Tuts 4 You

Need help with manipulating compressed .exe files!

DARkTYranno

Hi all,

I'm working on a preservation project to bring an old series back completely.

For fans I'm creating a lot of files, where I want to include NFO files from now on.

Situation:

As those NFO files aren't shown correctly in notepad (wrong symbols and different lining),

I want to show them in NFO viewers. I found a lot viewers online, but those are software programs you need to install and bind to the .NFO extension. I searched a lot and couldn't find anything useful. :(

I do have some NFO viewers that were packed with some cracker releases.

These do exactly what I want, without installation view the text in custom color, autoscroll and music.

Now my Problem:

I want to modify these files to my liking, but they are compressed and protected in some ways.

I've tried a lot of decompressing softwares and resource hackers, but none was able to help me out.

They do work with normal setupt, but not in this case with this type of compressed exe file.. -.-

I tried e.g.:

- Resource Tuner (error, nothing opened),

- PE Explorer (error, opened in safe mode),

- Universal Extractor (places the directory structure with some (useless?) files),

- UPX (error: not compressed with UPX),

- Resource Hacker (also (useless?) files)...

Is there someone that has experience with compressing and decompressing exe files and that know the structure and content of the resource folder?

(Maybe the extension is just hidden..?)

I'm now at the point that the provided NFO viewer shows my NFO.

Things I have to change:

1) The Music;

2) Text in the interface;

Things I would like to change, but aren't crucial:

3) default autoscroll speed when you run it;

4) the xx.nfo filename, can't change it or the exe will shout at me...

5) Colors of the text and background;

6) Icon of the viewer.

If there are some things which aren't clear, please let me know.

I hope there are some people who can help me out with this, I can't make any progress at all with al this new stuff...

Thanks!

Grtz,

DARkTYranno - Dutch Argaï Project - Worldwide Provider!

PS: attached is the file I want to change in my situation.

NFO Test.rar

Taking other team's NFO viewer and patching it is generally not a good idea. At best, they'll frown upon that, at worst - full fledged flamewar will ensue. I suggest that you make your own viewer, there are quite a few source codes available. Search this board for "nfo viewer source".

Attached is unpacked file in which you'll be able to modify all resources using Reshacker (or other resource editor). To modify texts, scroll speed, colors and nfo filename, you'll need to do small disassembly work yourself.

luc-unpacked.zip

Well, can you help me out with that?

I tried searching on this forum and on the internet for source code, nothing found...

If I find a way to create them myself, all the better :D

As for the unpacked version, I found some info in a .idata file, but again, a lot of extra steps and installing software to figure all out.. :S

I hope I can get some source code which can help me create own viewers, I still don't know how...

Well, can you help me out with that?

Hmm, you must be really confused. Nobody is going to do your job for you. You need it, you do it.

I tried searching on this forum and on the internet for source code, nothing found...

Try again. There is this little search box on top-right corner of this forum. Use it.

On this forum I see at least 3 different source codes here, including one which is extremely similar to your chosen nfo viewer.

Using same query on Google Code, I see at least 2 open source projects. Using same query on Google main search, I see at least dozen more projects. So don't tell me you can't find anything.

Try again. There is this little search box on top-right corner of this forum. Use it.

On this forum I see at least 3 different source codes here, including one which is extremely similar to your chosen nfo viewer.

Using same query on Google Code, I see at least 2 open source projects. Using same query on Google main search, I see at least dozen more projects. So don't tell me you can't find anything.

Ah yea, I didn't notice you had to select searching forums, I'm used to search functions that already search all over the forum, my mistake.

Ah yea, I didn't notice you had to select searching forums, I'm used to search functions that already search all over the forum, my mistake.

:cold2: there is also option to use advance settings search. I thought might be you did not notice that also.

Edited by Kingstaa

:cold2: there is also option to use advance settings search. I thought might be you did not notice that also.

Yea you're right, I missed that option too.

It's no problem, as forum search did the job already.

I downloaded the source material, but there were no instructions.. xD

What do I need to do with it? :S

I can't just work this out without tutorial or help, it's my first time I try such thing and it's not kind of easy for people who've never done this..

There must be some people who want to help others instead of letting them search and try for themselves?

If you are really programmer, you dont need tutorial. You can simple take a look over it and you will get it how it actually works. If you want someone would teach you how to make NFO creator, sorry my friend as far i know no one going to do that. Try to analyze source.

• 3 weeks later...

I've decided to create my own NFO viewers in C#.
After 4 days of programming, I've made some custom designs with .it music, own text-/backgroundcolors and skin.

It loads NFO in the right format, only problem for now is the autoscroll option, that's hard to implement.
At least I can get some results with it, I'm almost done already. :D