Tuts 4 You

What OS would you put on a netbook?

Teddy Rogers

Honestly, I'd go with a Linux distro just because the only reason I'd ever get a NetBook would be the fact it's so mobile. I'd most likely do Wi-Fi mapping with it and then use Linux to crack any password protected Wi-Fi spots. All of this would mean, I could have a VERY portable work laptop with Wi-Fi anywhere I go in my city.

Well at this point its really a matter of what you like.

I would either go with a copy of OpenSuse or Windows embedded.

In other words something that is lite enough to go on the netbook.

i am using ubunu 11.10 (i am not sure which version) on my eeepc netbook. but i am not very happy with it.

* video playback is bad (async and flickering).

* the touchpad driver doesnt work good. its a nightmare to drag and drop using the touchpad only.

* nasty updates almost everytime i use my netbook. when you start the update its slows down your system and you cant watch movies for examples.

windows xp worked much better on my netbook. but i am too lazy to install again. biggrin.png

maybe i will try next Aurora OS (http://www.auroraos.org) which is optimized for EEEPC Netbooks.

Edited by diablo2oo2

Urgh! Ubuntu. Hate it. I would rather use Kubuntu. My favourite Linux distro is Scientific Linux. Very good and well supported...

Ted.

If you have have android phone why not throw an android OS the netbook also...There is x86 android version I seen on the net.

Me personally would probably setup up a duel boot Linux/Windows or Linux with a windows virtualbox