Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
Teddy Rogers

Microsoft Windows 8...

Teddy Rogers

Microsoft Windows 8 Developer Preview

The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Get it from here...

/>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

...and some information about Windows 8 and it's new features...

/>http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/E/4/1E455D53-C382-4A39-BA73-55413F183333/Windows_Developer_Preview-Windows8_guide.pdf

Ted.

Teddy Rogers

Gah! Check out the new Start "menu" cc_confused.gif

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DArxXyimC0Y

Ted.

Reaction

That's just.. bad.

SteveS1

@Ted n others

Wow its really happening lols ...I've seen the promo videos and their really making a bold move into tablet arena - did you hear the head of there coding (who's a woman) wants us to code in HTML and Java???

Apparently visual studio .NET etc. cant be supported on other platforms (ie ARM). Its upset the programming community BIG time.

-well, thats the postings I've seen. Personally, I Iike the look of Silverlight - anything to avoid HTML rubbish & Java...

Steve (lols im no hacker so normal name haha)

SteveS1

WinRT apps... ok so least C# is kept ...still ive bought the Silverlight book now crazy.gif

cy06

Installed with a virtual machine under win8 preBeta, made ​​a few pictures

post-65687-0-82102800-1316269308_thumb.p

post-65687-0-21503400-1316269372_thumb.p

post-65687-0-36456900-1316269412_thumb.p

post-65687-0-90274700-1316269671_thumb.p

post-65687-0-96902700-1316269722_thumb.p

SteveS1

cool cc_detective.gif

Teddy Rogers

What do you think of it?

If time permits - tomorrow - I plan on installing the x64 version on my Aspire One D255 netbook. I heard Win8 runs even better on low powered devices than Win7 does - and that already runs surprisingly great on it...

Ted.

k5h

Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death replaces crash details with a sad face

blue-screen-of-death-windows8-1-580x366.jpg

Departure

I am not too impressed, but its only a "Developers Preview". it feels more like a tablet Pc than a desktop. It said about memory usage was less than Windows 7 but I didn't see a big difference. Also it crashed on me, at first look there is nothing exciting about it unless you like the table style menu... Oh the task manger upgrade is pretty good.

The Dark

I don't really like the new interface to be honest ted I mean it looks like MS is trying to simlify the user Interface. In the way that Apple does just seems a bit terrible.

Hmm 3rd post I gotta get on here more lmao...

chickenbutt

no "Test Mode" and improve DEP..The interface is okay..it's suppose to be end-user friendly

The Dark

True but in this rare case I'll probably disable metro on my pc and only use it on my touch enabled laptop.

This looks like they are going backwards in order to get a touch enabled friendly solution.

Killboy

The Windows 8 Consumer Preview is available for download:
/>http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

It's so horribly screwed up, I cried a little.

• Like 1

mrexodia

It failed, they somewhat look like the ipad OS now crazy.gif

Not worth downloading...

0xFF

I hate it, i have to navigate through 10 windows just to Reboot / Shutdown ????

I mean, the begining screen, why can't it just take you directly to the Desktop ?

cozofdeath

Thanks for the screenshots guys. I was wondering what it looked like and now that I now I'm not sure I want to go through the time of trying to get installed virtually. Wasn't the point of Vista the look and feel. Then 7 was about simplicity. Now 8 is about mobility? I don't know but I hope the final version comes out good.

Teddy Rogers

Its going to take a bit of getting used to! I'm still trying to work out if I'm supposed to be using Windows 8 with a mouse or a joypad?

This might be good for the next X-Box console and mobile devices (and TV's) but I want a workstation to be a workstation. I also hate this trend of setting up a user account and the next thing you know its trying to be linked to other services. Google is notorious for this, I was hoping Microsoft would hold out.

Still... its got one or two nice touches but I'll stick with Windows 7...

Ted.

kao

In my opinion, it will be yet-another-Windows-ME : epic fail that everyone will try to forget as soon as possible.

However, I'm a technical guy, not your average Joe the User.

Teddy Rogers

Now that Windows 8 has gone to RTM and I guess a few of us will have given it a bit of a test drive. What do you think?

Personally I have been using it on/off for a number of months from preview to RTM build and I don't like it - as much as I try to. I honestly think there are some nice features in Windows 8 drowned out by that new tiled (dare I say it Metro) look that make you want to forget anything good about it.

After hearing about all the tweaks, optimisations and power savings done on the OS to suite smaller portable devices I thought it would be great on my netbook, so I gave it a try. Unfortunately not with a screen resolution of 1024 x 600 so I just don't understand why they wouldn't disable the tiles feature on those smaller devices...

Ted.

Blah

came across this incase anybody wants to check out another viewpoint

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Windows8ProductivityWhoMovedMyCheeseOhThereItIs.aspx

chickenbutt

The code optimizations that resulted in better requirements are good, and a lot of the UI refinements are good.

All the security stuff was compromised the first ISO release though and MS is pretending not to notice..

deepzero

Security as in SMTP or Licensing?

Maybe it isnt so bad after all? We`ll see, for now the "Metro" thing sent me running...

chickenbutt

@deepzero: All heap and stack overflow mitigations new to 8 were bypassed within a week of the first dev ISO leak.

IMO I always thought it was ironic that everyone tries to write secure code but nobody can make a working dissasembler. It's like software engineers never learned about compiler design(which they probably didn't, most CS professors cover the dragon book inside a week and move on to old algo coding or hardware concepts)..

It's just amazing how stupid a mass of educated people get when they get a lot of financing.. I guess win for criminals and security software vendors..

P.S. I think you can change to the 7 style desktop from metro permanantly. Also I can make animated metro elements without .NET already; they are just big buttons controlled by manifests..

Also, a MS engineer friend told me they rebuilt all repoes with a new optimized compilers and made improvements to thread marshalling. Good for gamers. I hope they did some power management stuff to around the thread marshalling for longer battery life.

Edited by chickenbutt (see edit history)

deepzero

Yeah, but there s only so much left oyu can do with software mitgations.

But the new thing SMEP (hardware feature to prevent execution of userland code with kernel privs) is annoying. Sure, it`s been bypassed already, but it does complicate things.

I ve seen some nice examples of tail call optimization on some screenshots a friend sent me.... will be interesting.

It's just amazing how stupid a mass of educated people get when they get a lot of financing.

Amen to that. probably also a motivation issue; ive seen people working more less straight for 15 hours on their own software (in their freetime), a 9-to-5 job will have difficulties keeping up with that...

Will check it out as soon as VBox supports w8 properly.

edit:

what, they have gone final already? How did they get that past me...?

Edited by deepzero (see edit history)