Tuts 4 You

Do you also have Firefox 31.0+ problems?

LCF-AT

Hi guys,

so I have a short question again so this time about the FF browser.So I noticed some problems after updating my FF browser from version 31.0 to a higher version (31.2.0 | 31.1.0 | 31.1.1 | 32.0 till 33.0.2 latest).So the problem what I have does just happen if I start my FF browser in my Sandboxie only since any higher version right after 31.0.

1.) CPU usage does increase to 50 % and keep so in idle state (normal is 0 %) till I force a manually exit of FF from process list in Sandboxie.

2.) Firefox dosen't exit anymore and keep running in background

No idea why the CPU usage gets increased to 50 % by FF after a short time.Normaly I just know this problems earlier from the update service of windows who did also increase the CPU to 100 % (maybe you remember).Maybe its also any driver problems by FF etc.

So that are the two problem I have with all versions right after 31.0.So at the first time I thought good ok so maybe the FF guys have done something wrong or they will notice the problem sooner or later and make a fix of it in any other later release but now we are already on version 33.0.2 and I see no changes about the problems I have.I still use FF 31.0 in Sandboxie.

Does anybody of you have the same trouble or similar like I have?Maybe anyone knows any FF coder who could tell them about the problem to check this out and fixing it later etc you know.Just a question of course so its really bad to update each time and to see the same problem again & again.

PS: I still use XP SP3 where I get this FF 31.0+ trouble in Sandboxie.

Thank you

• Like 1

Similar behavior with 31.2.0 that comes with Tor (even the previous version, whatever that was).

It does it randomly and get so bad I have to shut it down and restart it.

It seems to occur during and after having problems connecting to some site.

Memory leak, connections left open, some addon like Ad Muncher that likes to connect to its site for link verification?

I haven't bothered verifying since a program restart fixes it.

I personally ditched Firefox at version 4 when they introduced their new "memory management" code that was utterly horrible. The amount of memory leaks, complete system slow-downs and just sluggish performance made me really dislike Firefox. I switched to Chrome at that point and haven't gone back since.

I've heard from friends that still use FF that their memory issues still persist, while not as bad, but are definitely still there. It's rather a shame that a browser that had a solid team and release schedule jumped onto the rapid release bandwagon and really started to produce a very low quality browser.

If you are in the ability to, I would recommend checking out Chrome if performance is a concern for you.

Hi again,

ok maybe FF is not the best browser but for me I can use it best.I also checked Chrome but this is not so good to handle for me (maybe to lazy to lern it). :)

By the way: New update to 33.0.3 is out and "Oh Wonder" this version does work now again for me hehe. :) FF get again normal closed in Sandboxie and the CPU usage is also on 0 % again.Good for me now in this case.

greetz

• Like 1

Hi,

big BS*** again with Firefox!So I told you that the version 33.0.3 is working again for me right,and now 2 days later comes a new version 33.1 out and I have again same trouble!=?

1.) FF dosen't close again in my Sandboxie

2.) CPU usage does increase again to 50 % in idle state (normal is 0 %)

3.) What tha....!!!

4.) Also I see no big changes in this version what could be a reason etc

Forget Button added
Enhanced Tiles
Privacy tour introduced
Adding DuckDuckGo as a search option https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/

Great!Now I can reinstall the pre-version again and this really sucks!So why do the FF guys not adding a update UNDO function so that user as me who having trouble with the latest update could undo this update back = back to pre-version.You know what I mean right.So just add a update undo feature you FF guys!So this shouldn't be so hard to do this don't you!Thanks.

greetz

EDIT: Ok so now I installed 33.0.3 and the problem is gone.So the FF guys must have done something in the 31.1 version opposite version 30.0.3 but what?So I don't think the anything of the changes above in the list could be the reason for that kind of problems or?

Edited by LCF-AT

You would think if this was a common problem either Sandboxie or Mozilla would have picked up on this by now. Have you tried removing your extensions and addons to see how its working then?

Ted.

Hi Ted,

so the problem is no add-on etc so I tried this too already also to start in Safe Mode but I see no changes.Ok listen,so maybe its better to create a video (I made it now) where you can see what I mean and how I test the two versions.Just watch it and maybe you see any problem what I do (I don't think so) or what the problem could be etc.So you will also see the task manager in my test where you see how much CPU usage the FF versions use each time.Just download & watch it.

Firefox 33.1 vs 33.0.3 Test-Video.rar - 4.33 MB

greetz

Hi,

ok so now I have checked the Chrom browser and its not bad about the memory (better than FF) but the browser has a really bad scrolling handling so this lags very strong for me (dosen't work liquid). :( Why?Also I see that Chrom also lags to build the pages itself into browser and is also slower. :( What a pity.So in this case FF is really better so there I have not this problems.

greetz

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

so I have still the problems with Sandboxie + latest Firefox version (33.1.1) but I found out some new thing.I think there is any problem with deleting the chronic (cookies & temp & cache etc All).The one day I just did this from FF browser directly and right after it was finished the CPU usage did jump to 50 % and keeps there again and to close FF was also no more working (need to force it again).Also after this I did restart FF and I got the same CPU trouble without to do anything.Now I just exit FF again and now I have delete my Sanboxie (delete all contents) and then I did start FF again and the problem was gone.So now I have always to delete my Sandboxie before I start FF new again and then all is fine.Maybe there is really any problem / bug with the FF delete chronics function etc. :(

greetz

I don't know version 32.0.3. :) Its any night build or so?

One question to Chrom again: So I see on Tuts4you forum the scrolling with the mouse wheel is very fast as it should be but on other sites as google itself (I see listet links list for exsample) its much slower.Why this?Next problem I see is if I move the scrollbar then it scrolling lags also if I scroll slowly.So thats a point I don't understand so whats the different between scrollbar and mouse wheel?

greetz

I'm still using FF v31.0 now.

If that version worked for you without issue, then I suggest going back to it and switching off check for new updates.

For me FF occassionally does crash, but I always have a stack of tabs open and I mostly hibernate my system, so it could go weeks without being restarted. Also I find that when FF does restart it does remember all my tabs, so I don't really lose much.

As for Chrome I don't like it so much and it's JVM support is hopeless.

Use what works for you.

Maybe you're right to switch again to older version.Yes FF is really not working very fast and needs a lot of time if you have worked with many tabs etc or if I visit any blogs who using endless scrolling (pain in the ass) then FF will also crash earlier or sooner so this really sucks too.

greetz

Maybe you're right to switch again to older version.Yes FF is really not working very fast and needs a lot of time if you have worked with many tabs etc or if I visit any blogs who using endless scrolling (pain in the ass) then FF will also crash earlier or sooner so this really sucks too.

greetz

I don't have any issue with speed with FF most of the time and if I do it means that it is time to restart FF, as I mentioned before I keep the same instance of FF open for weeks at a time.

If you're having issues with speed after only a couple of days then my guess is either some site that you're visiting is playing havoc with FF or one of your plugins is responsible for the performance issues. I guess figuring out which is going to be tedious, but if you approach it methodically you should be able to figure it out.

For instance you could ditch all the plugins temporarily and then if there are no issues add them back in one at a time, or you could look to see whether any of your plugins have updates and try updating and see if that helps. I can tell you that for me FF 31.0 is fine - yes occasionally it goes into some loop and I have to kill it, but that would be no more than once a month and in that time I will have had 10 - 20 tabs open the whole time and visited a bunch of different sites over the duration.

This is to confirm the 31.2.0 problem that just happened again.

1. Major memory leak. I opened a number of tabs on some blog's topics. After I closed them and got it down to my usual 2-3 tabs, its private working set stayed at just over half a gig.

2. With memory as in (1), I went to a forum with not so good servers. A post I tried to make, kept trying to get posted. At that time Firefox started running at 50% (of my dual core) and refused to slow down even after I cancelled the post.

The time was spent by msvcr100.dll!endthreadex

I suppose firefox is just buggy on the way it handles bad connections (maybe in association with the memory leak).

Ah ok so it seems I am not the only who has this memory problem with FF.So at the moment I use 34.0 which still has the same problems. :(I also tried to check the plugins / addons and started FF without them but it wont help. :(

Now I can run FF just once in Sandboxie = no memory problems.If I close FF and restart it again or next day and I call any site (mostly T4Y first) then memory goes again to 50 % and keeps there instead to keep on 0 %.Then I force FF exit manually (does not exit by itself) and delete Sandboxie contents and start FF again and the memory problem is gone but also just for this one session.So all in all I have always to delete my Sanboxie contents before I start FF but this really sucks.greetz

Hi again,

so the tips dosen't work for me.About Sandboxie autodelete function.So I could use this feature but the problem is then that also all downloads get deleted if I have download something so the download contents gets also downloaded into Sandboxie (I think there is no option to let download contents outside of Sandboxie).

Maybe I should try to reset my FF itself (no idea whether then all addons are also away) and test it again.So I see I have also many changes in my settings (about:config) which I made before a long time so maybe there is any problem or something.

Thanks again so far REAP

EDIT: Ok I have reset FF now and installed add ons new again etc.So at the moment it works without problems in Sandboxie without to delete the contents as before etc.Maybe it will work now again. :) I make some more tests + starting & quit again etc and tell you tomorrow whether its still working.

Edited by LCF-AT

Hi again,

ok wrong alert so also the new FF settings wont work and I get same problem as before too but I think I found the problem reason or I am close to find it.The problem is to find in the created Firefox folder in Sandboxie.....

C:\......DefaultBox\user\current\Lokale Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xyz.default

...so in this folder I can see a folder called cache2\trash123 and in this trash folder are many 0 byte files to find.So this I have checked today and did start my FF which I had yesterday to exit manually and right after starting FF the CPU usage jumps again to 50 %.Now I did close (forced) FF and just renamed the folder Firefox from path above and did start FF again and now a new folder gets created and the problem is also gone.So as I thought already before so there is any problem with the delete process of the contents / cache of FF in Sandboxie.So what I can do at the moment is to create a batch file command to delete this folder each time before I do start FF.Maybe not the best solution but better this way instead to delete the entire Sandbox each time. :)

greetz

Hi

Well that is progress, so in the short-term you have a work-around that is no big deal. But if you find that the workaround is reliable then you should be able to contact either Sandboxie or FF support and post your findings and eventually get a bug fix.

Hi again,

so I made some more tests and found out that the problem is the cache2 folder inside and not all contents inside gets deleted if I close FF.So it has always trouble with the created trashxxxx folders which will created durring surfing or if you delete contents in FF manually etc.If trash folder are inside then they will keep and FF does also not close by itself so that I always need to force the exit and if I keep the trash folder inside and restart FF THEN I get also this 50 % CPU usage trouble. :) So this is really funny so I think.No idea what the folder have to do with the CPU usage later etc?!?Strange.I also checked this with the FF outside of Sandboxie and there happens the same (all normal so far) but the different is that the entire cache2 folder contents gets deleted inside if I close FF or do delete all cookies etc direct in FF so there is all working without problem only in Sandboxie isn't working so.Anyway so I am already happy to found this little nasty problem + to use a quick solution (doubleclick delete batch) before I start FF.Will see how long I have to do this till a new version update comes out which has no more that problem.

PS: Hmm,so I don't wanna register on FF site just to post a bug comment etc so maybe anyone else can post them this problem etc.

greetz