Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
JMC31337

XFINITY Wifi HotSpots

JMC31337

Apparently, Verizon XFINITY is offering nationwide hotspots to all its paying customers. What happens is if your a Verizon customer you can log into the Verizon wifi hotspot and do whatever completely absent of your home network. Your friends family and colleagues and any other xfinity user can use these nationwide hotspots. Of which, Xfinity wants all over the nation.

A bunch of free hotspots all over the nation.. hmmm.. the only thing keeping the common user is some server database which cross-checks your username and password...

What marketing idea will they come up with next?

Its not like we cant goto our local starbucks and use their free wifi but i think its a door thats being opened for hackers...

No different than that mobile e-pay stuff their coming up with to allow a cell phone to buy a soda at a vending machine or whatever else... 

rendari

Hi there,

It's actually Comcast that the Xfinity hotspots belong to. And I have one of the modem-routers in question; the hotspot feature is disabled by default on it. I can't speak for others, but looking at the internet I see it's also disabled by default for a lot of people. So this doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

-r

JMC31337

Hey thnx for correcting that... They made it seem like they we're just going to start popping these things up in places... So by what you say; I agree if it's disabled by default...

Edited by JMC31337 (see edit history)

JMC31337

It says:

-Enjoy wifi access when visiting other customers

-thousands of hotspots across the nation and growing every day

-allows guests to connect to the net without you sharing your password

-the "xfinity" signal is separate from your home network

-no impact on your broadband home connection

-fast wifi speeds

-works for nearly all wifi devices

-helps conserve your data plan

And the big ONE:

to learn more or how TO DISABLE it if you choose visit www.xfinity.com/wifi/neighborhood

a person I talked to says you would have to call to get them to turn it off...

Guess it depends on a lot of factors but it seems to be their next big wifi "gig"

rendari

Hi JMC,

You don't have to call them to turn it off. You can enable/disable it in the web ui if the router. It's pretty simple :) Aside from that I agree with you, the concept is interesting.

-r

stellios

Verizon is a foreign spy agency, period!

Leina

this is new to me..thanks for sharing xfinity. :)

JMC31337

Hi JMC,

You don't have to call them to turn it off. You can enable/disable it in the web ui if the router. It's pretty simple :) Aside from that I agree with you, the concept is interesting.

-r

I'll pass the info along, web ui makes it easier than calling for sure...

Verizon is a foreign spy agency, period!

Lol... Why you say that?

:)