Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
LCF-AT

XP Speed-Up questions

LCF-AT

Hello together,

so today I have again some question and I am looking for some answers and maybe you can help me again with some hints.

I have installed a fresh XP and after this the system is working again very quick and also the restart of XP just need a minute what is very fast. :) So now you start to install some basic tools of course like browser firewall antivirus etc and after this your system is not more so quick like before of course also the restart is taken more time now because loading firewall & AV.All clear so far for me but now after a while I got a problem and I don't know the reason for this issue.

Problem: So if I now just start XP then it need also just a minute to show me my desktop but its just empty so I can just see the background picture and from now the XP need 4 minutes to show me all icons & task [normal desktop] and this is really bad you know.So I don't want to wait again 4 minutes after I see my desktop so there must be a problem but I can't find the reason for this.So this is a major problem for me and I want to fix it....

So my XP just load 3 app's at startup.Firewall / AV / SoundMixer and also just 3 custom services.Thats not much and also my OS just has loaded 20 processes what is also very low.So I also tried to disable the startup app's & custom services but the XP restart is taken also the same time like with enabled app's & services!

So how can I find out why the start of my OS need so much time after I can see my desktopbackground?So what does it load after I disabled my stuff?I also checked the system for virus etc but all is clean so far.

Question: Do you know what I can try to find & fix this time waiting problem?How can I restore my registry back to all original values like after a fresh XP install?Do you know some helpfully tools to LOG the startup of XP to find out what is make durring the desktopbackground view till full showing of my desktop?Maybe you have some good hints for me which I can test.So at the moment I just use a test OS where I check some tools etc but later I want to re-install XP fresh again but after I want to be a bit smarter to handle & prevent problems like this now you know.

So you can also post some of you trick & hints what to do to keep your system [almost] clean so far and how to save the registry & restore them if needed and if this help.So you know what I mean right?So it would be nice if you could post some hints & tools [if needed] etc which I can test and also keep in my mind if I later install XP fresh again.

PS: Registry question.

Lets say I install XP fresh again then I have a clean registry.So does it help if I now save/export this complete registry?So if I had this clean registry now and would import it would this bring my installed XP status back?So you know what I mean right?So I know I can not exchange the registry only import but I just wanna know whether this would help you know.Is there maybe a tool where you can exchange the original registry with your at the moment used registry?Something like this etc.

Thank you

mrexodia

I don't know why it gets slower (I guess every pc does) but maybe a solution such as DeepFreeze will help... Basically it restores the whole pc (except for some things I guess) to the original state...

Maybe it was helpful...

kao

if I now just start XP then it need also just a minute to show me my desktop but its just empty so I can just see the background picture and from now the XP need 4 minutes to show me all icons & task [normal desktop] and this is really bad you know.

My guess - it's not caused by application but by some stupid shell extension, perhaps written in .NET.

If you see your desktop background but not icons or taskbar, it's probably not startup issue, but Windows Explorer issue. I don't know of any special tools to debug it, so I'd try WindDbg.. wink.png

trick & hints what to do to keep your system [almost] clean so far

My setup:

1) clean install of XP, drivers integrated in setup using nLite.

2) 100GB system disk, only OS and everyday apps here. The rest goes to data disk. Network storage for MP3s and videos.

3) Faronics DeepFreeze to protect system disk and registry from any changes. Upon reboot system is back to pristine state. Faronics Data Igloo to redirect few folders to data disk (My Documents, etc.)

4) No antivirus, no automatic updates. Use common sense, and even in worst case scenario one reboot is all it takes to get back to clean system.

5) VMWare for suspicous targets and targets that require reboot (I don't have many of those, anyway)

Warning - such setup requires you to adjust the way you work - so, it might or might not be convenient for you. As for me, laptop has not been reinstalled for 4 years and it's still running as fast as in the beginning.

LCF-AT

Hi,

so if I read it right then DeepFreeze does always restore the system after each start.

@ kao

shell extension! :) So do you mean I should maybe disable all of them used by xy app's?So I have dl a tool called ShellExView and I see a list with 229 elements which are all active.So I will try to disable them almost all and restart maybe this will help like you said. :)

Ok you also tell me to use Deep Freeze.So can you maybe tell me very easy how it works and what it does after installing this tool?Does it always erase the reg data with the saved reg at installing?What about the app's which I install after Deep Freeze?So at the moment I can not imagine the working process of this tool.Maybe you can explain it a bit for me so I mean the basic important steps.Why should I then no more use a antivius tool anymore?

greetz

EDIT: OK I see the shell extension are almost all by XP so there are just winrar & antivirus extensions to see.So I think that this is not the problem.Also there are no NET written extension.

Edited by LCF-AT (see edit history)

LCF-AT

Hello,

so today I have test a tool called BootVis to see why my system need so much time to start my XP.Here I have made two pictures!!!!

Boot Done in 196.55 sec | 3.27 min
System Ready in 307.40 sec | 5.12 min

This is totaly crazy!So I dont know what I can change to make it faster again.So the optimize function does not work in this tool so my task service is missing in my service list!BootVis told me to do a manually defrag so does it mean that I have only to do a normal drive defrag or does it mean a other defrag and if yes which kind of defrag and how to perform it manually now?Some hints are welcome of course. :)

greetz

post-27695-0-77601600-1333913503_thumb.p

post-27695-0-27013800-1333913514_thumb.p

mrexodia

System ready in 5 minutes... I guess you should just not install anti virus and other apps, or just run a live 'cd' of windows. In my case uninstalling the non-used VPN network cards fixed the problem (took endless to load them all)

Mondo

<p>You could try downloading and installing Trend Micro Hijack This v2.04 running a system scan and saving the log file then post the contents of the log file.It's an old tool, but it might give us some insight as to where the bottle neck might be. I've attached the file here (it's free).

HijackThis.zip

grizzmo

Had this too.

Startup and Close first in less than a minute.

Updates: Installed a videocard driver for faster view, so faster XP. Startup took suddenly 5 to 6 minutes, shutdown too.

Went back to videcard onboard, almost normal(and normal with XP, should be startup and slowdown in under 1minute)

Also try emptying the "temp" folder first and run a good registry cleaner. I have noticed with videocard drivers, the older version made not a second difference and the adviced update took every time 6 to 8 minutes on startup and shutdown.

I think:

if you want XP fast, just experiment with your hard- and software, till it does what you want. I think for XP, no standards. Actually: When xp runs fast: Maybe better than windows 7, but when everything takes minutes: I wouldn't give it my worst enemy (well!?) No, slow and buggy, crappy XP is hell on earth and you wished you saved yourself a copy of Windows VIsta!, lolszzz.

Install and uninstall hardware and software till your copy is ok and then tweak with a few registry settings!

You can also do a "empty" services startup, so first disable most services and restart and add a few and restart etc, etc., you can read upon this through google, If you can't find let me know.

Bye

Edited by grizzmo (see edit history)

redblkjck

Try using Boot Log XP instead of Bootvis. ..http://www.greatis.com/utilities/bootlogxp/index.html

I don't think bootvis breaks it down as much as boot log xp.

Indexing Service was one that bogged down XP, should only run when idle but I had issues with it.

After doing patches or big updates I would clear out the prefetch cache folder and reboot.

Check your system with autoruns ..http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 to get an idea of what is starting up at boot and win logon. scheduler service might have duplicates or something that is not needed.

LCF-AT

@ Mr. eXoDia

Yes good idea not to install a AV anymore but what to use then?Never heard about a live CD!What's that?

@ Mondo

So I used this tool already in the past where there was a possibility to post the LOG file direct on the main page but this feature is no more there.So I used this tool again now but I see not trouble just a few ASK toolbar trash which I have removed.

@ grizzmo

So my hardware is not the problem so all is working fine and also quick after a fresh installing of XP.So the main trouble should be my AV.

@ redblkjck

Have used this tool too now so it said 168 sec.So its funny that this tool is quick finished and just a few minutes later comes the rest so that I can access my desktop.

@ All

So today I have checked the internet again to find any other solution for me and I found a tool called Sandboxie.I have test it a little and its working so far but now I have some questions about it.

So with this tool I can also surf on the internet with my FF without to have fear to catch some bad stuff on my system [if this is true].

- Ok so lets say I just only use the internet with this Sandboxie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is now my normal system save against the bad internet stuff etc?

Is it possible to disable the internet for my normal XP and to enable it only with this Sandboxie?So you know what I mean right?So if I only surf with Sandboxie then I can't get any bad stuff on my system.But what is with xy apps which I have installed on my system so I think they also try to access the internet with my normal system so how can I prevent this?

Lets say I only use this Sandboxies then its possible for me to prevent a installing of any Antiviurs Tool to keep a fast XP.Maybe this would be a solution for me or?What do you think?

So to debug with Olly in Sandboxie with using plugins etc seems to be not possible but for this I could again use VirtualPC.

So what do you say?Would this maybe be a good solution or not?

greetz

paul

Why is it that you use an antivirus and firewall ? I Haven't used such software in years and never gotten a single virus.

Do you do malware reversing ?

_roadster_

in my experience an user mode driver caused that. you should look xp's error log or use 3rd party tools like that: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647

if it does not help you, read below :)

boot xp with bootlog option. it writes loaded drivers to ntbtlog.txt in windows directory. when desktop appears, immediately open it with a text editor and refresh it continuously. when a driver startup takes long time you can see that.

yes i know it is hommade solution :) but it was good for my problem.

LCF-AT

@ paul

Are you sure? :) No I do no malware reversing.

@ _roadster_

Ok so I have dl this tool but how can I get it work to log my boot?I had enabled Logboot in this tool and it tells me to log on next boot but it does not log or start.Have I done something wrong?I also have no ntbtlog.txt file so I can not test it.

greetz

DMichael

1.Vitsoft registry fix(very strong tool to keep registry clean):

http://www.vitsoft.o...a/en/index.html

2.disabling some services

3.disable all visual effects and custom themes

4.switching to custom maded faster OS:

http://thepiratebay....on_October_2011

well this 4 above the most helping solutions to speed problems

BTW:

cleaning some temporary files will help too:

http://majorgeeks.co...ad.php?det=4949

ohh and last thing:

try to upgrade you drivers :]

Edited by DMichael (see edit history)
  • Like 1

LCF-AT

@ DMichael

Thanks for your hints but also this will not help to fix my [show desktop | now wait 5 minutes to see the rest] problem.

I use already a cleaner.Also I have not running all services.I dont use any theme etc or effects.Also I installed a custom made XP version.The driver are also ok.

So listen.In my opinion I think that the main problem is the Avira tool so this tool must done something on my system / reg that I get this problem above.So now the problem is that if I also disable my AV + Services at startup that it also need so much time so this is very strange you know.So if I am finished with my tests then I will try to remove this AV app + AV cleaner etc and then I will test whether the system still need so much time or not.If yes then the cleaning was usless.Anyway so I will no more install the AV again on a next fresh XP install.

greetz

redblkjck

perhaps the pagefile is corrupt. could try setting the pagefile to disabled and reboot. after the reboot, enable the pagefile again and set your size or auto, reboot. this should clear it out and create a new one. once it's been enabled and created, reboot again to see if the performance has improved. systernals on MS has a tool called 'pagedefrag' that can do some minor adjustments to keep the pagefile running smooth if clearing it helped your performance.

LCF-AT

@ redblkjck

So its not a good choice to disable the pagefile on low level systems like I use with 512 MB ram.So I also think that this is not the problem so I also have already defrag the pagefile wihtout to see any changing.

So listen:I start the PC and after a few seconds I see my desktop with only my blue background and thats all.So I just see blue and my mouse and now the system need again a few minutes to show me the whole desktop etc.So the funny thing is if I see at the begining my desktop [background + mouse] then I can press the key combo strg+alt+entf and now it open my TaskManager and there I can choose File/New Task (execute) and I enter calc or notepad for exsample and it starts my calc or notepad tool "now" without to wait. :) So then I still see just my desktopbackground + mouse + calc where I can calc something. :) So this is very strange so on this way I can access some tools and can also work with them but without to see the explorer etc.So I dont know why the explorer is taken so much time to load.Very strange problem so I think.

greetz

paul

I suggest you reinstall XP without any AV and/or firewall, you honestly do not need it.

As for your problem it sounds like theres something seriously wrong with explorer but I doubt anyone knows exactly what is is or how to fix it so the best solution would be to just reinstall.

redblkjck

Are you setup to log in with multiple accounts? I would setup another user account and try logging in with it. Reason being to rule out the OS being the problem or your userprofile.

_roadster_

that tool is only viewing drivers log messages only. "/bootlog" option is feature of os kernel. there are 3 ways enabling that. 1st is start-run-msconfig its on the boot.ini tab tick /bootlog option and restart the xp. when you logged on immediately open

c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt, last loaded driver mostly broken and waits it for timeout. after timeout it cuntinues loading other user mod drivers, services etc.

msconfig.gif

image was taken from the web.

DMichael

well umm try disabling error reporting and disable all stuartp programs that you dont need

drwastp32 (dr.watson) do a dump to blue screen and that remindes me you problem 5 mintus on black screen:S

LCF-AT

@ _roadster_

Ok I have done what you said and here I have a log now so maybe you can see whats wrong etc and can tell me what I can do etc.

So also here I have this....so is this important or not?So I see this not on your picture thats why I ask you.

noexecute=optin

TUTag=I7NDC0

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /TUTag=I7NDC0 /bootlog

ntbtlog.txt

Treiber geladen = Driver loaded
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen = Driver was not loaded

Service Pack 3 4 11 2012 19:28:31.500
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\hal.dll
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Treiber geladen ACPI.sys
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Treiber geladen pci.sys
Treiber geladen isapnp.sys
Treiber geladen viaide.sys
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Treiber geladen MountMgr.sys
Treiber geladen ftdisk.sys
Treiber geladen dmload.sys
Treiber geladen dmio.sys
Treiber geladen PartMgr.sys
Treiber geladen VolSnap.sys
Treiber geladen atapi.sys
Treiber geladen disk.sys
Treiber geladen \WINXP\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Treiber geladen fltMgr.sys
Treiber geladen KSecDD.sys
Treiber geladen Ntfs.sys
Treiber geladen NDIS.sys
Treiber geladen viaagp.sys
Treiber geladen srescan.sys
Treiber geladen Mup.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\p3.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ati2mtag.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\RTL8139.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbohci.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\cmaudio.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\fdc.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\serial.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\parport.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\audstub.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ptilink.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspti.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\gameenum.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\flpydisk.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasacd.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \??\C:\WINXP\system32\drivers\OAnet.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msgpc.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipsec.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \??\C:\WINXP\system32\drivers\OAmon.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ssmdrv.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \??\C:\WINXP\system32\drivers\oahlp32.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \??\C:\WINXP\system32\drivers\OADriver.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fips.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avipbb.sys
Treiber geladen \??\C:\Programme\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgio.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fastfat.SYS
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgntflt.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys
Treiber geladen \??\C:\Programme\Sandboxie\SbieDrv.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\splitter.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aec.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\swmidi.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\DMusic.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\drmkaud.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\ParVdm.SYS
Der Treiber wurde nicht geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\avgntflt.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys

@ DMichael

So I did already disabled all and have restart my system but it still need so much time. :( What do you mean with "do a dump to blue screen.." etc?

greetz

redblkjck

Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\System32\vsdatant.sys <-- Zonealarm still installed???

edit Might be with Cisco Endpoint also. If not Cisco and you once installed ZA then this firewall filter could be a problem with Avira.

Edited by redblkjck (see edit history)

LCF-AT

@ redblkjck

Yes I still have this FW installed on my test OS. :) So I did also try to disable the FW + driver service and load just with AV but the speed problem was not gone.

So I found on the net some info about the "avgntflt.sys" file which can make the system start slower [some timeout-trouble etc] so maybe I have this problem too so I dont know.Maybe I should try to disable some drivers with autoruns and try to restart to see whether it has changed something.

greetz

_roadster_

hello again.

x86-64 CPUs have execution disable bit to prevent memory overflow so

/noexecute=optin kernel parameter says to os how to behave. but /TUTag=I7NDC0 param. is interesting.

i think a 3rd party tool added it. google says xp tunning up softwares can do that. i think you should remove it. dont wory it does not hurt your pc :)

other hand, your nt boot log is not bad. Like i said you should trace boot log just in time.

for example:

xp boots up until

and waits a few minutes and than continues booting.

Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys

Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys

Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\splitter.sys

Treiber geladen \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aec.sys

at that example you should think about avgntflt.sys and SbieDrv.sys.

other usefull tool is xp's event viewer. you can find it control panel but fastest way is: right click to my computer on desktop and select manage. left side you can see it. (ss from my comp. so it is turkish.)

eventviewer.png

watch the errors and theirs time stamp. it may help you.