Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
Teddy Rogers

Microsoft Windows 8...

chickenbutt

@deepzero: That's useless anyway.. It wont stop advanced memory corruption in tcpip.sys for example, from getting code execution.

Besides within the next few years, any malware author or hacker worth anything is going to scalable ring3 solutions. Modern AVs, like NIS and KIS, have soo many NDIS patches,kernel table and object patches, and ring0 watchdog threads that it's too expensive to RE all their code and manage working exploits. You can spoof injections on AV pass processes and do pretty much anything, even under anally configured AV HIPS like SONAR.

Kernel driver signing never fixed anything either, you can patch one ring0 syscall on 7 and 8 and bypass all the PKI checks.

I actually liked the signed bootchain idea with the option to disable. It would of actually worked.. Now it's only on ARM w8, and is enforced(I think you have to in order to get a baseband registered)

Teddy Rogers

There is a great tool to be found here...

http://tihiy.net/fil...x7forW8_1.0.zip

...which will get rid of Metro UI and give you back Windows 7 start menu and desktop. It is works okay!

Edit: Forgot to add Start8 from Stardock... http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Ted.

Edited by Teddy Rogers (see edit history)
  • Like 1

chickenbutt

HONEST OBSERVATION:

1. It's W7 with all MS code repoes ran through newer compilers(hence the ~1% footprint reduction), new window handling classes in COM(metro), start replaced with tile system, and a lot of security that is already transparentantly defeated even in script kiddy tools..

2. You can use HyperV on ISO and some other image formats nativly, I think it only does virtual mounting though

3. Lots of pointless data sniffing options and integrations, like MSN integration(I use a local account) by default, and all the 'send data to ms' options, at least 20 just in the out-of-box "apps"

4. Everything else is windows 7 identical, oh yeah they don't do service packs for 7 or 8 anymore, so if you manage any network or even a SOHO you're ****ed unless you do unstable slipstreams(unstable cause they usually break .NET and registry class hives)..

5. Enterprise, like 7 embedded, can do USB boot

6. native USB 3.0 and auto-driver install for things like video and touchpads

SUMMARY: I bought pro 64 while the deal is on to keep resale of my laptop up and for the better efficiency. It's really a pointless buy though, if for no other reason than it adds nothing and kills support for most hardware.

I find reviews by most 'credible' sites to be just more poo-content by people who get paid six-figures to not really do anything productive or innovative and give staggering-mediocraty in the form of generalized opinions.. They didn't even cover actual features, and instead focused on the start menu and apps.. I guess for that much money, content writers have a effort deficite..

Edited by chickenbutt (see edit history)

Kurapica

Windows 98 Windows ME ~Windows 2000 Windows XP~ Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8 Windows ?

Legend :

Blue : Good OS

Red : Bad OS

Just my opinion as a lamer, but is there a pattern here ?

Edited by Kurapica (see edit history)
  • Like 1

chickenbutt

Windows 98 Windows ME ~Windows 2000 Windows XP~ Windows Vista Windows 7 Windows 8 Windows ?

Legend :

Blue : Good OS

Red : Bad OS

Just my opinion as a lamer, but is there a pattern here ?

Pretty much everyone probably agrees with that. I think it's an issue in usability science though. It's literally 7 with start replaced with an annoying tile system, and all binaries ran through newer compilers..

What

I have Windows 8 x64 and I don't completely hate it. I don't mind the new start setup. I felt kind of dumb Googling how to shutdown my computer though. There is only two real issues I have: one, I have certain programs that I like to view stuff with, I can't seem to get Windows to **** off and let me set my default programs; and two, at some points there is some lag issues, especially with my mouse. It won't scroll. I have a relatively nice laptop, so there in no reason for the delay.

Teddy Rogers

I found Windows 8 to be a lot easier to work with when I installed it on a bare metal machine having multiple monitors, Windows and Tiles seems to work a bit better with Tiles on a dedicated screen. I also started using Classic Shell instead of the Start replacement program I mentioned in a previous post as I found that it caused some Windows 8 features to fail.

I still feel that had Tiles not come with Windows 8 (desktop), or there was an option to remove it, it would be getting a whole lot of broader praise. I am not going to bitch about Tiles completely because on the right device such as Surface RT it looks and works great... until you go to the desktop background and you are left thinking in the opposite frame of mind of the desktop, "why am I at a desktop screen?". Unfortunately this is Microsoft forcing us to get familiar with their common interface across platforms and devices so we have to deal with it for now.

Microsoft could have opted to use the core Windows 8 OS across all devices but left Tiles interface for portable devices and Windows interface for desktop devices because I always feel when I switch from one to the other in either of those it doesn't feel quite right. I can't see myself seriously using a touch screen on a desktop (maybe in the future I will eat those words!) and touch on desktop will go the way of 3D as just being a fad.

Hopefully Surface Pro will be an interesting device!

What

I ended up removing all the included metro apps, turning off all security options that question my decisions, turned off notifications, ... turned off everything. It ends up being Windows 7 with a start menu that has all my useful apps showing on the main page with large icons so they are easy to identify. I can group them as I like. It is actually pretty nice once I got all the settings right.

I didn't care for the metro apps. The were just too aggressive. I don't need the apps to go full screen. And the default apps would not stop taking over default association. The tiles were lazy (solid colors) for these apps too. I had no intention of using them, so they had to go. All this entire setup is is an answer for iTunes and Android stores, which doesn't need to be on desktop systems.

Everything else had to get turned off too. I don't know why I have to be asked if I want to run an app every time. I understand it may be a security issue, but I am not 10 and I know what I am doing (most of the time).

Teddy Rogers
And the default apps would not stop taking over default association.

I use Directory Opus and fortunately there is an accidental bug which conveniently only launches desktop apps ignoring Tiles association. Probably why I haven't been irritated by this yet. Unfortunately this bug is being fixed in next release of Directory Opus to respect Tile associations but will come with an option to override it leaving as it is now...

Ted.

chickenbutt

The problem with those tiles are they are binded to a nasty looking COM API added in 8 which is binded to the DOM handling engine IE10 uses.. It has a big memory footprint and poorly designed classes..

If you've never learned COM API or worked with it's components, don't.. The only feature of it worth anything is the embedded browser, and only for bots and scrapers that need to run scripts and plugins; there are better webkit based alternatives to that now. WMI COM is only good for native codecs and getting stuff like bios serial without ring0, and I think you can even do that through directx and IO dlls..

**I agree though, I actually like 8, they have some undocumented security policy stuff and the 7 repoes ran through MSVC 2010 reduce hardware footprint. You right click on metro and you can show all items and work fast from there. Also, even though I'm on a sandy bridge laptop with UEFI, ASUS has no bios update with the secure-boot option for my model; I actually want that feature cause it's so effective..

What

Ok, after another ten days with Windows 8, here is my opinion of it: it sucks.

It's not the start menu, I really don't care about that (it's actually pretty nice, although I don't care for the popup bar on the right of the screen). It's not the metro stuff, I uninstalled that as it's useless on non-touch-screen systems and computers with screens larger than 10 inches. The problem is that it is unstable.

- Windows tries to update, fails, then tries to update another two times and fails. This is followed by an undo process. This entire update process consists of about an hour and three restarts, and at the end of this process, nothing is updated.

- When I close the lid on my laptop, it's suppose to go to sleep mode; it has crashed at least 6 times so far when trying to accomplish this task.

- I run my computer without a Windows password from a single administrator account, and yet, Windows still won't stop annoying me. I have to right click and click run as administrator or set the run as administrator option for the file for certain apps. Windows still feels the need to provide me with useless information and popups. I can't seem to tweak my settings enough to stop the useless popups. Here is a suggestion for Microsoft, **** OFF!

- Worst of all, there are periods of lag for what seems to be for no reason at all.

My last computer was running Vista. I liked Vista, at least after SP2 anyway. I remember that people didn't like Vista too much for various reasons. And I never understood that because, for me, it was fine. I never had the pre-SP installation of Vista though. Now I understand. I hate Windows 8. I hope Microsoft fixes Windows 8 in their service packs. And I hope those service packs come soon.

On a slightly off topic note -- has anyone used VS 2012? Who in the hell decided to make the menu bar entirely in uppercase? I know you can make a registry entry to turn that off, but seriously... I am starting to question whether or not I should do a full switch to Linux. It is a simple thing, but if I can't trust Microsoft to make good decisions about little things, how can I trust them with future developments. This may be the last Windows I ever use.

chickenbutt

-sounds like .NET updates, the same happens on xp, vista, 7 with verry little needed to cause it, software is sold that does nothing but fix .NET issues, mostly in the registry..

-You have hybrid sleep enabled? If so file system corruption could be causing this and first, if not it's likely 3rd party driver segfault or cpu state bugs

-sounds like defrag, search, backup, or update service, maybe real-time AV

VS 2012 has nice compiler optimizations and streamline features in the IDE, but you can buy a house for what even the single-dev license costs. Big studios are all still on 2010 or older..

Edited by chickenbutt (see edit history)

antrobs

For me I think it's too early to switch to win8, there's an edge in using win8 if you have touch screen in my opinion...

aNtRobs

• Like 1

antrobs

I hope "Windows Blue" (Windows 9) is better than this....

aNtRoBs

Teddy Rogers

Yesterday was the last straw with my personal Windows 8 adventures and I have now gone back to Windows 7. Never again will I install Windows 8 outside of a virtual machine on one of my own computers. I have had nothing but trouble from the moment I installed it and this has nothing to do with Tiles or missing Start button. I'd rather go back to using Windows ME (okay, maybe not but you get the idea!). Terrible experience with Windows 8 operating system...

Ted.

Ali.Dbg

linux legend loves windows 7 (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
linux-legend-loves-windows-7-Linus_Bened

Edited by Ali.Dbg (see edit history)

essaeypride

Awesome ♥

CYDONIA

For old user, Win8 never usefull. When i starting to using Win8, i'm feeling like using big GSM tabled. If you learning computer today, you can use easy Win8. But if you coming from Win3.1 - Win7 age, really hard to accepting Win8. Still lots of office peoples using WinXP. Because finding more easy and usefull...

Regards,

X-88

I have not tried it , but I felt it was suitable only for smartphones ;)