough reset of Windows Update.

1. Close the Windows Update window.

2. Stop the Windows Update Service.

1. Run a Command Prompt as Administrator (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right-click Command Prompt > Select “Run as administrator”)
    2. Enter the following command without quotes: “net stop wuauserv”Stop Windows Update Service Command Prompt
      • Note: If the command does not show success, run the command again
  3. Run the Microsoft FixIt tool for Windows Update issues.

4. Install the latest version of the Windows Update Agent.
    • Be sure to choose the correct version for your operating system and system type.

5. Restart your PC.

6. Run Windows Update again.
    • This may take a couple of hours to complete!

This should resolve most issues with updating Windows 7. However, Microsoft has an extensive article with a whopping 13 methods to resolve Windows Update failures.

If you are still encountering problems installing Windows 7 updates after exhausting these methods, you may want to check for your specific issue in Microsoft TechNet.

Alternatively, it may be worth considering updating to Windows 10. While there are reports of Windows 10 updating frequently, there are far fewer reports of issues where Windows Update does not quickly perform successful updates.

Before going this route though, be sure to check out our other blog articles regarding our support for Windows 10.

I hope this guide helps you to keep your install of Windows 7 up-to-date so your Plugable products keep plugging along!

All these are from this site.

• Like 2

Techlord

EDIT :

IF POSSIBLE USE SYSTEM RESTORE to restore your computer to the time when you had FRESHLY INSTALLED Windows (it should still leave your DOCUMENTS etc intact).

And this is not equal to a fresh install of Windows.

THEN DO the steps given above.

This will solve 99% of all the UPDATE problems for Windows 7.

MOST users find that they need the "Convenience Rollup" ...As stated above...

Good Luck !

Edited by Techlord (see edit history)

LCF-AT

Hi Techlord,

first I wanna say thank you for your help of course but on the other hand I have to say.....Uhm!This isnt looking like a quicky solution.So I am not a prof. of MIT who could do this between a coffee & cookie you know.So this I need to study first etc before I really try this way but in the moment the better choice would be if I go to sleep.Dont understand me wrong but this is really more than bad.So what about users who have not much plan about computers and OS?Who does help them?You know what I mean.So some things I cant understand also not that MS dosent send any fixes / tools etc to fix that problems so whats this for a support?Left alone in the dark.

Anyway,so I am not sure whether I try the method you did post Techlord so it looks like much effort and maybe at the end it dosent bring anything for me just a waste of time (in my case) also if it did work for you.

Thanks again very much Techlord and I will keep this method in my mind.

greetz

• Like 1

Techlord

The other way you can try @LCF-AT, which is easy, is to just boot into safe mode and delete the offending updates. Then install them correctly.

Other EASY solutions that MAY work even if you don't do everything from the start as described above :

Run the Microsoft FixIt tool for Windows Update issues.

and

1. Install the latest version of the Windows Update Agent.
    • Be sure to choose the correct version for your operating system and system type.

2. Restart your PC.

3. Run Windows Update again.
    • This may take a couple of hours to complete!

Do this only after turning off the Windows Update Server by entering “net stop wuauserv” in an elevated command prompt.

On slower systems , estimated time = 1-2 hours :)

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

ok listen.So today I did check again my update history and found out that the most failed updates are also listet a second time as successfully updates.So it seems Windows doesent update the history / removing failed entrys if they was installed later successfully.I did delete the history now temporary and did scan another time for updates and it also tells me I am up to date etc.So I think all is ok now so far.The only problem with updates I have are these (see pic) so they will not updates with the latest version but the first version of these updates (august) was installed successfully.No idea why they dont get repleaced with the latest version...

Updates2.png

greetz

Techlord

@LCF-AT : Frankly speaking, I would not tear out my hair over those updates unless they are deemed to be super critical or something. Of course , for a server, every single update is recommended, as it would be online nearly all the time, that too forced to "serve" requests from clients - where some of the malicious clients can use an exploit against it.

On home PCs, it s adifferent matter altogether, and especially on OSes like Win 7 that are not the latest , its enough (fingers crossed) to just get the critical security based ones installed and leave the rest alone.

Of course, I am sure that yo would be having a firewall and an AV. So I guess you can take it easy for now..

Also, you would most probably not be connected to something like an office network - again a big security risk which you do NOT have.

So maybe you can just relax and  have a ncie cup of coffee .

Good luck :)

P.S : If you INSIST that you need the latest updates, please boot into SAFE MODE, uninstall the existing updates (the offending ones only), and then install the fresh ones. It will work.

• Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi Techlord,

thanks again for that infos so far.Yes I am just a normal PC user without any connections to networks etc.So then lets trust what we have already. :)

PS: I'll try to keep your infos in my mind about updates in the future.Thanks again for your time and effort Techlord.

greetz

• Like 1

Techlord

@LCF-AT : It was my pleaseure to be of some help to you :)

Let me be very specific about one thing. Am sure that anyone else reading this will also find it useful.

If your computer (and/or its firewall) is configured to receive INCOMING connections, then you must be very, very careful.

Examples of incoming connections : ANY form of a SHARE, whether it be a hard-disk folder you are sharing (very common in office based computers) , HTTP or FTP share (some home users host their own "shares" of folders for their friend etc), an USB drive you are sharing for streaming videos to your TV etc - ALL of this can be exploited very easily by malicious scripts. Yes that deserved a highlight in red.

I mentioned those because many home users neglect to count them in a potential sources of trouble.If yo udon't have any of them running , its good.

As long as all these are blocked by a good firewall, you are relatively safe :)

Greetz

Edited by Techlord (see edit history)
  • Like 1

LCF-AT

Hi again,

so normaly I have set FW filters for incomming / outgoing connections and need to allow extra stuff who wants to comu. with internet.So I think all is ok so far in my case with my way (some check tools / Sandbox etc) and also didnt catch any bad stuff anymore like in the past. :) Maybe one of main reason is that I dont debug anymore much (rarly) and did quit checking any xy targets etc.So as just a normal PC user with a little bit knowledge you "could" be more safe (more or less of course).

greetz

• Like 1