Tuts 4 You
Sign in to follow this  
Blah

Apple Patents Way to Prevent Concert Piracy

Blah
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/03/apple-patents-way-to-prevent-concert-piracy/
A new Apple patent intended for mobile devices could help the music and film industries stop people from illegally recording a concert or a movie playing in a theater.

The patent describes an invisible infrared sensor integrated into mobile iOS devices with a built-in camera — which includes iPhones, the iPod Touch and iPad 2. As the Apple patent explains, an infrared sensor in a mobile phone could be used to search for another signal that would say whether it is O.K. to activate and record footage with the phone’s camera.

The recording industry could easily use this technology to disable a camera during a music concert by blasting an infrared signal from the stage and in turn disabling an iPhone from recording the concert for purposes of sharing it online, violating copyright laws.

Infrared technology is not visible to the naked eye and has existed in standard appliance remote controls for years. It is usually used to turn televisions and DVD players on and off and to switch channels and adjust volume.

The patent also says that the technology could be used in museums and other venues to transmit information to a phone. For example, pointing a phone’s camera at a piece of artwork in a museum could return information about the work and display it on the screen.

The patent was uncovered by the blog Patently Apple and published by the United States Patent & Trademark Office on Thursday. It was filed in late 2009 by three Apple inventors, Victor Tiscareno, Kevin Johnson and Cindy Lawrence.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/06/apple-working-on-a-sophisticated-infrared-system-for-ios-cameras.html

JoeBullet

lame

cozofdeath

Yeah extremely lame. This screams I want more money. That protection seems pointless. These people need to relax a little I mean are they going to start erasing our memories of events and entertainment we pay for just so they can keep making money. Even if this did work and other companies came up with their own proprietary protection it will be bypassed with a simple camcorder or any of the other million recording devices around. Heavon forbid some one with less money trying to get a deal on something from someone making millions.

Teddy Rogers

Just because they patented it does not necessarily mean that it is something that would be practically used. I would be surprised if this actually saw the light of day, the concept behind it seems to be flawed already, possibly a spin off from it would be more practical similar to NFC?

Companies these days seem to be getting in to the habit of having patents out for pretty much anything they can think up just so they have some patents out there, just in case, as a way to hold back competition rather than to innovate...

Ted.

Adicus

How can video taping or taking a pic while at a concert constitute copyright infringement? If I wanna take a picture of my favorite band, why would this be bad? So, if you're witnessing a crime, or wanna video friends in an area that could have this technology, you're SOL? Nice. Even if Apple somehow gets this technology mainstream, hopefully other companies will rebuff it. Well, I already know of a solid work around; you could just wrap the phone in aluminum foil, poke a hole for the lens, and enjoy! :yu:

Teddy Rogers
you could just wrap the phone in aluminum foil, poke a hole for the lens, and enjoy!

The infra-red sensor looks to be inbuilt in to the image processor so it is part of the actual camera...

Ted.

Adicus

The infra-red sensor looks to be inbuilt in to the image processor so it is part of the actual camera...

Ted.

So, you're saying the signal is transmitted via the lens of the camera?

Teddy Rogers
So, you're saying the signal is transmitted via the lens of the camera?

It may be prudent to re-read the content of the article as it states...

Apple's patent describes systems and methods for receiving infrared data with a camera designed to detect images based on visible light. A system could include a camera and image processing circuitry electrically coupled to the camera. The image processing circuitry could determine whether each image detected by the camera includes an infrared signal with encoded data. If the image processing circuitry determines that an image includes an infrared signal with encoded data, the circuitry may route at least a portion of the image (e.g., the infrared signal) to circuitry operative to decode the encoded data. If the image processing circuitry determines that an image does not include an infrared signal with encoded data, the circuitry may route the image to a display or storage. Images routed to the display or storage could then be used as individual pictures or frames in a video because those images don't include any effects of infrared light communications.

Ted.

Adicus

It may be prudent to re-read the content of the article as it states...

Ted.

I read the original poster's "Quote". Reading the link itself wasn't appealing to me. The aluminum foil bit was a joke. Truck drivers put aluminum foil over their Quallcomm units to avoid being tracked as it blocks the signal. My criticism awhile back towards some Tutorial makers was due to omissions in content and general frustration as I wanted to understand better what they were doing, and just being hard to follow as not all of us are super computer whizzes.

deepzero

agreed, lame.

Truck drivers put aluminum foil over their Quallcomm units to avoid being tracked as it blocks the signal

who`s tracking them and why? :ph34r: