Tuts 4 You

Download Windows 10...

Teddy Rogers

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

“We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility” and “use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.”

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving auto-complete and spell check features.”

• Like 1
Teddy Rogers

You can choose to opt-out from most of that during installation and trust that its not going to (or will not happen) in the background. Most people are not going to care anyway because its a free upgrade, are usually lax about their privacy, don't care to read and more than likely will click through using express settings anyway.

One of the pet hates I have with Windows 10 is with Microsoft trying to get people to create Microsoft accounts. Things like Family Safety cannot be used unless you are using a Microsoft account. What is that all about?! :sly:

Ted.

I hope this won't turn into a new OS flaming thread :D

I have tried many Linux distros and still can't find a decent desktop one.

I usually return to Windows because I do projects for living using specific Windows software like Visual Studio and 3dsmax

which are exclusive to Windows OS.

I always give up the idea of dedicating time for improving Linux skills because It feels like a fragmented OS when it comes to desktops, I mean

each distro has its own way of installing packages and applying updates, and this is really disappointing and confusing to me.

in my humble opinion, Windows 7 is still the King when it comes to productivity or RCE.

• Like 1

Like everything if you configure it right it will be fine.. Not really a fan of their default settings.. They might as well put a sign on it saying 'you can hack me if you want'.. they have added so many more exploit me services.. extremely insecure.. :( kinda disappointing really.

Well, as they say - these are last Windows, where you're (kinda) in control.

Next versions most likely will be iOS/Android-style - M$ will make all the decisions for the users, so that Farmer Joe can safely watch his youpor... I mean, youtube channel and Granma Silly can skype with her grandkids. And, of course, it's gonna be subscription-based - as shareholders love predictable and steady cash flow.. :)

I have tried many Linux distros and still can't find a decent desktop one.

This. 10 times this.

I've been running Debian on my headless NAS boxes for 7 years now. It's great there.

But the window manager and desktop UI.. Everyone keeps inventing their own UI elements, it just sucks donkey balls.

Not to mention oh so common issues with sound subsystem and wifi cards. And horrendous gaming and GPU support - even if the game is ported to Linux, ATI drivers are much slower than Windows counterparts. Nvidia drivers suck slightly less - if you can call that an achievement..

• Like 1

I think the paranoid will pick up BSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeBSD

FreeBSD has implemented a number of Microsoft Windows native NDIS kernel interfaces to allow FreeBSD to run Windows-only network drivers.

http://tangentsoft.net/wskfaq/articles/bsd-compatibility.html

According to Ilpo Ruotsalainen, "...most BSD socket implementations do not pass delayed UDP errors (ICMP port unreachable at least, maybe others too) to recvfrom() while Winsock 2 [under Windows 2000 but not Windows 98] does. Linux [behaves like Windows 2000] too, but provives SO_BSDCOMPAT setsockopt() for being compatible with the BSD style."