Tuts 4 You

Windows 10 - free upgrade for all users of Windows 7/8

Teddy Rogers

windows 10 not exist , its future name after complete project.

the thing we see update built of windows , that name was technical preview not windows 10

the licensing scheme seems unclear to me . they just dont give away windows without anything. i am assuming if its a free update, it will end up being something like subscription based system (thus the 1st year only term. ) 
well played Microsoft, well played . 
On side note , windows itself at this point doesnt really matter much about stability or performance. it has come a long way and more or less , the kernel itself is very robust . Stability issues mainly occurs due to bugged driver design . I hope windows 8 will play the role vista played for win7 (adopting new driver model).

The thing that scares me is the concept of windows store. Microsoft turning Apple is not a good news for the general users. Eventually by next 10 years it will be more like "google store" on the pc than the freedom we used to explore a few years ago . 
For now, i will wait till the 1st service pack gets released. From my past experience i have learned that its not a good system till they roll out the 1st service pack .

I agree it is not quite clear-cut as to their overall licensing model. Rumors have been floating around they were considering a subscription based model. This is what they may still do, give previous users the possibility of the free upgrade for the first year then have them receive updates based on a subscription. Time will tell. The word free in the title should have been "free". They could be hoping that by enticing people to upgrade (or downgrade - for those whom like to make corrections) from Windows 7 and earlier they can generate additional revenue through their app store. Hopefully we don't end up going down the path of micro-payments to change wallpaper, mouse cursor, icons, etc... :rolleyes:

Ted.

Today I installed the Windows 10 preview, if the update is free for a year I might actually try it... Probably people will have developed a cure in one year anyways :)

• Like 1

I used to say I wouldn't be leaving Windows 7 for 8 but I did leave for 8.1. It generally feels like an improvement over 7 and now forms part of one of my primary OS' - albeit with StartIsBack installed. The only thing that interests me in Windows 10 thus far - after looking at the list of new features - is DirectX 12 and Project Spartan. The majority of the remaining changes look to be Microsoft's attempt at further integrating people in to their ecosystem(s) and unifying the OS with all their other platforms and services...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873106/windows-10-the-10-most-important-new-consumer-preview-features.html

Ted.

ill hang onto win7 as long as i can like i did xp ..until its absolutely necessary to change ill be ok with win7 or when they wont update it anymore hehe

cheers all

B :)

Same here. I installed the Windows 10 preview smoothly.

Fyi, Microsoft said that the free upgrade will be valid for the first year immediately after the release; if you upgrade during that time, you’ll get Windows 10 for free, for the “lifetime” of your device.

Greetz

-FB

• Like 1

Fyi, Microsoft said that the free upgrade will be valid for the first year immediately after the release; if you upgrade during that time, you’ll get Windows 10 for free, for the “lifetime” of your device.

Greetz

-FB

Well, that shines a different light on things :) In that case I might actually update...

Greetz

-FB

source for the device lifetime free thing ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding high Win OS versions.

I recently bought a new laptop (I7 quad).

The drivers are compatible only with Win8 so i was forced to use Win 8.1 X64.

Super super hard to work with. Lots of programs does not work etc. Is like a tablet. You can't do much with it. I regret my old laptop with XP.

IMHO is a total mess.

I hope Win 10 will not be as 8.

Edited by GIV

Regarding high Win OS versions.

I recently bought a new laptop (I7 quad).

The drivers are compatible only with Win8 so i was forced to use Win 8.1 X64.

Super super hard to work with. Lots of programs does not work etc. Is like a tablet. You can't do much with it. I regret my old laptop with XP.

IMHO is a total mess.

I hope Win 10 will not be as 8.

Great to hear you're finally on x64 :D did some x64 reversing yet?

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8