Tuts 4 You

Smartcheck problems

Jkimble

Since this is my first post I'll introduce myself first. I have Java and a semester of assembly language(MIPS) under my belt and thought I could learn more by reversing some crackMe's, which is super fun so far. I hope once that have caught up to the rest of you more experienced coders I could add something to the scene.

I have been attempting Lena's tutorials and am having problems with opening VB programs in Smartcheck. I configured it the way that was discussed in the tutorial but I keep getting a application error when staring the VB program. The error window tells me that the application failed to start(0x0000005). I tried the using the Re-pair patch thinking that was the problem but no luck. I tried different versions of Smartcheck running Windows 7 32 bit and still no luck. After extensive searching for answers I though I would try and see if anyone on the forum has seen this problem and might know a fix or a comparable program to use, or if I would just have to resort to fishing for the serial through OllyDbg all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Jkimble

Since this is my first post I'll introduce myself first. I have Java and a semester of assembly language(MIPS) under my belt and thought I could learn more by reversing some crackMe's, which is super fun so far. I hope once that have caught up to the rest of you more experienced coders I could add something to the scene.

I have been attempting Lena's tutorials and am having problems with opening VB programs in Smartcheck. I configured it the way that was discussed in the tutorial but I keep getting a application error when staring the VB program. The error window tells me that the application failed to start(0x0000005). I tried the using the Re-pair patch thinking that was the problem but no luck. I tried different versions of Smartcheck running Windows 7 32 bit and still no luck. After extensive searching for answers I though I would try and see if anyone on the forum has seen this problem and might know a fix or a comparable program to use, or if I would just have to resort to fishing for the serial through OllyDbg all the time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think smartcheck supports win7, only XP I believe. So, you can try first if compatibility mode for XP( don't know which SP) works or else try VMWare or any other Virtual Machine with XP installed on the guest.

I tried changing the compatibility mode and that didn't work unfortunately. I'll try to just work around it until I find it necessary to install VMWare or find another program to use. I got through one of the crackMe's just using OllyDbg on Lena's tutorial 10.

Edited by Jkimble
  • 1 month later...

SmartCheck error

CREATE_PROCESS: 00400000

LOAD_DLL base:77A10000 ntdll.dll

LOAD_DLL base:77380000 KERNEL32.dll

LOAD_DLL base:75E10000 KERNELBASE.dll

EXIT_PROCESS

c0000005 is Access Violation

Edited by HellRaider
  • Like 1

I'm getting the some error from SmartCheck when following lena151's tutorial 9. Hopefully, someone will come up with an answer.

Stack dump

C0000005:00000001:00000000:7C9666C6

Call stack

ntdll.dll!000666C6

ntdll.dll!00040F7E

Exception: Access Violation

EXIT_PROCESS